• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Remux VC-1 BluRay/HDDVD Movie to play on PS3

zodiachsx

First post here, so please excuse me if I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm wondering how other people are dealing with VC-1 encoded movies (which means pretty much every HDDVD and some BluRay titles) that they want to play on the PS3. The method I'm using is a bit well, idiotic really, because I'm remuxing 6 times total and it only allows for one stereo audio stream, but it works. If anybody has any idea how to do this in fewer steps or allow for multiple audio streams than I'd highly appreciate a post. Especially steps #7 and #8 should be doable in one pass, they're just two steps because VirtualDubMod doesn't allow for segments >2GB, but we want 3.9GB segments, so we do 1.95GB segments and stich two toegether afterwards.

1. Rip the movie from the disk using AnyDVDs internal Ripper or install an UDF reader (Toshiba in my case) to access the files directly.
2. Open the main EVO file in EVODemux and Demux all streams.
3. Use VC1conv to change the picture format from 30fps+pulldown to 24fps. (commandline "vc1conv input.mpa output.vc1")
4. Use VC-1ES to AVI to repackage the video stream.
5. Use EAC3to to convert the audio streams to AC3 (commandline "eac3to input.mpa output.ac3 -448")
6. Use FFMPEG to convert the AC3 to a WMA encoded WAV (commandline "ffmpeg -i audio.ac3 -ab 192k -ac 2 -acodec wmav2 output.wav")
7. Open the first .00.avi part in VirtualDubMod, ignoring the warning. Skip to the end, then append the second segment by appending the .01.avi segment with detect additional segments enabled. Go to Audio/Streams and add the WAV file. Then save with segmenting at 1.95 GB.
8. Open every second (#0. #2, #4) segment in virtualdub, append the corresponding next segment (#1, #3, #5) with additional detection disabled and save again to get 3.9GB blocks
9. Open GraphEdit and add a filter DirectShow/File Source (ASync) and load the first 3.9GB segment. Add the SolveigMM ASF Muxer and connect them. Add an additional connection from the automatically inserted AVI demuxer's audio channel to the ASF Muxer audio input node, Hit play and after conversion has finished repeat for each 3.9GB segment.

Attachments

• vc12ps3.jpg
    vc12ps3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 101
First post here, so please excuse me if I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm wondering how other people are dealing with VC-1 encoded movies (which means pretty much every HDDVD and some BluRay titles) that they want to play on the PS3. The method I'm using is a bit well, idiotic really, because I'm remuxing 6 times total and it only allows for one stereo audio stream, but it works. If anybody has any idea how to do this in fewer steps or allow for multiple audio streams than I'd highly appreciate a post. Especially steps #7 and #8 should be doable in one pass, they're just two steps because VirtualDubMod doesn't allow for segments >2GB, but we want 3.9GB segments, so we do 1.95GB segments and stich two toegether afterwards.

1. Rip the movie from the disk using AnyDVDs internal Ripper or install an UDF reader (Toshiba in my case) to access the files directly.
2. Open the main EVO file in EVODemux and Demux all streams.
3. Use VC1conv to change the picture format from 30fps+pulldown to 24fps. (commandline "vc1conv input.mpa output.vc1")
4. Use VC-1ES to AVI to repackage the video stream.
5. Use EAC3to to convert the audio streams to AC3 (commandline "eac3to input.mpa output.ac3 -448")
6. Use FFMPEG to convert the AC3 to a WMA encoded WAV (commandline "ffmpeg -i audio.ac3 -ab 192k -ac 2 -acodec wmav2 output.wav")
7. Open the first .00.avi part in VirtualDubMod, ignoring the warning. Skip to the end, then append the second segment by appending the .01.avi segment with detect additional segments enabled. Go to Audio/Streams and add the WAV file. Then save with segmenting at 1.95 GB.
8. Open every second (#0. #2, #4) segment in virtualdub, append the corresponding next segment (#1, #3, #5) with additional detection disabled and save again to get 3.9GB blocks
9. Open GraphEdit and add a filter DirectShow/File Source (ASync) and load the first 3.9GB segment. Add the SolveigMM ASF Muxer and connect them. Add an additional connection from the automatically inserted AVI demuxer's audio channel to the ASF Muxer audio input node, Hit play and after conversion has finished repeat for each 3.9GB segment.

This seems to be a simpler & higher quality method.
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=13688

I don't do the DVD5 splitting, but I use this method to generally convert HD-DVD to BD.

PS: If you don't have access to the sonic or nero decoders, the default libav decoder seeems to work fine for everything I've thrown at it..

Last edited:
That probably works for people with a BluRay writer (or not minding swapping disks three times during a movie), but I don't have one of those yet, so I'm playing from the internal HDD (after downloading from my PC using Apache/httpd). Sadly, the PS3 doesn't allow everything you can do with disc formats for regular files, and that includes VC-1 tracks in M2TS containers.

That probably works for people with a BluRay writer (or not minding swapping disks three times during a movie), but I don't have one of those yet, so I'm playing from the internal HDD (after downloading from my PC using Apache/httpd). Sadly, the PS3 doesn't allow everything you can do with disc formats for regular files, and that includes VC-1 tracks in M2TS containers.

Although I do have a BD writer, I use that method for streaming original HD-DVDs to my PS3. It works! Try it.

If you need to convert VC-1 files to AVC or MPEG2 there are ways.

Ripbot264 will convert a VC-1 file to AVC, albeit at a significantly lower bitrate, but at 1080 resolution. I notice it on my 61" Samsung.

Nero8 will also convert a VC-1 file to AVC or MPEG2. Depending on the speed of your computer, you may choose to convert to MPEG2 which Nero8 can convert in about half the time it takes to convert to AVC. In most cases, it's a matter of speed of conversion vs files size. Usually, MPEG2 conversion is about 1/3 bigger than the same file converted to AVC by Nero8.

In any case, when converting a VC-1 file to any other format, pack a lunch, it's gonna take some time.

On a P4 (single core) running @ 4.0Ghz w/2Gig of memory running XP Pro and VC-1 filesize of 22Gb, Nero8 will take about 24+ hours to convert to AVC. About 12hours to convert to MPEG2.

On a C2D running @ 4.0Ghz w/8Gig of memory running XP x64, same file will take about 6 hours to convert to AVC and 3 hours to convert to MPEG2.

There are caveats using Nero8 to convert files. One is that the method is not intuitive. Nero8 can do the job, but it has to fooled into doing it. Second, the output will always be interlaced. You make of that what you will, my TV deinterlaces properly so I don't care. Lastly, framerate will always be 30fps no matter the input. That may be an issue to some folks, not to me. In either case, whether you convert to AVC or MPEG2, the output will be 1080 and the bitrate will equal the original VC-1. Lastly, the audio output of Nero8 will be the various Low Res DD versions up to 5.1, 640kbs and originally encoded LPCM.

That's why I wanted to just Remux the VC-1 files, even if it means using only a single audio track. Reencoding just takes too long and because my computer is my primary workplace, it would mean not working for two days. Remuxing on the other hand is done in about an hour :)

Anyway, the point wasn't discussing Reencoding vs. Remuxing. There are plenty of good tools and guyides for reencoding, I just wanted to discuss the best way to remux VC-1 for direct access by the PS3 (streaming or HDD).

That's why I wanted to just Remux the VC-1 files, even if it means using only a single audio track. Reencoding just takes too long and because my computer is my primary workplace, it would mean not working for two days. Remuxing on the other hand is done in about an hour :)

Anyway, the point wasn't discussing Reencoding vs. Remuxing. There are plenty of good tools and guyides for reencoding, I just wanted to discuss the best way to remux VC-1 for direct access by the PS3 (streaming or HDD).

I guess you miss the point. That can't be done. VC-1 can play on a BD but can't be streamed to the PS3 in any way shape or form.

Zodiac:

I know you are not wanting to do any re-rendering, but I was wondering if you have made any AVCHD BD compatable discs to play on the PS3?

Since VC-1 is very close to the H264 AVC codec in a different container (not MPG2), I wonder if the latest version of Videolan will change the VC-1 container to a H264 container?

I haven't tried that because I have Vegas Pro 8b which smart renders VC-1 to AVCHD. It's pretty fast on my computer because I guess it's mostly a container change.

Then use Ulead MF6+ to create a DVD-9 BD compliant disc (size and bit rates are sometimes a factor).

Zodiac:

I know you are not wanting to do any re-rendering, but I was wondering if you have made any AVCHD BD compatable discs to play on the PS3?

Since VC-1 is very close to the H264 AVC codec in a different container (not MPG2), I wonder if the latest version of Videolan will change the VC-1 container to a H264 container?

I haven't tried that because I have Vegas Pro 8b which smart renders VC-1 to AVCHD. It's pretty fast on my computer because I guess it's mostly a container change.

Then use Ulead MF6+ to create a DVD-9 BD compliant disc (size and bit rates are sometimes a factor).
You can't just change the container for VC-1 to h264 you would need to re-encode. Technically AVCHD folders can be Mpeg 2, VC-1 or H264, so Vegas may well be just making a standard AVCHD VC-1 folder

Last edited:
I guess you miss the point. That can't be done. VC-1 can play on a BD but can't be streamed to the PS3 in any way shape or form.

??? Then what am I doing? I'm streaming VC-1 inside a WMV container from my PC via apache just fine.

Zodiac:

Actually, WMV is the container, VC-1 is the codec. There's no way to transcode it into h264 without totally reencoding it. While VC-1 is more "primitive" than h264 it's not like VC-1 is a subset of h264, just a totally different and more simplistic encoding scheme. While technically most containers can contain pretty much any codec, it has to be supported by the player and the PS3 needs VC-1 in a WMV container, while h264 can be in a MP4/Quicktime or MPEG2 PS/TS container. Only while playing a BD/AVCHD disc, will the PS3 allow for VC-1 in MPEG2 Transport Streams.

I haven't ever tried AVCHD discs because frankly it's just too much hassle and I thought (please correct me if I'm wrong because that would change EVERYTHING) that you cannot copy the AVCHD disc content to the PS3 anyway, which is the whole point for me as I do not want to constantly swap discs around. BTW, the remuxing required for AVCHD can be done entirely in TSMuxer, there's no need for Vegas.

and what is the source of these VC-1's? The PS3 will play standard WMV, but not Blu-ray VC-1 files. they are not the same thing. You'd need to run them through a converter to make them compliant

Last edited:
They are a mixture of HDDVD and BluRay VC-1 files. VC-1 is nothing more than a rebranded Windows Media Video codec (version 9 I think). Put it in a WMV container and VC-1 instantly becomes a valid Windows Media Video stream. No need to convert anything. (I did say that my method worked just not in the most efficient way, so why is everybody saying that it doesn't)

So far I've tried it (and succeeded) on
Shrek the Third (HDDVD)
Turtles (HDDVD)
Corpse Bride (HDDVD)
Eyes Wide Shut (HDDVD)
Doom (HDDVD)
Crank (BluRay)

Dukes of Hazzard (HDDVD) got out of sync, but there was also a read error while it was processed through AnyDVD, so I guess that's either a bad sector or a copy protection going bonkers.

VC-1 is not just a rebranded standard WMV codec. VC-1 on Blu-ray and HD-DVD can also use different settings than those available to standard WMV. Also I think you've been lucky in that all the ones you've chosen so far have a English 5.1 audio track. If you try to play one that only has an English HD audio track and foreign language tracks then you'll just get the foreign tracks as it won't decode the HD audio in a WMV file

No, you can chose which stream you want in EvoDemux and you'll have to recompress it anyway through eac3to which supports lossless audio, the only limitation being that you can only mux one audio stream into a PS3 compatible WMV container (actually, you can mux as many as you want, but the PS3 will only play the first). I typically mux the English audio stream as WMV audio stream #1 and German as #2. Sony enhanced the PS3's demuxer a few times in the past and maybe they'll add support for multiple audio streams in WMV one day and I want to be prepared. It adds 150 meg to your video files, but who cares when you're dealing with 15 gig files.

So it's not just a case of renaming it to WMV, but running it thru some software which converts the audio and is probably re-indexing the file at the same time when it re muxes it

I'm curious... why doesn't anybody seem to read the first post, which describes in a (reasonably) detailed way what this is about? Here's a link, eventhough I'm not quite sure why I have to post it:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=121160

P.S. concerning the "re-indexing". If you mean re-deriving I, P and B frames, then no, this information is just carried over to the WMV container. While frame types are usually handled by the container, there is practically no difference between how all containers treat them, so they are typically simply copied.

P.P.S. Here's the post with the links again: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=121163

Last edited:
No re-indexing doesn't mean 're-deriving'. If you were to do that then it would have to be re-encoded to do that, But according to your first post you're actually changing the wrapper from VC-1 to WMV and converting the audio. The very first thing you do is run it through VC1conv which converts the wrapper from a VC-1 compliant to a WMV compliant stream and re-indexes the file to make it compliant. If VC-1 was truly just a re branded WMV then you'd be able to just rename it WMV and it would work, but it's not you have to run it thru all those steps to get an out put that may work on the PS3 at the end of it.
I'm not saying you're method isn't good, but what Tyrod01 said was that you can't just take the vc-1 stream from a blu-ray and stream it and they're right you can't. What you're doing is converting the video to a compliant stream and completely re-encoding the audio so it's no longer the original VC-1 file

vc1conv just changes the framerate by removing the pulldown flag and relabeling the frames... it's a conversion of sorts yes and in a very literal way it's also a re-indexing because it basically changes the frame order and composition, but it's not what is usually refered to as reindexing, i.e. re-deriving the index from the stream.

well if it's re-indexing in a literal way then it's re-indexing and it still doesn't change the fact that you can't just stream a VC-1 file direct to a PS3 which is what Tyrod01 stated, it has to go through a set of conversion processes before you can get a compliant file that will work

Back