• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved [REQUEST] Add a setting for 8x download speed.

pitoloko

Hi. I consider that a jump from 4x to "unlimited" speed is too wide. I honestly think adding a few more speeds (8x at least, and maybe followed by 10x and 12x if do you consider them useful) should be considered for the needs or thoughts of users who don't want to expose or risk by downloading in "unlimited" speed but also don't want to download at 4x slowness (20~30 min approx. for a movie download in my case, while it is like 4~5 minutes in "unlimited" speed). They / I just would like to be able download somewhat faster but not too exposed either, and I think a 8x speed would meet that requirement. But I think also adding 10x and 12x would be fine.

I'm asking for more versatility in download speed settings.

Thanks for read.

Hi. I consider that a jump from 4x to "unlimited" speed is too wide. I honestly think adding a few more speeds (8x at least, and maybe followed by 10x and 12x if do you consider them useful) should be considered for the needs or thoughts of users who don't want to expose or risk by downloading in "unlimited" speed but also don't want to download at 4x slowness (20~30 min approx. for a movie download in my case, while it is like 4~5 minutes in "unlimited" speed). They / I just would like to be able download somewhat faster but not too exposed either, and I think a 8x speed would meet that requirement. But I think also adding 10x and 12x would be fine.

Thanks for read.
What I was trying to explain was, that you can't go faster than "Unlimited". Unlimited by the very express use of the word, would mean the fastest you can download it. Unlimited speed.We are not limiting your speeds at the Unlimited setting, your computer or your ISP is. The 8x, 10x, and 12x are useless because 90% of computers cannot download that fast. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any. It's possible to transfer files within your computer at those speeds but downloading through the internet is a whole different thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for answer. I don't speak English natively so I probably didn't expressed myself well. I will try again:

First I want to make it clear that I fully understand the meaning of "unlimited" speed, it simply means downloading without a speed limit (up to the speed limit you have contracted with the ISP, obviously).

What I'm trying to say is that the 1x, 2x and 4x speeds are reduced, limited speeds, that's clear, ok, then, in my opinion there is too big a difference when going from the limited speed of 4x to "unlimited" speed, because as I already said with 4x speed it takes me 25~30 minutes to download a movie, and at normal/unlimited speed it takes me about 4 minutes.

That's why I've considered making this request to consider introducing 8x speed.

Because I want to think that if with a limited speed of 4x it takes me about 30 minutes to download a movie, then with a limited speed of 8x it should take me the half, about 15 minutes (which will still be approx. three times the time that I need with "unlimited" speed to download a movie). As I said, adding a 8x speed option to let us download somewhat faster than 4x, but not as faster as if we disable the limited speed to set "unlimited" speed.

...users who don't want to expose or risk by downloading in "unlimited" speed but also don't want to download at 4x slowness (20~30 min approx. for a movie download in my case, while it is like 4~5 minutes in "unlimited" speed). They / I just would like to be able download somewhat faster but not too exposed either, and I think a 8x speed would meet that requirement. But I think also adding 10x and 12x would be fine.

Thanks for read.

If you feel unlimited download speed is too much of an exposure, what makes you think that 8x, or even 4x, isn't? If they are really monitoring how fast you "watch" movie, you don't think that 4x would be something that would raise suspicion?

What I'm trying to say is that the 1x, 2x and 4x speeds are reduced, limited speeds, that's clear, ok, then, in my opinion there is too big a difference when going from the limited speed of 4x to "unlimited" speed,
4X to Unlimited is not that big of a jump. Anything in between is useless.

Thanks for answer. I don't speak English natively so I probably didn't expressed myself well. I will try again:

First I want to make it clear that I fully understand the meaning of "unlimited" speed, it simply means downloading without a speed limit (up to the speed limit you have contracted with the ISP, obviously).

What I'm trying to say is that the 1x, 2x and 4x speeds are reduced, limited speeds, that's clear, ok, then, in my opinion there is too big a difference when going from the limited speed of 4x to "unlimited" speed, because as I already said with 4x speed it takes me 25~30 minutes to download a movie, and at normal/unlimited speed it takes me about 4 minutes.

That's why I've considered making this request to consider introducing 8x speed.

Because I want to think that if with a limited speed of 4x it takes me about 30 minutes to download a movie, then with a limited speed of 8x it should take me the half, about 15 minutes (which will still be approx. three times the time that I need with "unlimited" speed to download a movie). As I said, adding a 8x speed option to let us download somewhat faster than 4x, but not as faster as if we disable the limited speed to set "unlimited" speed.

I'm not a developer and can't speak for them. But I see the different speed limits as being throttles to not take as much bandwidth of your connection. If you are downloading at unlimited speed, other things you do on the Internet may become much slower because you are using as much bandwidth as you can. If you lower it to 4x, you free up some of that bandwidth, and if still too much, you can lower it to 2x or 1x.

I'm not a developer and can't speak for them. But I see the different speed limits as being throttles to not take as much bandwidth of your connection. If you are downloading at unlimited speed, other things you do on the Internet may become much slower because you are using as much bandwidth as you can. If you lower it to 4x, you free up some of that bandwidth, and if still too much, you can lower it to 2x or 1x.
The avg movie is about 3Gbs at 1080p. If you are downloading at an avg of 25MBs a sec that's 1500Mbs a minute or 1.5Gbs a minute, so you should be able to download 3GBs in 2 minutes. 8X or 10X would be faster than that and I do not think is possible.

I think the speed settings represents a virtual simulation of the stream's playback speed in seconds per second, where 1x or "real time" = 1 second per second, 2x = 2 seconds per second, and 4x = 4 seconds per second.

And Unlimited = stream as much seconds per second that your connection speed can handle. And here is where I see a big speed jump from 4x to unlimited and why I would like to have a 8x speed.

I think the speed limit settings refers to that, because these settings could but are not expressed as bandwidth limit percentages like 10%, 20% and 40%, neither as a Kb/s or Mb/s rate limit where the end-user could arbitrary write a number to limit the bandwidth, for example.

I'm wrong with this thinking?.

Last edited:
I think the speed settings represents a virtual simulation of the stream's playback speed in seconds per second, where 1x or "real time" = 1 second each second, 2x = 2 seconds each second, and 4x = 4 seconds each second.

And Unlimited = stream as much seconds per second that your connection speed can handle. And here is where I see a big jump from 4x to unlimited and why I would like a 8x speed.

I'm wrong with this thinking?.

I think the speed limit reffers to that, because these settings are not expressed as bandwith limit percentages of 10%, 20% and 40%, neither as a Kb/s or Mb/s rate limit, for example.

I asked this earlier: If you are afraid unlimited will expose you too much and might get you kicked off the provider's service, why do you think 8x would not? If they are really monitoring for people downloading at faster speeds than they could watch it at, don't you think 8x (or even 4x) would raise suspicion?

@MuttJunior sorry the website server goes really slow and not responding well on my side, giving me errors to use the quote buttons and like buttons and all. My answer to what you've asked to me:

"If they are really monitoring for people downloading at faster speeds than they could watch it at, don't you think 8x (or even 4x) would raise suspicion?"

Yes, if and only if they are really monitoring. But the thing is that 8x would be always slower than downloading at normal/unlimited speed. Then having said that, it's a speed that would expose us less. And 4x would expose less than that, and 2x less, and 1x as the minimum exposure.

Adding 8x it would just be a higher layer of exposure than 4x but much more lower level of exposure than normal/unlimited speed. That's why I requested it.

Because 4x is the default selected limit, and in case of a new 8x limit it would be optional for the user, like Unlimited it is. Shouldn't be a problem I think.

I asked this earlier: If you are afraid unlimited will expose you too much and might get you kicked off the provider's service, why do you think 8x would not? If they are really monitoring for people downloading at faster speeds than they could watch it at, don't you think 8x (or even 4x) would raise suspicion?
All they can see is that you watched it for a few minutes and turned it off. Nothing wrong with turning off a show ;)

But the thing is that 8x would be always slower than downloading at normal/unlimited speed.
No it would not. It would be faster than any connection now allows. It's a useless speed.

"

No it would not. It would be faster than any connection now allows. It's a useless speed.
"

It may be obvious to you, but I don't quite understand it.

There should be a speed limit between the jump from 4x <> Unlimited to download faster / THE DOUBLE SPEED than 4x but not as much fast as with no speed limits/unlimited. I called it "8x" because my conjectures about this speed settings representation (probably I'm wrong as per your commentary), but if it is 5x or 6x or 7x or whatever.

Do the math. :) Ask yourself, exactly what are you 10X? You will have an answer and see that it's useless.

Something between 4x and unlimited would not be useless. I am on cable internet with a download speed of 1200Mbit and an upload speed of 40Mbit. With the other traffic on my internet connection, setting the download speed to unlimited causes my internet connection's upload speed to max out. This causes my modem (Netgear CM2000, and the CM1200 before it) to lose its internet connection until the modem is power cycled.

A different speed would not fix your internet connection. ;) Set it to 4X. At those ISP speeds, nothing will really help. I would use 2X if that were the case.

Something between 4x and unlimited would not be useless. I am on cable internet with a download speed of 1200Mbit and an upload speed of 40Mbit. With the other traffic on my internet connection, setting the download speed to unlimited causes my internet connection's upload speed to max out. This causes my modem (Netgear CM2000, and the CM1200 before it) to lose its internet connection until the modem is power cycled.

If maxing out your internet line bandwidth causes your modem troubles then either your modem or your ISP have issues.

I mean, I'm only at 100/40 mbit/s , but I can download 100mbit/s over a long period of time and still have a stable line. Surely other users/applications will have performance degradation, but that is resolved, when the (unlimited) download ends.

If maxing out your internet line bandwidth causes your modem troubles then either your modem or your ISP have issues.

I mean, I'm only at 100/40 mbit/s , but I can download 100mbit/s over a long period of time and still have a stable line. Surely other users/applications will have performance degradation, but that is resolved, when the (unlimited) download ends.
Thank you. ;)

In general terms, TCP (which is in use here) and its congestion avoidance algorithms should keep things on an even keel at max bandwidth. So the whole thing with your modem flipping out is going to be a modem (or ISP) issue because under normal circumstances it should not be doing that even under max bandwidth.

In general terms, TCP (which is in use here) and its congestion avoidance algorithms should keep thingsa on an even keel at max bandwidth. So the whole thing with your modem flipping out is going to be a modem (or ISP) issue because under normal circumstances it should not be doing that even under max bandwidth.

If AnyStream was the only thing running, it wouldn't be an issue. Other devices on my network are eating up half or more of my upload and only a small portion of my download. I have used three separate modems and they all do it. It doesn't happen immediately, sometimes it works fine for days and other days it knocks it out a lot. It never happens on 4x but it does on unlimited. Therefore, something in between could be beneficial.

Back