• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Roku, Plex and TrueHD Audio

You can feed an Oppo clone with SMB1 from a NAS and have there folders / categories. Enlighten me what's missing.
Dude, I am not trying to pick a fight. I don't know that you are missing anything, It's really all based on use case and what folks want. I like to use Plex because I can share it out to all my TVs/Rokus in the house. And using that method I can play large 4k files ripped from disc and share it out as well as a TV tuner that's on an antenna so I can play local stuff on all my TVs. Now for me that generally only means football games but its also great for weather. It just boils down to what you want.

No, no, no. You misunderstood me. All I'm trying to say that I don't accept any compromises regarding picture and HD audio coming from UHD discs. I think Plex is just a very good addition to the Oppo clone and having both is almost perfect.

No, no, no. You misunderstood me. All I'm trying to say that I don't accept any compromises regarding picture and HD audio coming from UHD discs. I think Plex is just a very good addition to the Oppo clone and having both is almost perfect.
Ah ok, understood. I have seen that device mentioned many times. Yet if I try to find it all I end up with is the old Oppo stuff that is no longer. Can you give me a reference?

Ah ok, understood. I have seen that device mentioned many times. Yet if I try to find it all I end up with is the old Oppo stuff that is no longer. Can you give me a reference?
Not easy to find in the US. There is a Spanish forum and a related shop that sells world wide.

The purchase process is a bit weird. You pay just a share to avoid high import duty and then pay the rest to the direct seller in China. The first payment is for toll reasons.

Reactions: DQ
Not easy to find in the US. There is a Spanish forum and a related shop that sells world wide.

The purchase process is a bit weird. You pay just a share to avoid high import duty and then pay the rest to the direct seller in China. The first payment is for toll reasons.
No flippin wonder I could not find it. Thanks.

So interesting update here. As one might expect between my TV, receiver, Plex and Roku there are a zillion settings to deal with or tweak. And recently I was working on attempting to get my receiver and TV to play nice and power each other on when one of them powers on.

So here I am reviewing my receiver manual and looking at the specs/capabilities of the HDMI ports. And while it has several HDMI "in" there is only a single "out" to a TV. Makes sense right? So I am looking at it's ARC spec and who sends what where and so on. Then I notice a footnote that the HDMI "out" is not just an out. It is also an in. Which instantly made sense to me and I thought I was an idiot for not assuming HDMI was bidirectional.

Why does this matter?

So my HDMI path looks like this. Roku(Plex) -> Receiver -> TV

But as I did in fact notice when I checked the sound path looked like this Roku(Plex) -> Receiver -> TV -> Receiver

So the sound I have been playing all this dang time was not from the Roku. It was from the TV after it processed it and or dealt with it. This explains a lot actually with some randomness I have always had.

So I had to turn "HDMI Control" off on my receiver so it would stop accepting signal from the TV and just output to it. This sacrifices any chance of the powering on situation through HDMI signal but the sound seems to be far better now. I am not really sure if the TV was just passing it through or processing it somehow but things seem far cleaner and precise now.

Back