• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[ Resolved]Maybe Discovery Plus Should Be Considered After Peacock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimc115

I noticed a few days ago, Discovery had completed moving CNN over to their website.....making me wonder if they are going to move each network one by one until finished....HLN, Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, TCM, HBO, Cinemax.....and so one....there's a lot of them....

It will be one huge streaming service when finished if they add them all.
Might be worth thinking about.

I noticed a few days ago, Discovery had completed moving CNN over to their website.....making me wonder if they are going to move each network one by one until finished....HLN, Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, TCM, HBO, Cinemax.....and so one....there's a lot of them....

If you go by the amount of layoffs at just HBO Max it seems that consolidation is already in the works. And just off the cuff, I would think consolidation is the entire goal because it appears to me even the big content creators have much trouble making enough content to be a streaming service.

This is evidence of what I have predicted coming true. The content creators are not streaming networks and have a lot of trouble and added expense trying to be one. The streaming networks are not content creators and also have a lot of trouble and added expense trying to be one. As far as I can tell (this is all anecdotal) no one is making much money streaming content they create. So consolidation will be required for it to be worth it. This is how Netflix did so well for so long until all its content got pulled.

And to bring this all back to AS. Ultimately the app will have to evolve with the market but I have not doubt it will do that no problem.

When it is all done and we know exactly what is happening, we will make a decision.;) Remember we always will pick a provider that is available to the many, not just a few. If you are from a country that has only 1 streaming channel I feel your pain, but that will not attract people to the program.

Don't forgot thier are plenty of ways to get around geo blocking I my self am in Australia watching Peacock Premium Plus through a dns proxy

Providers are currently blocking all VPN access to streaming services. They are consistently blocking all IPs from every provider that they can see, if you have one that works, good for you, but its going to get harder and harder.

I have two that I use and are pretty reliable smart dns proxy and another one called dns4me. They constantly updated them to to make sure they are working I can get usa Netflix with dns4me

Discovery+ is not replacing HBO Max. The two services will co-exist and increasingly share content until next summer when a new service, under a new name is launched fully integrating the two. Both services will be sold to the international market including Europe and Latin America -- basically wherever Discovery Networks already has a presence, and they have a very large one in Europe.

People should expect a significant amount of HBO Max's streaming catalog to suddenly disappear with no warning. The company is slashing expenses, and deleting back catalog content will save them tens of millions of dollars. These cuts are by no means finished yet. Only about 1/3rd, mostly encompassing children's entertainment and some ancillary content licensed from their partners, is gone so far. You can expect a further culling of older classic movie and series content soon. Discovery+ is also removing content from their streaming service because they want to license it to their traditional broadcast, satellite, streaming, and cable partners first. This content will return in 2023 and 2024, but also check Amazon Prime, because they traditionally licensed a lot of material from Discovery.

The new management in charge of HBO Max is frugal to say the least. They want an end to bloated streaming content budgets, especially surrounding scripted content. You can expect a tremendous increase in reality/documentary/informational content like shows you would see on HGTV or the Cooking Channel, but these don't have to be lousy. HBO's documentary unit does very good work. HBO's traditional high-budget series will be limited going forward to a few showcase presentations annually that can appeal to a broader mass American audience. That will also mean less focus on shows targeting different minority groups and likely less Spanish-language content.

You've contradicted yourself multiple time throughout your post...
Discovery+ is not replacing HBO Max. The two services will co-exist and increasingly share content until next summer when a new service, under a new name is launched fully integrating the two.The New Service will be Discovery+

Discovery+ is also removing content from their streaming service because they want to license it to their traditional broadcast, satellite, streaming, and cable partners first.

You can't have something on your service then remove it and offer it to someone else 1st.

Where did you get this information from???

Last edited:
You've contradicted yourself multiple time throughout your post...
Discovery+ is not replacing HBO Max. The two services will co-exist and increasingly share content until next summer when a new service, under a new name is launched fully integrating the two.The New Service will be Discovery+

Discovery+ is also removing content from their streaming service because they want to license it to their traditional broadcast, satellite, streaming, and cable partners first.

You can't have something on your service then remove it and offer it to someone else 1st.

Where did you get this information from???

1) I don't know whose post you quoted in the first paragraph because it wasn't mine. I never wrote, "The New Service will be Discovery+."

What I have said consistently is that beginning next summer, starting in the USA, a new platform will be launched under a new yet-to-be-announced name that will integrate HBO Max with Discovery+.

2) Not every title on Discovery+ is available in every region. The original plan was to launch more of this content originally produced for North American audiences in Europe on Discovery+ for the first time and vice-versa. Those plans are canceled. Instead, this content will be offered to their traditional linear content partners (TV, cable, satellite) and some other streaming services first. In most of these cases, these shows are being pulled off the streaming platform even in their original form. If you didn't know, a great deal of Discovery content is re-produced for international audiences. For example, a show first intended for North America but planned for distribution in the UK and Ireland will have the American narrator replaced with someone from either country with the appropriate accent. Discovery also repurposes a lot of its English language content into multiple languages for different markets, either dubbing the speakers or subtitling them. The CEO wants to first monetize this content through traditional distributors because they can make more money than just 'dumping it' on a streaming service where you pay one price for everything. In the words of the CEO, you devalue your product by not offering exclusive geoblocked limited licensing for linear content partners before putting it on streaming. If it is already available on your streaming platform, say in English, content partners will pay much less for that content if they feel a substantial part of their audience is already comfortable watching English language shows and watched it on, say, Discovery+.

3) I report on this industry professionally, but much of this information is also available from investor presentations and conferences, some available to the public. Many of these concepts and strategies were touched on in David Zaslav's August 4th second quarter earnings call. You can listen to a replay of this event until at least Sept. 4 here:
Code:
https://ir.corporate.discovery.com/news-and-events/events-and-presentations/event-details/2022/Warner-Bros-Discovery-Second-Quarter-2022-Earnings-Call-/default.aspx.
You may have trouble on that website clicking to open links. If so, right click and choose "open in a new tab." This will get you to the website that archives their shareholder presentations and events, which you need to register on to access. At least 75% of what I wrote about is covered in that event alone. The slide attached below also references the concept, emphasizing the new push towards licensing content for traditional linear TV partners.

Attachments

• course correction.png
    course correction.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:

personally I would rather have now tv so we could download all the sky films and entertainment also I believe peacock is also through sky and now tv so would make more sense

1) I don't know whose post you quoted in the first paragraph because it wasn't mine. I never wrote, "The New Service will be Discovery+."

What I have said consistently is that beginning next summer, starting in the USA, a new platform will be launched under a new yet-to-be-announced name that will integrate HBO Max with Discovery+.

2) Not every title on Discovery+ is available in every region. The original plan was to launch more of this content originally produced for North American audiences in Europe on Discovery+ for the first time and vice-versa. Those plans are canceled. Instead, this content will be offered to their traditional linear content partners (TV, cable, satellite) and some other streaming services first. In most of these cases, these shows are being pulled off the streaming platform even in their original form. If you didn't know, a great deal of Discovery content is re-produced for international audiences. For example, a show first intended for North America but planned for distribution in the UK and Ireland will have the American narrator replaced with someone from either country with the appropriate accent. Discovery also repurposes a lot of its English language content into multiple languages for different markets, either dubbing the speakers or subtitling them. The CEO wants to first monetize this content through traditional distributors because they can make more money than just 'dumping it' on a streaming service where you pay one price for everything. In the words of the CEO, you devalue your product by not offering exclusive geoblocked limited licensing for linear content partners before putting it on streaming. If it is already available on your streaming platform, say in English, content partners will pay much less for that content if they feel a substantial part of their audience is already comfortable watching English language shows and watched it on, say, Discovery+.

3) I report on this industry professionally, but much of this information is also available from investor presentations and conferences, some available to the public. Many of these concepts and strategies were touched on in David Zaslav's August 4th second quarter earnings call. You can listen to a replay of this event until at least Sept. 4 here: https://ir.corporate.discovery.com/...cond-Quarter-2022-Earnings-Call-/default.aspx. You may have trouble on that website clicking to open links. If so, right click and choose "open in a new tab." This will get you to the website that archives their shareholder presentations and events, which you need to register on to access. At least 75% of what I wrote about is covered in that event alone. The slide attached below also references the concept, emphasizing the new push towards licensing content for traditional linear TV partners.

Nothing you stated about Discovery is new.

Well, maybe, we'd like to see VuDu or some other provider that is accessible to everyone, not just a privileged few. I think maybe you're pushing too hard. The devs will decide what they decide irrespective of what we try to push on them. Chill pills all around! :rolleyes:

Well, maybe, we'd like to see VuDu or some other provider that is accessible to everyone, not just a privileged few. I think maybe you're pushing too hard. The devs will decide what they decide irrespective of what we try to push on them. Chill pills all around! :rolleyes:

I'm not pushing for anything and as RedFox1 already stated...we don't know how the two services will combine. If it is merged into Discovery...we will lose a provider we already have.
This is also a ways off. Now TV is very limited in audience....but is growing, however...SKY TV will never be worldwide. It's interrelated to too many other providers.

VUDU content for the most part can be moved. If Amazon has it...it can be moved there. If Disney has it...move it there...

Let's get Peacock first. I am not pushy but an eta timeframe (1 month, 6 months?) would be cool. Is it in closed testing?

Let's wait because I heard from a good source that Paramount+ and Showtime have a deal in the works that's going to happen. So let's just wait and see. We already have P+ so adding Showtime will be a big job.;)

Let's wait because I heard from a good source that Paramount+ and Showtime have a deal in the works that's going to happen. So let's just wait and see. We already have P+ so adding Showtime will be a big job.;)

Excellent point RedFox1....I totally forgot that Viacom reacquired Paramount....so now they are all one big happy family again also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back