Question on x2 Processors?

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by rungel, Dec 10, 2007.

1. rungel

rungel Member

I was installing your software and got the message i should disable the two cores of my processor for best performance. Anyway i didn't want to do that but now i get PC freezing up when i insert a disk.

If i do disable the dual cores does that affect my whole pc? Or just this program?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo
    Antec 550 watt PS True Power 2
    eVGA 8800 gts 640mb
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    Creative X-fi Blaster Platinum
    OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC 4000 Dual Channel
    5002048ELGE-K
    2x 74 gig WD Raptors in RAID0
    Sata Asus DVD/RW

2. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Does that message come from Slysoft or from your PC. I know of several persons using dual core CPU's and have never heard of any software requesting that one core be disabled.
    The "freezing" sounds more like a hardware problem.

3. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

That message didn't come from Anydvd.

4. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

That message didn't come from Anydvd.

That message didn't come from CloneDVD2.

That message didn't come from CloneCD.

That message didn't come from Clone DVD Mobile.

So can you tell us what it was that you installed when you got this message?

5. Webslinger

Possibly Game Jackal

6. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Any reason, that are aware of, that Game Jackal would give that error?

7. Charlie

Well if you are running a 64 bit platform and OS it won't install. There is an ETA on a 64 bit version to be ready to beta test next month.

8. Webslinger

Yes. It has to do with emulating copy protections more easily. But the message doesn't state to disable both cores. The message asks if you want to specify use of 1 core for a more stable experience with Game Jackal (I'm paraphrasing). And it's usually best to take the recommended option. The games that Game Jackal launches will still function with both (or all) cores being used, so that option really only affects Game Jackal and nothing else.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  9. Charlie

When I try to install GJ it says it isn't supported for 64 bit processors or something in that manor.

10. Webslinger

The message is that Game Jackal won't install on 64 bit OSes. Game Jackal does work with 64 bit cpus.

11. rungel

rungel Member

I'm pretty sure it was anydvd that gave me the message while installing. And then i would put a disk in my dvd writer and the pc froze.

I'll install it again and watch what happens more closely.

12. bilbo65

bilbo65 Well-Known Member

From where did you obtain your AnyDVD software?

13. tebugg

tebugg Beta Tester

i'm on Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and anydvd works fine with 4 cores. its more than likely a hardware or bad driver u got installed. try to put in a dvd with anydvd turned off to see if it freezes u. also if u got another pc, put anydvd on that one to see if it works for u. if u can, attach the anydvd log file so the moderators can see your system and driver info. i'm willing to bet its a driver or hardware issue. maybe your dvd drive firmware needs to be updated.

14. Charlie

Good point made but I will disagree that a firmware update will make the drive not freeze upon reading though as firmware is more for media types with that drive issues that are fixed. Or I thought so anyways.

15. alan1512

alan1512 Member

Yes, i always thought firmware was more for media compatability when you are burning a dvd, I use anydvd on a dual core system, but have never seen the message the OP mentioned.

16. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Thank you..I am aware of softwares that ask if you would "prefer" to use one core but I've never heard of any that required any such action.

17. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

That is completely understandable simply because the 64 bit platform is not acceptable to the software.

18. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

The Raid 0 HDD configuration would be my first suspect for the error.

19. rungel

rungel Member

Well i don't think it was anydvd. Could have been Game Jackal. It seems i've been having problems inserting disks into my drive. Just freezes up. So it is probably a hardware issue. I overclocked it some today 225x12 maybe it's to much. Thanks for the quick responses.

I don't see anything in event manager..

20. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

If the OC was too much the CPU will shut completely down to save itself...usually requiring a reboot or even clearing the CMOS.
    I see you are using an ASUS MOBO... are you sure that OCZ RAM is approved by ASUS for that particular board. ASUS boards are becoming noticeably more particular about what RAM they will accept.
    Your problem (PC freezing when inserting a disc into an optical drive) is not uncommon when a MOBO & RAM aren't compatible.