• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] The Happening region 1 (just a heads up)

also, turn off region coding in the blu ray section only, or throughout?

Obviously only in the blu-ray section as that's what you're trying to play. As for PowerDVD, I recommend setting a firewall rule to disallow it to access the internet. That option to not have it connect automatically is useless. Barring a firewall rule, yes, disable internet completely. You'll note that I dislike any of these options. Hopefully a solution will present itself in the semi-near future. For now, my best recommendation is to block PowerDVD using a firewall rule. Also note that Iron Man will NOT play correctly on the latest and greatest build of PowerDVD 8. It's very possible this movie is having similar problems. So, you could try a previous build of PowerDVD 8 and see if that works.

It's funny, I had ironman playing just fine last week on a older version of ultra 7.3, not even updated for a while... and region codes off, and had internet disabled to powerdvd... still no go.

Then you'll need to roll back to a previous build of PowerDVD 8. As I don't have this movie I can't really help other than the suggestions I've already given.

Ok, there may be something, that you'd like to do here.

This is probably going to get a little longer - some of this are just guesses, but I think they should still be pretty accurate.

BD-Live discs tend to break down for a certain simple reason: the downloaded content just doesn't match our self made certificate.
Basically, BDLive seems to have the capability to "update" the Java code that is already on the disc.
That includes JAR files that get downloaded and are virtually interpreted by the player as if they were actually on the disc itself.

These files are signed, and I'm pretty sure, the signatures are authenticated via app.discroot.crt.

bu.discroot.crt has a different purpose - it's for a certain descriptive file that comes with the download.

Now, what I'm going to do, is to block BDLive completely, so this mess doesn't even show up.

But it might be nice to still have the option. Since you already have the code to do this, it might be a nice addition to fix the BDLive JAR files after they got downloaded (re-sign them with an appropriate certificate).

The path where PDVD (only checked that one) downloads the files to is:

Code:
<current user>\<app data>\CyberLink\PowerDVD8\LocalStorage\BUDA
Now the disc id and manufacturer id from id.bdmv come into play:
<man.id>\<disc.id>\<disc.id>.bumf
is an xml format file that contains the locations of some of the downloaded files and their virtual destination relative to the base of the disc.

example (Iron Man region A):
Code:
...\BUDA\7fff5555\414331313731313042565230\414331313731313042565230.bumf
The bumf file is signed (.busf -> bu.discroot.crt), but that's of no concern at the moment.

Then if you look around below the BUDA directory, you'll discover the downloaded JAR files.

All there is left to do, is to sign them again.

BUT: it seems, there again is a little extra quirk: you remember the "organization" element of the certs having the format:
organization.<man.id>

For these JARs, it seems to require:
<disc.id>.<man.id>

This all seems to be a lot of hassle, especially after disabling BDLive.
But some people may want to keep their BDLive capability and still remove region coding.

Nice investigative work, Peer. :) That seems to be quite a mess they've got going on there. What a pain.

Nice investigative work, Peer. :) That seems to be quite a mess they've got going on there. What a pain.

Lawyers in lawsuits use this technique alot. What they do is they attempt to stall or prevent the trail by burying the plantiff's lawyers in so much paperwork/filings, etc that some plaintiffs either end up settling or spend hundreds of extra hours just trying to make sense of it all.

It seems the DRM overlords are trying to take a few pages from that playbook. Include a bunch of unecessary/stupid stuff and spread it all over the place so that it just becomes impractical to spend the time to figure it out.

They don't know that you guys eat confusion for dinner and wash it down with Rum Punch:rock:

Peer, James, and crew are the best I've ever seen. I'm sure it'll get sorted out. Compared to BD+, I can't imagine this would be too difficult. Just tedious.

6.4.7.3 behaves the same as 6.4.7.0 on a 6.4.7.0 decrypted disc .iso: 50 odd seconds of black screen, then FOX warning screen - press enter and it plays fine.

6.4.7.3 behaves the same as 6.4.7.0 on a 6.4.7.0 decrypted disc .iso: 50 odd seconds of black screen, then FOX warning screen - press enter and it plays fine.

You need to go back to the original disc. This an example of why it may not always be wise to create decrypted .isos. And using .isos for troubleshooting is generally unwise.

Last edited:
You need to go back to the original disc. This an example of why it may not always be wise to create decrypted .isos. And using .isos for troubleshooting is generally unwise.

Can you please try AnyDVD 6.4.7.3?
Thank you!

Using a undecrypted .iso, I still get the same firmware warning. :confused:

I believe he meens the 'ORIGINAL' store bought movie disc..not a already made backup.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_H_HAPPENING.zip
    169.2 KB · Views: 7
  • AnyDVD_Info_H_HAPPENING_backup.zip
    155.8 KB · Views: 3
Now, what I'm going to do, is to block BDLive completely, so this mess doesn't even show up.

But it might be nice to still have the option. Since you already have the code to do this, it might be a nice addition to fix the BDLive JAR files after they got downloaded (re-sign them with an appropriate certificate).

Hi Peer,

Thank you for the exhaustive explanation of the structure of BD-Live downloads.

But why don't you want to add this functionality to AnyDVD? You could probably "watch" a number of BD-Live folders (and their subfolders) of all popular BD players, and modify .jar files there as they appear. Also scan those folders on AnyDVD activation in case something changed when AnyDVD was disabled. Or maybe something like this. Various media players do this to populate their libraries (though I usually turn this functionality off if I can). I could imagine some difficulties with this approach though like that maybe players will load .jars as soon as they download them but probably you will find the solution for this.

Also, are all additional BD-Live files downloaded at once or gradually, e.g. if you launch one application on disc (click its button in the menu) only its files are downloaded, launch another application - another set of files is downloaded etc. so you never have all possible files on disc unless you start all applications?

The problem with my application is that it's not very practical to use. First, you have to copy and decrypt files to hard drive using either AnyDVD or some other application (and no other application handles BD+), then apply region code removal with my program, then create an .iso file with ImgBurn to play. The last step would not be needed if either players have the functionality to play from hard drive, or you and James implement 'virtual images' in VCD. Both are just dreams right now.

BTW, currently my program generates private and public key pair anew every time (somewhere inside Windows), and it discards them after use. Public key is inside the cetificate, and it is used to verify signatures made with private key, but no new signatures could be made as private key is gone. This is easy to change, of course. Either use the same key every time or save private key among other Blu-ray files. I believe AnyDVD uses the same key for all certificates. But in order to re-sign BD-Live downloaded files so that they can be verified with your certificate, I will need the private key... :)

Last edited:
Lawyers in lawsuits use this technique alot. What they do is they attempt to stall or prevent the trail by burying the plantiff's lawyers in so much paperwork/filings, etc that some plaintiffs either end up settling or spend hundreds of extra hours just trying to make sense of it all.

It seems the DRM overlords are trying to take a few pages from that playbook. Include a bunch of unecessary/stupid stuff and spread it all over the place so that it just becomes impractical to spend the time to figure it out.

They don't know that you guys eat confusion for dinner and wash it down with Rum Punch:rock:

Well said, but I think we should cool off a little here - this is not about DRM.

The fact that these JAR files are signed is just a means to protect the users and I'm not being ironical here...

The java code on blu-ray discs has a certain potential to perform hazardous tasks on your player. Some privileged functions like pesistent storage (HDD) access or internet connectivity require the code to be signed in order to prevent vicious code to run on your player or to modify the java code.

That's particularly important when downloading java code from the internet through BDLive. I guess this should be crystal clear to anyone.

This makes our job a little more difficult, because we have to do exactly that: modify the java code to - well - improve playability of the discs.

You might argue that it's not appropriate that the BDA decides what and what not to allow to run on your player. You want that to be up to you.

But still - let's not mix things up, JAR signing is not to prevent anyone from copying anything. Not DRM 8)

Back