• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripping Blu ray to iso vs folders for archival....?

ckelly33

I have a question about how best to create backups of BD-25 & 50's - with menus intact. Over the years I have burned family movies to BD-R's (25's and 50's) using PowerDirector. Now I've become concerned about the life of the BD-R discs themselves and have decided to make cloud backups. I want to retain as much detail from the discs I have created (including the menus) and just be able to download and burn (if needed) as easily as possible.

So my question is which rip output (iso or folders) is best for archiving and reproducing the entire disc (menus and all) for (obviously) non-protected discs?

Thanks

ISO
You can convert ISO to folder in 1 second with VIrtual CloneDrive.

I was reading a thread from 2016 - if it is still correct, if I am going to rip burned home/non-protected DVD movies to iso, I should use CloneDVD2 - correct (or has something changed in the last 5 years)?

My second question is IF I ever need to reproduce the disc from an iso, I would use the write existing data feature on CloneDVD2? And all of the menus, etc would be just as the original disc?

You may not be able to answer this last question but would older iso's I had created for archival before I had RedFox software work the same? (in the past I used ImgBurn to create them) - or would I need to recreate those iso's?

Thanks James.

I was reading a thread from 2016 - if it is still correct, if I am going to rip burned home/non-protected DVD movies to iso, I should use CloneDVD2 - correct (or has something changed in the last 5 years)?
I still recommend this, but if you only intend to watch the isos and not post-process anything, you can use AnyDVD ripper.

My second question is IF I ever need to reproduce the disc from an iso, I would use the write existing data feature on CloneDVD2? And all of the menus, etc would be just as the original disc?
Yes.

You may not be able to answer this last question but would older iso's I had created for archival before I had RedFox software work the same? (in the past I used ImgBurn to create them) - or would I need to recreate those iso's?
Yes. I don't think you need to recreate isos. Assuming AnyDVD was running.

Creating an iso straight from AnyDVD fails on a handful of my discs (BD-R's, authored with PowerDirector, no copy protection/encryption). I've also tried ImgBurn and CloneBD - both fail as well. I can't figure this out because these discs play fine and I wouldn't think there'd be any sort of encryption added by PowerDrirector.

Any tips here? Anything I can tweak in the settings? I've done 30 DVD's and 25 BD-R's without issue....but these last 5 are giving me issues (pretty sure 3 of 5 are 50GB, if it matters). I've ripping toimage and folder without success

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A successful tip will get you a pizza via PayPal!

Creating an iso straight from AnyDVD fails on a handful of my discs (BD-R's, authored with PowerDirector, no copy protection/encryption). I've also tried ImgBurn and CloneBD - both fail as well. I can't figure this out because these discs play fine and I wouldn't think there'd be any sort of encryption added by PowerDrirector.

Any tips here? Anything I can tweak in the settings? I've done 30 DVD's and 25 BD-R's without issue....but these last 5 are giving me issues (pretty sure 3 of 5 are 50GB, if it matters). I've ripping toimage and folder without success

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A successful tip will get you a pizza via PayPal!
The error message and an AnyDVD log would be needed on any disc that isn't working.

Does copying to folder work?

.but these last 5 are giving me issues (pretty sure 3 of 5 are 50GB, if it matters). I've ripping toimage and folder without success

These are all burnt discs. You wouldn't need AnyDVD anyway because the protection should have been removed beforehand.

And I bet the 50 GB BD-Rs have all issues at the layer break from layer 0 to 1 when 25GB are reached. And I bet they were made with a LG drive that is a miserable burner for 50Gb discs. Most likely you can't save them 100%. ISOPuzzle or DVDisaster might be of help to rescue as much as possible.

Does copying to folder work?
I'll try again but pretty sure I've run these discs through every option that I know of. I'll first try to go straight to iso (again) to generate an error/log, then will try this (again) and will post what I get here as well if it doens't complete

.but these last 5 are giving me issues (pretty sure 3 of 5 are 50GB, if it matters). I've ripping toimage and folder without success

These are all burnt discs. You wouldn't need AnyDVD anyway because the protection should have been removed beforehand.

And I bet the 50 GB BD-Rs have all issues at the layer break from layer 0 to 1 when 25GB are reached. And I bet they were made with a LG drive that is a miserable burner for 50Gb discs. Most likely you can't save them 100%. ISOPuzzle or DVDisaster might be of help to rescue as much as possible.

They aren't all 50GB. I think only 2-3 are. My drive is indeed an LG. I will try your suggestions and post the results ASAP. Between these three suggestions, I have a few hours of work to do!

While I am ripping to a folder (and waiting on the error to most likely generate), here's what I'm doing and seeing:

1. Whether I choose rip to image or folder/harddisk, the process always starts fine.
  2. Good discs complete, but the trouble ones I can hear the drive slow down as it tries to read trouble sectors (I'm guessing this is why it slows). This happens whether I use AnyDVD or any other solution. The discs are clean and they are playable. I have 2 copies of every disc I've made - on two different brands of media (my original backup method)
  3. Once these discs slow, I wait minutes or hours (depending on the disc) for it to hopefully complete but these never have (obviously why I am here). Ultimately I get an error
  4. This is one of the interesting parts - the discs (if damaged or had a write error) I would assume would slow/time out at the same percentage. But they don't. As I type, I've tun the same disc twice. The first time it stopped at 34%, on the second run it just ran to completion LOL!!
So one down - I will see how the others compare (ripping to folder the 100th time around). I'm happy with my folder, but for the sake of uniformity - can I get it to an iso without pulling my hair out? (keeping menus, etc from the original disc intact)?

(@coopervid) And yes, I know I don't need AnyDVD to rip these unprotected discs, but I already have this software

(@mmdavis) the log of the disc that HAD been giving me an issue is attached, I ran it after the last unsuccessful run. But then it ran to completion....you may want another

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.1.0_Info_J_20130109_122153_8247F162_00000000.ziplog
    94.1 KB · Views: 1
I've tried this disc 3x with AnyDVD today. It stops at various percentages (23,20,19) and Gives various sectors as the issue (though same file). The photo on next post

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.1.0_Info_J_2013 Kelly.ziplog
    183.3 KB · Views: 1
Image of 3 errors on same disc as noted above

Attachments

• Same disc.JPG
    Same disc.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 5
Here is the log file of the backup 'clone' of the disc given above - which also ended in error - again at a different percentage 54% and different sectors (8695253-8695267). I tried to 'continue' but no dice.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.1.0_InfoA.ziplog
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bad burns. For 25GB discs use Verbatim. Don't burn any 50GB discs with a LG burner. You need a Pioneer burner and you have to slow burning speed down to 2x for it to burn 50GB discs w/o issues. And you need Verbatim Japan 50GB discs. Anything else is junk.

Bad burns. For 25GB discs use Verbatim. Don't burn any 50GB discs with a LG burner. You need a Pioneer burner and you have to slow burning speed down to 2x for it to burn 50GB discs w/o issues. And you need Verbatim Japan 50GB discs. Anything else is junk.

I use Verbatim for at least one of the discs for every project. Sound like a pioneer burner is my next purchase. I bought the LG for M Disc and have never used it

Gonna try ISOPuzzle or DVDisaster as you recommended for the 4 remaining discs. If all else fails. I will just capture the video output and rechapter and re-burn (with the time I have spent, this would have been the 'easy' solution).

After a read error, it has let me continue creating the folder. If it is able to power through and finish with just the one read error of a few sectors -any speculation as to how much of a difference it will make in my folder/iso (assuming it completes after just one read error)?

Never mind....on to Plan B

Last edited:
Back