• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved [REQUEST] Add a setting for 8x download speed.

If AnyStream was the only thing running, it wouldn't be an issue. Other devices on my network are eating up half or more of my upload and only a small portion of my download. I have used three separate modems and they all do it. It doesn't happen immediately, sometimes it works fine for days and other days it knocks it out a lot. It never happens on 4x but it does on unlimited. Therefore, something in between could be beneficial.

Whether it's 1 stream or 10, TCP should take care of it. Now that's in a perfect world where there are no other problems. But if you have tried other modems and your connection still experiences issues I think you should be calling your ISP. Because what you explain is not the fault of AS and is not at all normal. Now I will tell you cable internet , in my experience, is more problematic than the dedicated virtual circuits telcos like AT&T offer (UVERSE). But that just makes it more likely you need to call your ISP in my mind.

Just my take on it based on my experience.

I think the speed settings represents a virtual simulation of the stream's playback speed in seconds per second, where 1x or "real time" = 1 second per second, 2x = 2 seconds per second, and 4x = 4 seconds per second.
Not at all.:)

Reactions: DQ
Something between 4x and unlimited would not be useless. I am on cable internet with a download speed of 1200Mbit and an upload speed of 40Mbit. With the other traffic on my internet connection, setting the download speed to unlimited causes my internet connection's upload speed to max out. This causes my modem (Netgear CM2000, and the CM1200 before it) to lose its internet connection until the modem is power cycled.

I would suggest you check if it's overheating. I had a problem with my cable modem and router that it would drop the connection occasionally. Run fine for several weeks, then drop connection multiple times a day. Noticed that they were very hot to the touch. I set up a small desk fan that blows directly on them, and they have been running great since. Give that a try and see if it helps with your connection dropping. It shouldn't drop just because you max out on upload speed when downloading (makes no sense to me why upload would max out, but it's your equipment, and I have no reason to doubt you are saying what you observe through your monitoring tools).

Hi. I consider that a jump from 4x to "unlimited" speed is too wide. I honestly think adding a few more speeds (8x at least, and maybe followed by 10x and 12x if do you consider them useful) should be considered for the needs or thoughts of users who don't want to expose or risk by downloading in "unlimited" speed but also don't want to download at 4x slowness (20~30 min approx. for a movie download in my case, while it is like 4~5 minutes in "unlimited" speed). They / I just would like to be able download somewhat faster but not too exposed either, and I think a 8x speed would meet that requirement. But I think also adding 10x and 12x would be fine.

I'm asking for more versatility in download speed settings.

Thanks for read.

Your prayer was answered:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anystream-1-4-9-0.86039/

What I was trying to explain was, that you can't go faster than "Unlimited". Unlimited by the very express use of the word, would mean the fastest you can download it. Unlimited speed.We are not limiting your speeds at the Unlimited setting, your computer or your ISP is. The 8x, 10x, and 12x are useless because 90% of computers cannot download that fast.

I just tried 8x and the speed (8MB/s on a 1.5GB video) remained the same as with unlimited, but the download was stopping and starting instead of being continuous. I agree with you on not seeing a point to these higher but still limited speeds since anything beyond realtime is potentially flaggable. I suppose it was almost effortless to implement, though, so why not...

Being able to see the bitrate in advance is a more useful addition.

I just tried 8x and the speed (8MB/s on a 1.5GB video) remained the same as with unlimited, but the download was stopping and starting instead of being continuous. I agree with you on not seeing a point to these higher but still limited speeds since anything beyond realtime is potentially flaggable. I suppose it was almost effortless to implement, though, so why not...

Being able to see the bitrate in advance is a more useful addition.

I think you see pauses because that is the only way speed can be regulated. Bandwidth is a function of on or off so a circuit can only send at it's full bandwidth (from a physical standpoint) so to regulate that time slices are used along with other similar mechanisms to "slow" transmission. So to achieve a certain rate you only send so often over a time period to get that rate vs. just sending as fast as possible

@Ivan or anyone else, feel free to correct me.

@Killroy13, you should also try to find the perfect "MTU size" for your ISP. Having the wrong MTU results in packets drop. Google is your friend.

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) states how big a single packet can be. 1550 bytes is the default, but my ISP for example needs 1492.

Some links:
https://blog.benjojo.co.uk/post/why-is-ethernet-mtu-1500
https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...etting-on-your-router-for-better-performance/
https://homenetworkgeek.com/mtu-size/

Just a comment on this because I spend a lot of time with this topic and I find it fun to chat about.

In general, most folks do not need to worry about this because their ISP will handle this at the modem. I don't think dropped packets are the biggest issue here because of fragmentation. HOWEVER, fragmentation is resource intensive and puts a burden on whatever is frag'ing or reassembling. So personally speaking I would say, for the best efficiency and cleanest transmission to set your MTU to what your ISP is using. But overall it's probably not going break anyone's connection.

This is not to say you are totally wrong at all. I have run into a number of situations where the DF (don't fragment bit) is set in TCP because an app was written that way and that WOULD cause drops. This is because a device that needs to frag a packet sees this bit set and knows it is told NOT to frag it and then it just drops it. But in my experience this is rare.

Of course now a days you have things like path mtu discovery and as far as I know most desktop OS's perform this automatically so again, it is generally not a concern but of course there are ALWAYS exceptions.

In my summation, at the end of the day, MTU is not a huge concern for most folks. But if you are like me and deal with a lot of transmission stuff and tunnels and multiple encapsulations sometimes it will make you scream, or cry :p

Posted by Ivan
MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) states how big a single packet can be. 1550 bytes is the default, but my ISP for example needs 1492.
I was always taught when you find your ideal amount to add 28. I wonder if that still holds true.

I guess that is how Stream-viewing works:
There is a buffer that needs to be filled in order to prevent stuttery viewing.
So even when on 1x Speed, this buffer needs to be filled first, using the highest possible speed.
Then the downloading stops, because there is something to "view" and the buffer empties to a certain threshold, where the downloading begins again. This is repeated until the file is complete.

My guess is, AnyStream adapts this behavior and if the download speed is set higher than realtime, the buffer-draining is just increased.

Thank you everyone for the help and to the team for adding the additional speeds. I am trying out 6x for now while I see if I can fix whatever the issue actually is. I have determined my maximum MTU size is 1472, now I just need to find it in UniFi.

Back