Read Errors - What's best?

Discussion in 'CloneDVD' started by Twoboxer, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Twoboxer

Twoboxer New Member

Finally purchased Anydvd and CloneDVD/CD, and so started backing up my DVDs and getting them on my network drives so they can be played easier.

While doing this, CloneDVD refused to process a couple of my DVD's because of read errors. I DL'd Nero CD Speed, ran it, and verified that in one case there were two groups of 3 yellow dots, signifying "damaged sectors".

Fortunately, I tried another, slower DVD reader, and the DVD was processed successfully.

But it got me to thinking . . .

If I had only the one DVD device, and gotten read errors, would I have preferred to have NO backup, or a backup that was less than perfect?

Personally I'd prefer some kind of option that allows backing up such a "damaged DVD" to disk, and/or to DVD, despite the errors. Especially if the number of errors identified is small.

Is this not possible? Not desirable for some reason? What am I missing?

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

A faulty backup

If the original disc is damaged, then even if you do manage to make a backup of it by skipping over the scratches (or brute force ripping), you will end up with missing material (even if it's for half a second).

By the way, some drives do make for better readers of scratched and/or faulty discs than others.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  3. Twoboxer

Twoboxer New Member

Yes to your second point - that's exactly what happened for me . . . fortunately.

As for your first point, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'd prefer to have the option to keep that backup because the only other option I may have is no backup at all.

4. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Some people do feel the same as you do. Regardless, Clonedvd does not skip over read errors at the this time.