• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems ripping "Up"

AnyDVD is known to handle "Up" just fine. Presume (unless advised otherwise) that you have a defective disk. Defective disks play just fine... they won't rip "bit for bit" is all.
Exchange it.

-W

AnyDVD is known to handle "Up" just fine. Presume (unless advised otherwise) that you have a defective disk. Defective disks play just fine... they won't rip "bit for bit" is all.
Exchange it.

-W

Well, I'm on my 3rd DVD from different stores and have tried two different computers with different DVD units and still have problems.

DVdfab handle this movie too, so maybe you have a defective disc or a dying dvd drive.
You can scan the disc with nerospeed or VSo inspector to check if is defective

I presume when discussing playback of the AnyDVD rip - you mean from the hard drive - not a burned copy - right? the way to test AnyDVD is to rip with the AnyDVD ripper and then play that riip with a software DVD player on your computer - the rip should play 100% fine.

-W

When viewing the logs, I'm not seeing any reason why there should be a problem with this disc and using AnyDVD.

Usage of Nero DiscSpeed or VSO Inspector wouldn't be very useful with this disc since it contains structural protections.

Well, 4 different Up DVDs from three different stores using two different DVD players.

I rip it to an iso and then attempt playback with vlc and in the same parts the playback just stutters or stops entirely for a few seconds. The DVDs themselves have not shown this problem at all and playback smoothly.

I have the latest versions of the firmware on the DVD players and the latest versions of AnyDVD(HD) and DVDFab.

This is the only rip I've had an issue with.

When AnyDVD is scanning the DVD on either of the drives...it takes a fairly long time for it to complete scanning.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be delighted.

Off topic...are there other players like vlc for playing back iso files that people like? I'd give alternates a try.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions and help on this matter.

I have a suggestion. Try NOT ripping to an ISO. AnyDVD has that warning about ripping SD-DVD's to an ISO for a reason - and you just found out why.

Do a regular AnyDVD rip... and then convert that rip to an ISO with other software. CloneDVD if you own it - DVDShrink if not.

-W

Last edited:
Went out returned the DVD and got another. Used the lastest version of AnyDVD on the disc and ripped it to the .iso/.vob, etc format. started it up and the occasional stuttering is still there. The first place that it occurs is after you start the movie and the lamp starts jumping across the Pixar name. It stops before it gets to the "R" for a few seconds (this is after you start the actual movie not the previews.)

The same type of problem occurs throughout the movie, but not during actual DVD playback.

So, either the three Costcos near me got a bad batch of DVDs that all have errors in the same place or something else is wrong. I have ripped a number of DVDs before and after this one without issue.

Added: I then tried using CloneDVD2 to create an .iso file from the earlier rip and while the movie played through the Pixar hop (I thought I had the problem beat) it later stopped and in another section flashed several times.

Could this possibly be a VLC 1.03 issue?

Last edited:
Went out returned the DVD and got another. Used the lastest version of AnyDVD on the disc and ripped it to the .iso/.vob, etc format. started it up and the occasional stuttering is still there. The first place that it occurs is after you start the movie and the lamp starts jumping across the Pixar name. It stops before it gets to the "R" for a few seconds (this is after you start the actual movie not the previews.)

The same type of problem occurs throughout the movie, but not during actual DVD playback.

So, either the three Costcos near me got a bad batch of DVDs that all have errors in the same place or something else is wrong. I have ripped a number of DVDs before and after this one without issue.

Added: I then tried using CloneDVD2 to create an .iso file from the earlier rip and while the movie played through the Pixar hop (I thought I had the problem beat) it later stopped and in another section flashed several times.

Could this possibly be a VLC 1.03 issue?

It could be anything in the playback. I made a backup with no issues of this movie. Usually this type of behavior is from a poorly stamped DVD. Try cleaning the disc or getting another. You never know , it might work.;)

It could be anything in the playback. I made a backup with no issues of this movie. Usually this type of behavior is from a poorly stamped DVD. Try cleaning the disc or getting another. You never know , it might work.;)

Sly, I'm on my fifth DVD. I think it's time to give up. It's not unwatchable as it is, but not great. First time in 100s of DVDs I've had a real problem.

Sly, I'm on my fifth DVD. I think it's time to give up. It's not unwatchable as it is, but not great. First time in 100s of DVDs I've had a real problem.

Sometimes the brand of DVD and the firmware in the DVDRW do not play nicely together, but as you said you have made others that work perfectly, I assume with this same media. I use Verbatim media ( Office Max) and Taiyo Yuden media ( only available online now) and I dont remember the last time I made a bad backup but like I said before, there are many reasons for this. What speed are burning the disc at?

Sometimes the brand of DVD and the firmware in the DVDRW do not play nicely together, but as you said you have made others that work perfectly, I assume with this same media. I use Verbatim media ( Office Max) and Taiyo Yuden media ( only available online now) and I dont remember the last time I made a bad backup but like I said before, there are many reasons for this. What speed are burning the disc at?

I'm not burning a disc...just playing it off my HD. I have tried ripping different discs to different harddrives on two different machines that have different DVD players...both with their latest firmware. Also tried AnyDVD, AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 and DVDFab6 and get basically the same results.

The only thing that is the same is the version of player I'm using to playback the file (VLC 1.03).

I'm not burning a disc...just playing it off my HD. I have tried ripping different discs to different harddrives on two different machines that have different DVD players...both with their latest firmware. Also tried AnyDVD, AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 and DVDFab6 and get basically the same results.

The only thing that is the same is the version of player I'm using to playback the file (VLC 1.03).
That could be your problem, maybe I will try VLC player, I use TMT for my movies.

Success!

Well, I gave it one last shot. This time I did this:

1. Cleaned the disc (it looked spotless anyway).
2. Had AnyDVD running and loaded disc.
3. When AnyDVD finished scanning I loaded CloneDVD2 and selected Copy DVD Titles.
4. I then selected only the first selection of the main movie (there were 2 angles with 3 versions each listed).
5. Let CloneDVD create the .iso

Played it with vlc and no problem.

Some of you may do that as your standard procedure...I guess I will from now on too.

VLC has problems with the authoring of several discs. Try a different player, it'll work.

Update on Up.

I could never get the retail version Up to copy with Any DVD or DVD Fab for that matter. I tried multiple copies from several different stores.

So, for S&G I rented a copy of the movie and immediately noticed that it was a different disc - different label. This one ripped without any issues. I deleted the rip because I don't need the movie any longer, but it's interesting to note that the studios are putting out different discs for different markets.

The Up that would rip was labeled as Rental Market.
The Up that would not rip properly was sold through Costco and had graphics from the movie on the label...it was also sold through BJs.

Just an FYI.

The Up that would rip was labeled as Rental Market.
The Up that would not rip properly was sold through Costco and had graphics from the movie on the label...it was also sold through BJs.
Just an FYI.

That is indeed interesting and strange.
But now we are left to wonder if everyone else that ripped UP used a rental disk - because you still stand alone as "the guy having the problems".

-W

Back