• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Remux VC-1 BluRay/HDDVD Movie to play on PS3

Thank you , ylagace... I always figured because it didn't work via HTTP that it was a hard limit... looks like I'll have to give TVersity another try :)

P.S. I can't download the Windows Media Encoder right now... seems like the Microsoft page is acting up.

Last edited:
tyee, I don't think the PS3 uses a PC read/writeable format.. I don't know for sure, just the backups look... odd, no compression or format that I know of. If you have the necessary equipment (I don't have SATA on my PC) I'd love to hear the results.

Everyone here does know that you CAN play a VC1/AC3/DTS m2ts file from a PS3 with no re-encoding of the video!! Here's a summary just from memory, hope it's correct

1) With AnyDVD HD running, load desired playlist into tsMuxer (use eac3to or BDInfo to get desired playlist.)

2) Select desired video and audio streams to keep in tsMuxer. Select Blu-ray output and split into 3990MB chunks in the splitting tab. Go.

3) You will end up with multiple .m2ts files in your output Blu-ray folder structure. Now the secret to fool the PS3 into thinking an external USB Hard Drive is a real disc.

4) This method is for using an external USB HDD. Create a folder in the root of this HDD call "AVCHD". Now copy your Blu-ray folder structure, that tsMuxer made, into this "AVCHD" folder.

5) At this point it will still not playback. To make it do so, rename all the files in the Blu-ray folder stucture to a 3 letter extension, not 4 as they are now. I have a utility from doom9 called "AVCHD Me" which does this for us in 1 second.

6) Now navigate to the AVCHD folder using the PS3, select that folder and your VC1 or x264 (AVC) movie will start! Enjoy.

Note - I think your movie disc must have either an ac3 or dts track in it or this method may not work unless you create one of those yourself. I'm not sure if any uncompressed tracks will work with this method but ac3 and dts (core) will definitely. Also there is some bug I think in tsMuxer because after every 4GB the next 4GB will start playing automatically but we lose about 2-3 secs of the start. Oh well, better than navigating to each 4GB section manually and pressing play!

Last edited:
The question for me (I have asked it before but had gotten no reply and therefore assumed a negative) is can you can copy the track from the AVCHD back to the Playstation HD? You obviously can't stream them, but if they could just be saved that would be good enough for me in many cases.

So zodiachsx, I know this thread is approaching a year old and hasn't had any activity since August 2008... but have you had any luck getting your HDDVD ripped VC1's to stream to your PS3 (well, by a simpler means than your original post)?

I am trying to accomplish this as well, but using Tversity. Not having any luck yet...

Cheers!

Hi,

well, streaming VC-1 to the PS3 works ... well, sort of ... but it's a pain in the a.. as you it ONLY (!!!) works by muxing the VC-1 stream into a WMV-container and converting the soundtrack to a 2-channel WMA, i.e. you will definitely loose multi-channel. I.e. only a WMV9 2-channel WMA-audio stream works, a multi-channel WMA10/WMApro will show the dreaded "no audio" message on the PS3.

I tried a million of things, mostly all available tools break at some point with obscure error message.
Here's the only way I could make it work:

1.) extract the VC-1 and soundtrack from whatever container they are in (probably M2TS or EVO).
2.) you might omit this point if your VC-1 elemtary stream is already in progressive mode with framerate at 23.976, otherwise use vc1conv
3.) use eac3to to mux the VC-1 elementary stream into a MKV-container.
4.) use Solveig ASF-muxer to remux the MKV-file to an ASF-file
5.a) use ffmpeg to recode your audio-stream to WMA 9, e.g.:
ffmpeg -i track_2.ac3 -ab 192k -ac 2 -acodec wmav2 track_2.wma
5.b) alternatively you can also use Mindws Media Encoder to recode your audio stream to WMA.
6.) use Windows Media Stream Editor (not Windows Media Encoder!) to mux video (ASF-file) and audio stream (WMA-file) to WMV-container.
The resulting WMV-file should stream flawlessly to your PS3.

Cheers!

First post here, so please excuse me if I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm wondering how other people are dealing with VC-1 encoded movies (which means pretty much every HDDVD and some BluRay titles) that they want to play on the PS3. The method I'm using is a bit well, idiotic really, because I'm remuxing 6 times total and it only allows for one stereo audio stream, but it works. If anybody has any idea how to do this in fewer steps or allow for multiple audio streams than I'd highly appreciate a post. Especially steps #7 and #8 should be doable in one pass, they're just two steps because VirtualDubMod doesn't allow for segments >2GB, but we want 3.9GB segments, so we do 1.95GB segments and stich two toegether afterwards.

1. Rip the movie from the disk using AnyDVDs internal Ripper or install an UDF reader (Toshiba in my case) to access the files directly.
2. Open the main EVO file in EVODemux and Demux all streams.
3. Use VC1conv to change the picture format from 30fps+pulldown to 24fps. (commandline "vc1conv input.mpa output.vc1")
4. Use VC-1ES to AVI to repackage the video stream.
5. Use EAC3to to convert the audio streams to AC3 (commandline "eac3to input.mpa output.ac3 -448")
6. Use FFMPEG to convert the AC3 to a WMA encoded WAV (commandline "ffmpeg -i audio.ac3 -ab 192k -ac 2 -acodec wmav2 output.wav")
7. Open the first .00.avi part in VirtualDubMod, ignoring the warning. Skip to the end, then append the second segment by appending the .01.avi segment with detect additional segments enabled. Go to Audio/Streams and add the WAV file. Then save with segmenting at 1.95 GB.
8. Open every second (#0. #2, #4) segment in virtualdub, append the corresponding next segment (#1, #3, #5) with additional detection disabled and save again to get 3.9GB blocks
9. Open GraphEdit and add a filter DirectShow/File Source (ASync) and load the first 3.9GB segment. Add the SolveigMM ASF Muxer and connect them. Add an additional connection from the automatically inserted AVI demuxer's audio channel to the ASF Muxer audio input node, Hit play and after conversion has finished repeat for each 3.9GB segment.

Please, it is a long time ago, I know, but is the nowadays (sep 2011) codec vc1conv in a correct working or is it disabled? If it is oke, than I make a mistake in the DOS-syntaxis. Please, reply to e.r.ksztrom@freeler.nl

Back