• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Salt = Cinavia

Nexgen76

It pop up on my PS3 don't know if this has been reported.

proof ? Box scan that sais cinavia ? the error 3 message on ps3. Some proof images would be nice

Please post an AnyDVD logfile, scan of the Blu-Ray back-cover and photo of screen message. Thanks.

Word has been that Salt and Resident Evil: Afterlife will both make use of Cinavia for some time now. Expect to begin seeing it in more bigger releases. This has been discussed in other forums thus far and I believe it was stated that both would have the Cinavia logo on the cases.

I view the initial use of Cinavia in movies like Losers and Karate Kid (2010) to be like the initial experimentation with X-Protect in the United States on DVDs with the release of Blade: House of Chthon and Snakes On A Plane. Now that no issues have arisen I expect it adoption of Cinavia will shift into a higher gear. It really comes down to how much it will cost for licensing Cinavia and whether studios want to pay for it.

Last edited:
they are on to something over at doom9..
What you should notice is the stripe at 15khz.

You know, if the shoe fits... ...this is Cinavia and it takes two clicks to strip. It is concurrent with some myths about how people supposedly stripped Cinavia by running weird filters. It is very easy to program a software to filter out such a signal, by comparison, looking for inaudible echoes is ghastly.

Source: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1458772#post1458772

they are on to something over at doom9..

Source: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1458772#post1458772

More like they are on something at Doom9:D

Look, while the folks over there at Doom do impress sometimes, this thing (Cinavia) is not going to be defeated by thought experiments done in some dudes basement over the course of a few minutes.

While this thing will eventually be defeated, I'm sure the authors made it a little more robust than that. Most likely, it's going to take people as smart as Frank and Peer and some of the folks over at Doom to play around with alot of samples to see how this thing operates.

I have no doubt the eureka moment will come, just not right now IMHO.

Look, while the folks over there at Doom do impress sometimes, this thing (Cinavia) is not going to be defeated by thought experiments done in some dudes basement over the course of a few minutes.

While this thing will eventually be defeated, I'm sure the authors made it a little more robust than that. Most likely, it's going to take people as smart as Frank and Peer and some of the folks over at Doom to play around with alot of samples to see how this thing operates.

You would be suprised what gets accomplished in "dudes basements".

i believe css on dvd's was cracked by some guy pissing around in his basement...

i believe css on dvd's was cracked by some guy pissing around in his basement...

Definitely not something that can be compared. There were numerous flaws with CSS that lead to it being broken. With respect to Cinavia, someone may have found something in the audio but it can't be that simple. The concept for the protection technology isn't new but the technology that we have and the computing power is so they can make it more complex and newer Blu-Ray players can process what might be needed. We see a humorously simple line of oddness in that specific audio location but that doesn't mean the protection will always be that easy to see. I see it as a precursor to spreading it more around the spectrum. The early releases are just a test and proof that it works. Just like BD+ I foresee the implementation being a bit more complex.

I could be totally wrong, of course, and I don't claim to have any inside information but while the concept of Cinavia isn't new they must surely have found ways to make it more robust and amplify it with the progression of technology.

how cinavia works

just so you know how cinavia works, it imprints it's "signature" in the sound of the movie, the part of the sound unaudible to the human ear. Anyone who does sound editing or fooling around with audacity knows that anything above 13khz is inaudible to the human ear. Cinavia protected movies have these "signatures" throughout the movie, so as soon as your device such as a ps3 and a few blueray players hit that part of the movie and detect that it's not the original (i.e. its playing off of another device thats not the original disk) you'll get the error message. strip that part of the sound, you strip the signature. Audacity or final cut pro can do it, but i wouldnt say easily. you have to run the movie through a filter to take everything out that's inaudible to the human ear (above 13khz if i remember right).

SALT is correct, it is protection by CINAVIA its on the back of the UK retail box.

13khz sounds a bit low, I'm sure it's more like 16-20 depending on age and sex. Plus that would make it a very easy thing to crack if that's all you had to do.

Last edited:
it's more like 16-20
Agreed. I have a signal generator, and a few years ago could still hear the tone as it approached 19kHz.
I've also got a CD containing alignment tones. There's a frequency sweep from 2Hz-20kHz included on the disc...I'll find it later and see how much of it I can still hear :D

Are all Salt Blu-ray Cinavia protected or just the all region (ABC) disc?
Can the region 1 be copied (I ask before I buy it).

I know what the logo looks like, thank you. My question is if anyone knows if the US & Canada region 1 or A, blu-ray is Cinavia, I already know the ABC region free is Cinavia, because I've seen that, and don't want to buy that version. I will however buy the region A or 1 if it's not Cinavia. So, any info on that version?

Thanks

Back