• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Read Errors - What's best?

Twoboxer

Finally purchased Anydvd and CloneDVD/CD, and so started backing up my DVDs and getting them on my network drives so they can be played easier.

While doing this, CloneDVD refused to process a couple of my DVD's because of read errors. I DL'd Nero CD Speed, ran it, and verified that in one case there were two groups of 3 yellow dots, signifying "damaged sectors".

Fortunately, I tried another, slower DVD reader, and the DVD was processed successfully.

But it got me to thinking . . .

If I had only the one DVD device, and gotten read errors, would I have preferred to have NO backup, or a backup that was less than perfect?

Personally I'd prefer some kind of option that allows backing up such a "damaged DVD" to disk, and/or to DVD, despite the errors. Especially if the number of errors identified is small.

Is this not possible? Not desirable for some reason? What am I missing?

What am I missing?

A faulty backup

If the original disc is damaged, then even if you do manage to make a backup of it by skipping over the scratches (or brute force ripping), you will end up with missing material (even if it's for half a second).

By the way, some drives do make for better readers of scratched and/or faulty discs than others.

Last edited:
Yes to your second point - that's exactly what happened for me . . . fortunately.

As for your first point, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'd prefer to have the option to keep that backup because the only other option I may have is no backup at all.

As for your first point, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'd prefer to have the option to keep that backup because the only other option I may have is no backup at all.

Some people do feel the same as you do. Regardless, Clonedvd does not skip over read errors at the this time.

Back