• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] HELP! I'm new and need help and encouragement

I
Can't understand though why my friend still uses DVD Decrypter and Roxio just like she taught me and she never has a problem :((((((

You cannot use dvd decrypter to rip with Anydvd and expect the output to work properly in reauthoring programs when using dvds containing structural protection. Your friend is due for a big surprise at some point. DVD decrypter should not be used at all.

Your life would be made much simpler by using Clonedvd.

joleca said:
I think you'll be very pleased with the results as you're already using quality media

The only evidence of this is a claim being made without anything specific being mentioned, much less a media code.

Again, if Taft is truly interested in isolating her problem, she will provide all of the information I requested. Frankly, it's time to start following instructions properly.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=179381&postcount=3 (step 3 applies to you if you're not using Clonedvd)
Go through the steps, and provide all of the requested troubleshooting information.

Last edited:
Just buy clonedvd2 its really easy just 1 2 3 makes your life easier, also could use dvd shrink.

burn at 4x get more reliable disc. try a movie that is scratched free just clean disc.

let us know on results like that and also fellow webslinger suggestions

Will be providing details to Webslinger

Webslinger,

I plan to look into all you asked for and provide (just been so busy working full time and caregiver for my mom just fyi) and am looking into everything else suggested. Not ignoring you at all. My computer time is limited.

No, not using DVDDecrypter and AnyDVD together! DVDDecryp went crazy on me and stopped working and that is when I subscribed to AnyDVD. I really don't want to break the forum rules :) and I am sure I will have questions about ImgBurn or CloneDVD2, whichever I end up with, so will look for the forums on those. It may take me a while to absorb what I find in those programs. I will NOT give up.

Please let me know if I can continue in this thread regarding ImgBurn or CloneDVD2. I admit at this point that I'm not sure what CloneDVD2 replaces as it has been posted that steps can be skipped using this program.

taft (liz)

Forgot to address discs

A concerned member asked if I was trying to copy scratched discs. Some are somewhat scratched and some are brand new. It doesn't seem to matter...when my burning worked, they all burned fine. When it's not working, it doesn't matter whether they are scratched or brand new. I always clean the fingerprints correctly, etc. Hope it's okay to answer this in this thread. Webslinger is very strict about topics in threads.... :)

taft

Webslinger,

I plan to look into all you asked for and provide (just been so busy working full time and caregiver for my mom just fyi) and am looking into everything else suggested. Not ignoring you at all. My computer time is limited.

No, not using DVDDecrypter and AnyDVD together! DVDDecryp went crazy on me and stopped working and that is when I subscribed to AnyDVD. I really don't want to break the forum rules :) and I am sure I will have questions about ImgBurn or CloneDVD2, whichever I end up with, so will look for the forums on those. It may take me a while to absorb what I find in those programs. I will NOT give up.

Please let me know if I can continue in this thread regarding ImgBurn or CloneDVD2. I admit at this point that I'm not sure what CloneDVD2 replaces as it has been posted that steps can be skipped using this program.

taft (liz)

Here are some facts, so that it doesn't appear as though I'm pushing Clonedvd2 onto you.

Clonedvd2 is simpler to use than Shrink. Clonedvd2 contains its own burning engine. Shrink doesn't. Shrink relies on other programs to burn. You don't need to use "rip video dvd to harddisk" before using Clonedvd with discs containing structural protection. You do with Shrink. So Clonedvd provides more compatibility with Anydvd than Shrink does. Clonedvd can also retain menus over split discs. Shrink can't.

Shrink has some good editing features that are not offered in Clonedvd, and Shrink can also produce better quality output than Clonedvd when compressing video (at the cost of longer transcoding times). But again, Shrink cannot burn, and if you're going to use Shrink it makes far more sense to burn with Imgburn as joleca mentioned than Roxio, especially if Roxio isn't working for you.

For me, Shrink has become completely useless. Dvd Rebuilder is far better because it lets you use encoders. HC encoder (freeware) is packaged with DVD Rebuilder. Encoders produce better quality output than transcoders. Dvd Rebuilder is more daunting to learn, I suspect, for most users. And encoding takes longer than transcoding (so you need a half-decent computer unless you don't mind waiting for long periods of time to encode).

If making a normal single layer backup, one of the best methods (if you have a relatively decent computer) is to use Clonedvd to remove unwanted material first before ripping to your hard drive and then use DVD Rebuilder.

But for the average person, Clonedvd is good enough. You probably don't need anything else. And I suspect it's exactly what you need to make your life simple.

Last edited:
A concerned member asked if I was trying to copy scratched discs. Some are somewhat scratched and some are brand new. It doesn't seem to matter...when my burning worked, they all burned fine. When it's not working, it doesn't matter whether they are scratched or brand new. I always clean the fingerprints correctly, etc. Hope it's okay to answer this in this thread. Webslinger is very strict about topics in threads.... :)

taft

This is your thread. You can ask whatever you want in it.

My point is that this is your troubleshooting thread--and not someone else's. If a user starts posting tons of questions in someone else's troubleshooting thread, the thread becomes hijacked (and I get really confused when I try to troubleshoot multiple issues from numerous people within the same thread). It's like trying to carry on multiple conversations at the exact same time. This is your thread. This isn't anyone else's thread. So, people posting in this thread should be only interested in trying to help you--and not interested in trying to carry on a conversation with me about something else. If they want to carry on a conversation with me, they can create their own threads in the proper forum, and I will try to do my best to answer their questions.

If you want to ask questions only about Shrink and Imgburn, then I will just move your thread to the appropriate forum, and you can continue discussion there. It's not a big deal. Imgburn is a great freeware program, and Imgburn has its own forums, by the way: visit http://forum.imgburn.com/
If you have a specific question about Imgburn, you are likely better off asking there.

Again, you can ask whatever you want in your own threads (I just may end up moving them if the threads are posted in the wrong forum, but that isn't a big deal).

Also, for what it's worth, I am sorry to read about your mother, and I hope she gets better soon.

Last edited:
Thank you Webslinger

Thanks for your wishes about mom, but she is 90 and in total denial about any of her memory problems, and she's on a walker with a very bad back. We just lost my dad too.

Anyway, back to business....I downloaded ImgBurn and geez.....found it way too complicated for me without digging into the forum yet. The very next time I have another disc copy saved to my hard drive (soon) and and go thru the steps, I will try to follow your directions and get a logfile to post. This is why I never got to try CloneDVD2 because when I opened it, Wow, like ImgBurn it wasn't the easy steps I've been using. That's why I lost my trial period...never had the time, at that time, to get to forums and screen shots to try to learn the bloody thing.

The other crazy thing is, and I DO know this has nothing to do with Your forum, but may give a clue....I've downloaded clips I want to collect from YouTube and not knowing how to make one dvd of them in other burning programs, since they download to RealPlayer, I tried to burn them in RealPlayer Plus. It's supposed to burn 80 min. worth but keeps stopping at half that saying it encountered an error. So set my limit to 30 min. That dvd also played back with skips and stops. I then treated that disc as a "movie" and ran it thru AnyDVD, Shrink and burned it in Roxio to try to correct it and one copy came out perfect, 3-4 copies of the exact same disc had so many skips they got tossed. I guess I get the good copy and my friends will get the skips though I hate to share sorry-_ss copies with anyone. That's no fun to watch. And these are rare clips that must be preserved for the future. Many are gradually coming down off YouTube. Would love to get all my desired clips onto 1 disc but I think that's over my head.

So I was beginning to think maybe it's my computer, but I did upgrade a good while back to 2GB to handle the programs (RealPlayer Plus requires 1GB, AnyDVD 2GB), and do have many burned movies that play just fine. Still tossing more than keeping.

Some say I'm burning too fast a speed, some say too slow (I was burning 4x at first) then listened to my friend who uses 8x. Some say use -R some say use +R, I've tried all the combinations. I know you want "facts" to help me diagnose, and I will be providing those. Thank you so much.

Also, I don't know anything about my optical disc drive....try finding anything out on the phone with Hewlett Packard! And I paid the $100 for phone help!
Also, ashamedly admit I don't know what .iso means...I mean I used to work in TV and know what that kind of iso image means but not when burning. I always want to have all the extras though.

If I remember correctly, you are in the UK?? I've never heard of TY or some of the brands/stores you mention. The best I can do with discs without ordering and paying shipping are mostly from Taiwan -- Verbatim, Memorex and Maxell seem to be the only choices around here of name brands, but I stay away from the sales or cheapies from China. What do you think of Sony discs? Have not tried those, I believe because I was uncertain of the country of origin...maybe it was Malaysia (?)

Darn....and my car totally died....so I've had to be looking for a used car. The worst scenario. Totally don't have time for everything at once. Wish I could stick to this til I get it. Truly I get so aggravated now after the hours and hours I wasted burning trials and the number of costly discs I tossed that I want to give up on the burn.....but NO! I will conquer this. Well, signing off now before you tell me to go to Oprah with my whining.........
Thanks for the forum to vent. Will stick to topic next time.

taft

Thanks for your wishes about mom, but she is 90 and in total denial about any of her memory problems, and she's on a walker with a very bad back. We just lost my dad too.

You have my sincere condolences. Life can be truly difficult at times. I'm sorry for your loss.

This is why I never got to try CloneDVD2 because when I opened it, Wow, like ImgBurn it wasn't the easy steps I've been using.

Clonedvd is very, very simple to use. You just have to go through the steps I outlined.

Also there's a video tutorial located at http://www.slysoft.com/tutorials.html

The other crazy thing is, and I DO know this has nothing to do with Your forum, but may give a clue....I've downloaded clips I want to collect from YouTube and not knowing how to make one dvd of them in other burning programs, since they download to RealPlayer, I tried to burn them in RealPlayer Plus. It's supposed to burn 80 min. worth but keeps stopping at half that saying it encountered an error. So set my limit to 30 min. That dvd also played back with skips and stops. I then treated that disc as a "movie" and ran it thru AnyDVD, Shrink and burned it in Roxio to try to correct it and one copy came out perfect, 3-4 copies of the exact same disc had so many skips they got tossed. I guess I get the good copy and my friends will get the skips though I hate to share sorry-_ss copies with anyone. That's no fun to watch. And these are rare clips that must be preserved for the future. Many are gradually coming down off YouTube. Would love to get all my desired clips onto 1 disc but I think that's over my head.

So I was beginning to think maybe it's my computer, but I did upgrade a good while back to 2GB to handle the programs (RealPlayer Plus requires 1GB, AnyDVD 2GB), and do have many burned movies that play just fine. Still tossing more than keeping.

Due to the nature of Youtube and possibly copyrighted material, I am unable to assist you with that--other than saying Shrink does have a join feature--and Clonedvd does not. Others here may be able to assist you.
Anydvd and Clonedvd are intended for backing up original dvd-video movies that you have purchased in a store.

Some say I'm burning too fast a speed, some say too slow (I was burning 4x at first) then listened to my friend who uses 8x. Some say use -R some say use +R, I've tried all the combinations. I know you want "facts" to help me diagnose, and I will be providing those. Thank you so much.

I can help you backup commercial dvd movies that you own. I am unable to assist you with downloading and copying material on Youtube.

Also, I don't know anything about my optical disc drive....try finding anything out on the phone with Hewlett Packard! And I paid the $100 for phone help!

I will be able to find out some information for you if you provide the information I requested.

But if you don't have a 16x rated burner--don't buy 16x rated blank media.

Also, ashamedly admit I don't know what .iso means...I mean I used to work in TV and know what that kind of iso image means but not when burning. I always want to have all the extras though.

For now, there's no reason to bother with .iso files.

If I remember correctly, you are in the UK??

No. I am not located in the U.S. nor the U.K. I also do not work for Slysoft nor Elaborate Bytes.

I've never heard of TY or some of the brands/stores you mention.

If you're in the U.S. Taiyo Yuden can be found at www.supermediastore.com
(do not buy valuline, trublue, nor linkyo, since I don't know what Linkyo is)

Verbatim Datalife Plus can be found at www.newegg.com if you're in the U.S.

The best I can do with discs without ordering and paying shipping are mostly from Taiwan -- Verbatim

Verbatim's premium line is Verbatim Datalife Plus. Verbatim, generally, is decent.

avoid avoid avoid

and Maxell

Mostly avoid unless you can find some made in Japan

What do you think of Sony discs? Have not tried those, I believe because I was uncertain of the country of origin...maybe it was Malaysia

If Sony is made by Daxon in Malaysia, then you would be better off donating your money to charity, on average. Some Sonys are fine, but typically not as good as Taiyo Yuden nor Verbatim Datalife Plus.

Last edited:
Webslinger Said: "But again, Shrink cannot burn, and if you're going to use Shrink it makes far more sense to burn with Imgburn as joleca mentioned than Roxio, especially if Roxio isn't working for you."

Clearly your problem is a burn problem. AnyDVD and Shrink work and work very well - I'm a walking disciple of both. :D So long as you're using them correctly you WILL have a burnable folder (or image) on your hard drive when done. Now you just need to get it properly burnt to a blank DVD. :)

I agree with Imgburn if you're using Shrink, if you have Nero (I do) that burns well too.
A dying DVD burner will also do exactly what you have going. It will burn DVD's that don't play well at all - or that only it can read properly.

-W

Problem Resolved...I think

Webslinger Said: "But again, Shrink cannot burn, and if you're going to use Shrink it makes far more sense to burn with Imgburn as joleca mentioned than Roxio, especially if Roxio isn't working for you."

Clearly your problem is a burn problem. AnyDVD and Shrink work and work very well - I'm a walking disciple of both. :D So long as you're using them correctly you WILL have a burnable folder (or image) on your hard drive when done. Now you just need to get it properly burnt to a blank DVD. :)

I agree with Imgburn if you're using Shrink, if you have Nero (I do) that burns well too.
A dying DVD burner will also do exactly what you have going. It will burn DVD's that don't play well at all - or that only it can read properly.

-W

I'm back with news....I had a logfile all ready to post but I had downloaded ImgBurn and I've had great luck, in fact, all successes, with burning with that program. Guess my computer did not like Roxio. Even my poorly burned disc compilations I put together on RealPlayer burner off YouTube copied with no skips in them thru ImgBurn. I tried a few discs before I wrote as to not be too optimistic at first. The only problem so far has been with a disc too long to copy, about 150 min. I think, and I had compression on automatic--don't know what's up with that. I think I can buy a longer disc though. I found ImgBurn very simple and just ignore what I don't understand! Not to be advertising for them here, but seems problem solved without the frustrations and confusion I felt when I opened CloneDVD2 and took a look at it. Very happy with AnyDVD!!! Thanks to ALL!

taft

The only problem so far has been with a disc too long to copy, about 150 min. I think, and I had compression on automatic--don't know what's up with that.

You're talking about dvdshrink, right? Imgburn doesn't compress.

Anyway, as long as you're happy, that's great.

Take care

Just buy clonedvd2 its really easy just 1 2 3 makes your life easier, also could use dvd shrink.

Using DVDShrink is only advisable if you want a fast easy compression of an entire DVD-9 to a DVD-5. For the Main Movie only CloneDVD's (weak) compressor is usually good enough.

If you demand perfection use DVD Rebuilder.

-W

Back