• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved with AnyDVD 6.4.8.4] "Get Smart" not completely fixed by AnyDVD 6.4.8.1

fordman

I've started a new thread since all the existing threads have been closed. I logged on to post this and now see that a 6.4.8.2 Beta has been posted, but the release notes do not specifically state whether it addressed the issue that I found with the 6.4.8.1. I'll try re-ripping with 6.4.8.2, but thought I'd post my findings here so the AnyDVD developers will know whether it has been addressed, and if not try again to complete fix this. I've also attached the 6.4.8.1 log file.

1. I re-ripped with the AnyDVD Ripper.

2. Burned with ImgBurn 2.4.2.0 and chose the original layer break point (Vob/Cell ID = 5/1 in the AnyDVD Rip). This layer break also coincides with the point where title 8 of the alternative branching version hands off to title 9.

3. Played in a Toshiba HD-A2 HDDVD player and a Pioneer DVR-270. Both players confirmed the issue I had already identified with Windows Media Player and other software players on my computer.

4. Do a time search to approximately 58 minutes. This is within title 8 before the switch to title 9. The next alternative scene is where "Max" throws the phone receiver at the Kaos henchman (Mr. Schtarker). As long as you either press enter when the option to play the alternative scene is presented OR if you just let it go away and ignore it, all is fine. The issue is if you instead rewind in an attempt to get the option to pop up again. It will NOT pop again (it does on the original disc). Instead it "rewinds" back to the beginning of title 9. This will happen over and over and any further attempt to fast forward or chapter skip to move past the phone-throwing scene is useless.

I assume the developers have access to the original DVD, so I request they investigate their rips also for this problem. Recommend burning to dual layer DVD to verify it happens on their standalone players also. By the way, I found that this also happens when playing the original DVD on my computer with AnyDVD active, so it is not just an issue with the rip, but with how AnyDVD handles this branching.

fordman

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_G_GET_SMART.zip
    102.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The problem has not known to exist until now. I cannot recreate this playing back the files from my HDD using PowerDVD8 or PowerDVD7. It does happen with WMP11 but the bonus takes aren't even viewed. It just goes back to the beginning of Title 9 when the first one is encountered in Title 9.

They don't. But I'll send a PM to James.

Thanks, I've gone over some other points, both in the title 8 and title 9 parts of this alternative version, and they work fine when re-winding - the optional selection screen pops up and the viewer can choose to view or ignore it without any similar issues at all - it works just like the original at these points. So, while I'd need to watch the entire movie all over again, the re-wind issue appears to only be at this one scene. Again, as long as you watch or ignore it the first time, all is OK, but if you ignore the selection screen and then re-wind when you get back to the movie, it never gives the selection screen and instead goes into this endless "do loop." The only recovery is to go to the main menu and start again.

As DrinkLyeAndDie indicates, I first found this only on the computer with Windows Media Player 11. PowerDVD has been "broken" on my computer for some time, so I tried alternatives like VLC media player (VideoLAN) and the Acer Arcade that was included with the computer and had the same issue. That's when I decided to burn a copy to test on standalone DVD players to make sure, and I verified that it happens when playing the DVD with AnyDVD loaded on the computer.

It's hard to believe this is a protection scheme....almost seems like a misguided DVD authoring attempt to implement branching. The branching itself is pretty elegant, I suppose, but the split titles is odd indeed...

On my system WMP11 wouldn't even allow me to view the bonus scenes. It just kicked me back to the beginning of Title 9.

My standalone player was fine with playing the bonus scenes but, yes, instead of being able to rewind once I had watched them it jumped back to the beginning of Title 9 if I tried to rewind.

On my system WMP11 wouldn't even allow me to view the bonus scenes. It just kicked me back to the beginning of Title 9.

My standalone player was fine with playing the bonus scenes but, yes, instead of being able to rewind once I had watched them it jumped back to the beginning of Title 9 if I tried to rewind.

OK, so it sounds like you are having the same issues I found with my standalone players, unless you are saying that rewinding at ALL the bonus/alternative scenes caused it to rewind. On mine, it only happens at that one specific scene (the first bonus scene in title 9).

Meanwhile, WMP11 does properly allow me to view all the bonus scenes, including this one. It just messes up if I rewind before this specific one. So, my WMP11 acts exactly as my standalone players do.

I tried to re-rip with AnyDVD 6.4.8.2 Beta and was encouraged when I saw the ripper showing that it was "repairing defective DVD structure" (6.4.8.1 did go through that phase), but as it got to 100% it yielded a "CloneMap 2" error and left the rip directory empty. So, if 6.4.8.2 was supposed to improve the handling of this or other titles, it might have broken some.... I've attached the log file I made with 6.4.8.2...

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_G_GET_SMART.zip
    102.7 KB · Views: 1
So, if 6.4.8.2 was supposed to improve the handling of this or other titles, it might have broken some.... I've attached the log file I made with 6.4.8.2...

Yes, that's a known issue. I actually discovered it when trying verify your problem. It's being looked into.

I do not believe this release was supposed to specifically improve handling of this disc but nonetheless, there is a problem if you try to compress to DVD-5 using AnyDVD 6.4.8.2 beta and CloneDVD. The repairing DVD structure doesn't occur if you simply rip without compressing.

Yes, that's a known issue. I actually discovered it when trying verify your problem. It's being looked into.

I do not believe this release was supposed to specifically improve handling of this disc but nonetheless, there is a problem if you try to compress to DVD-5 using AnyDVD 6.4.8.2 beta and CloneDVD. The repairing DVD structure doesn't occur if you simply rip without compressing.

6.4.8.2 was intended more for Rendition, and possibly, to a lesser extent, Wall-E. However, it seems to have created more issues for Get Smart.

OK, I was only using the AnyDVD Ripper, since I wasn't sure whether CloneDVD would undo any fixes 6.4.8.1 made for Get Smart. I'll re-rip using CloneDVD with AnyDVD 6.4.8.2 in the background...

Update: Using CloneDVD 2.9.2.0 with AnyDVD 6.4.8.2 in the background yields the same "CloneMap 2 TCE" error as did the AnyDVD Ripper alone even though I was ripping Get Smart without compression.

Last edited:
OK, I was only using the AnyDVD Ripper, since I wasn't sure whether CloneDVD would undo any fixes 6.4.8.1 made for Get Smart. I'll re-rip using CloneDVD with AnyDVD 6.4.8.2 in the background...

Update: Using CloneDVD 2.9.2.0 with AnyDVD 6.4.8.2 in the background yields the same "CloneMap 2 TCE" error as did the AnyDVD Ripper alone even though I was ripping Get Smart without compression.

I hadn't tried just the AnyDVD ripper. Nonetheless, the problem has been forwarded to the right people. I'm sure it'll be resolved soon enough. :)

I hadn't tried just the AnyDVD ripper. Nonetheless, the problem has been forwarded to the right people. I'm sure it'll be resolved soon enough. :)

OK. I was only replying to your statement that "The repairing DVD structure doesn't occur if you simply rip without compressing," but apparently only mentioned the CloneMap 2 error. For me on this title, CloneDVD did indeed show that it was repairing the DVD structure, and it failed at the same point that AnyDVD Ripper did - right at the end, leaving no files.

Yes, I'll just wait patiently now...

Thanks,
fordman

OK! I've installed 6.4.8.4 Beta and re-ripped with just the AnyDVD Ripper (no CloneDVD) and now that problem scene works fine, now matter what combination of rewinds, etc. that I do. This is with WMP 11 on my computer. I have yet to burn and try it on the standalone players, but have confidence that it should work. I've played other scenes and they seem OK also. Thanks, Slysoft!

I consider this closed at this point. I'll burn and watch the alternate scene again, and will only report back if I do happen to find an issue...

OK! I've installed 6.4.8.4 Beta and re-ripped with just the AnyDVD Ripper (no CloneDVD) and now that problem scene works fine, now matter what combination of rewinds, etc. that I do. This is with WMP 11 on my computer. I have yet to burn and try it on the standalone players, but have confidence that it should work. I've played other scenes and they seem OK also. Thanks, Slysoft!

I consider this closed at this point. I'll burn and watch the alternate scene again, and will only report back if I do happen to find an issue...

6.4.8.3 worked perfectly for that issue at 1:49 in Title 9 using PowerDVD7, PowerDVD8, and a standalone DVD player. It didn't play right in WMP11 and WinDVD9. TMT wasn't checked.

6.4.8.4 worked perfectly for that issue at 1:49 in Title 9 using PowerDVD7, PowerDVD8, WinDVD9, TMT, WMP11, and a standalone DVD player.

Last edited:
6.4.8.3 worked perfectly for that issue at 1:49 in Title 9 using PowerDVD7, PowerDVD8, and a standalone DVD player. It didn't play right in WMP11 and WinDVD9. TMT wasn't checked.

6.4.8.4 worked perfectly for that issue at 1:49 in Title 9 using PowerDVD7, PowerDVD8, WinDVD9, TMT, WMP11, and a standalone DVD player.

Thanks for the extra info. By the time I got to it 6.4.8.4 was already released so I just went with it. I did record and test in my Toshiba HD-A2 standalone player and all is well, just as it was in WMP11 and VLC Media Player. I'm not familiar with TMT, but will see if I can find a link to it.

Looking at the structure for title 9 with PGCEdit, it appears that the first 15 or so cells now correspond to a VOB/Cell ID of 8/1 instead of the 5/1 that 6.4.8.1 inserted there. The problem with that is that 5/1 has an actual duration of 1 min, 41 sec and 15 frames instead of the 15 frames that is displayed once ripped. If you use PGCEdit "Rebuild Time Map of Current PGC," it will change the time from 15 frames to the full 1:41.15 for each occurrence, adding quite a few minutes to the title. I only tried this after the default, unedited rip failed to play on my computer or standalones, but adjusting the time map didn't help. I'm guessing that when one rewinded into the cells with the false durations in title 9, that may have caused the playback issues. VOB/Cell ID 8/1 remains 15 frames even after adjusting the time map, so that's probably part of why it helped fix the issue.

Now, onto the next DVD!

fordman

the 2008 movie won't rip for me with the latest anydvd programs, the stable and the recently released beta in combination with dvddecrypter or using the anydvd ripper. Both rips fail when attempting to be read by dvdshrink.

the 2008 movie won't rip for me with the latest anydvd programs, the stable and the recently released beta in combination with dvddecrypter or using the anydvd ripper. Both rips fail when attempting to be read by dvdshrink.

PLEASE read this before you post

Without a logfile AND a detailed explanation of what the errors you receive while ripping there is nothing anyone can do the resolve the issue.

Third party apps such as dvddecrypter and DVD Shrink can have problems with AnyDVD, which is NOT the fault of AnyDVD. This has been said by the developers repeatedly, as Frank, of Slysoft Support, says here.

You might also get a quicker response also if you create your own thread instead of resurrecting a nearly 4 year old thread. AnyDVD has been considerably improved since 14 November 2008.

Last edited:
And that is why there is a search function :p

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

Right click the little Fox in the tray and use the rip video DVD to harddisk (not Image) option.
Import that rip folder into DVDShrink (via open files).

-W

Back