• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[REQ 1.2.6.0 Subtitles] Almost there!..

0x0x0x0x0

Great job of not pre-processing subtitles when the output container matches the input container, but given that different providers have different containers it still is a PITA to preserve the original subs across the providers, can we just have a "pass through" option in the drop-down box for AS to just save the subs as it gets them regardless of the provider's container?

I don't use anything else but AS, so I've never seen the original subtitles. But would they play like usual in a player like VLC or should I stay at .srt for that?

This is all what VLC supports:-

Code:
239 #define EXTENSIONS_SUBTITLE "*.cdg;*.idx;*.srt;" \
240  "*.sub;*.utf;*.ass;" \
241  "*.ssa;*.aqt;" \
242  "*.jss;*.psb;" \
243  "*.rt;*.sami;*.smi;*.txt;" \
244  "*.smil;*.stl;*.usf;" \
245  "*.dks;*.pjs;*.mpl2;*.mks;" \
246  "*.vtt;*.tt;*.ttml;*.dfxp;" \
247  "*.scc"
from
Code:
http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/vlc.git/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=include/vlc_interface.h;hb=HEAD#l239

Great job of not pre-processing subtitles when the output container matches the input container, but given that different providers have different containers it still is a PITA to preserve the original subs across the providers, can we just have a "pass through" option in the drop-down box for AS to just save the subs as it gets them regardless of the provider's container?
That sounds like a rather ugly way of handling it. There are currently 5 or 6 different formats used by the providers we currently have (we're already "force-converting" the more exotic ones).
I don't think it's a useful option for most of our users. We'll just have a lot of "subtitles sometimes don't work" popping up here because their particular player only handles half the formats or just srt.
It would have to be "pass-through except for the following formats: XYZ. For those use format F". Not appealing and complicated.

I'd rather add the missing features, so that reconverting doesn't lose information

Why would it need to be that, at some point you're going to have to trust the user that if they select "pass through" they have a vague idea of what they're doing. The problem of aiming for the lowest common denominator is you literally lose all advanced functionality. So if people want the dumbed down subtitles let them have it, but don't neuter it for people who'd prefer a better option :cautious:

Back