• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

problem with windows 10

Just post another logfile after your changes.

I won't have any changes until I buy a new optical drive that can run in AHCI mode. I'll let you know.

The 1:10 delay is not AnyDVD scanning?

I don't think so, because the mid-screen popup and the Notification balloon both disappear after the first 1:10 or so. The drive keeps spinning for about 30-40 seconds of the next 1:10, but since I can nudge Windows into action during that time, it seems that the drive is just taking more time than usual to spin down. If I let it spin down completely, it will spin up again as Windows recognizes the disk. I'd suspect a problem with the drive, but it doesn't do that under Win7. I can only guess that Win10 operates a little differently, even though it uses the same driver.

Chris_OC,

For what it's worth I have similar problem but in reverse. My drive won't autoplay or respond for about a minute unless I actually have AnyDVD running in the system tray. It's strange. If AnyDVD is running all is cool, autoplay functions just fine and AnyDVD scans the disc in a matter of seconds. I don't know what the behaviour was prior to installing AnyDVD as I never tested the drive before that on my new machine. Obviously it's not a problem for me as I have no issue allowing AnyDVD to autostart now as the workaround. It's as if AnyDVD being in the system tray gives Windows 10 the kick it needs to get going. But there is obviously a glitch somewhere in the matrix! Unfortunately the way you are being affected is more frustrating way around.

I am not home for several days to check but my drive is an LG one too which could be telling, although it's a Bluray re-writer drive so may not be same model number.

On my other laptop still running Windows 7 no such problems. Although the drive is DVD rewriter and not LG. Plus AnyDVD that runs on there is a very old version but it seems to point to being a Windows 10 issue. It's proving a frustrating OS with bugs/glitches and things I don't like (auto forcing updates!!!!)

Cheers,
Wayne

I won't have any changes until I buy a new optical drive that can run in AHCI mode. I'll let you know.
Are you sure it doesn't? You really should try.

Are you sure it doesn't? You really should try.

James, I've been scouring the interwebs, and it seems that a new burner is my only option for AHCI. LG has no drivers for this burner, only firmware, which I updated but didn't expect to change this (it didn't). My motherboard has just one setting for all SATA ports and it's set to AHCI* but it clearly supports IDE; if it didn't, I wouldn't expect this burner wouldn't work at all.

*In an earlier post I mentioned a BIOS setting for AHCI and legacy, but I was thinking of my wife's PC which I built just a couple of months ago, and the setting is actually called UEFI and legacy. Both mobos are Gigabyte, but mine dates to August 2012 and has no such setting that I can find, and I'm reluctant to flash the BIOS. Even Gigabyte recommends against it unless it seems necessary.

Checking in....

After a month of using AnyDVD(HD) with Windows 10, I'm still having problems. I've set Autoplay to "Do Nothing" for all disk types, and with a commercial DVD or BD it will work more often than not.

But there are still times when W10 will open the disk tray and prompt for a disk with a commercial DVD or BD. And it always do this if with a commercial or blank CD, or a blank DVD or BD.

The only way I can be certain that things will work smoothly is to leave AnyDVD disabled until I've inserted a disk, and then enable it if I need the scan. There's still about a 90 second delay after the scan before W10 recognizes the disk, but that's tolerable.

I'm on 7.6.7.0 now, with no change in any of this.

Checking in....

After a month of using AnyDVD(HD) with Windows 10, I'm still having problems. I've set Autoplay to "Do Nothing" for all disk types, and with a commercial DVD or BD it will work more often than not.

But there are still times when W10 will open the disk tray and prompt for a disk with a commercial DVD or BD. And it always do this if with a commercial or blank CD, or a blank DVD or BD.

The only way I can be certain that things will work smoothly is to leave AnyDVD disabled until I've inserted a disk, and then enable it if I need the scan. There's still about a 90 second delay after the scan before W10 recognizes the disk, but that's tolerable.

I'm on 7.6.7.0 now, with no change in any of this.

Still running the drive on the raid controller? Try IDE or AHCI mode.

Still running the drive on the raid controller? Try IDE or AHCI mode.

It's in IDE mode running off motherboard's controller, and always has been. According to everything I've found online, this drive does not work in AHCI mode. For that I would need to buy a new drive; I understand one or more Pioneer drives will do the trick, but it's an expense I don't need right now.

Assuming you are referring to the LG WH14NS40 then that does work in AHCI mode. Any optical drive that has a SATA interface will work on AHCI, and will probably work better than trying to get it to use an older generic interface.

The drivers James was referring to in an earlier post are for the hard drive controller on the motherboard. When you install a system using AHCI you have to get the driver for the motherboard controller.

What motherboard are you using?

The drivers James was referring to in an earlier post are for the hard drive controller on the motherboard. When you install a system using AHCI you have to get the driver for the motherboard controller.

The Win 10 ahci drivers should work just fine.

I've found the built in AHCI driver in Win 10 causes systems to crash and drives to run slow

I've found the built in AHCI driver in Win 10 causes systems to crash and drives to run slow
Do you mean the MSACHI driver? Thats the one I use on my 4790K system and its, did you set it before or after your Windows 10 installation in the BIOS?

I always set the BIOS to AHCI before installing Windows. I'm a system builder and have found across multiple systems using Skylake back to the first gen i7 boards that the one built into Windows 10 is pretty crappy which is why I always install the latest one from Intel for the particular board on the systems.

Assuming you are referring to the LG WH14NS40 then that does work in AHCI mode. Any optical drive that has a SATA interface will work on AHCI, and will probably work better than trying to get it to use an older generic interface.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, from 2012. Since the drivers that came with the board are a few years old, I got the latest drivers from Gigabyte when I installed 10. Still, no matter what I do, the only driver with which I can manage to run that drive is the old CD-ROM driver from Microsoft. I have not updated the motherboard's BIOS, but I'm reluctant to try that. The last time I flashed BIOS (on a different computer), the motherboard was bricked despite having no interruptions in power or internet.

The heck of it is, the same drive worked perfectly on the same PC under W7 with the same old CD-ROM driver. I just went back to 7 (I kept it on a separate SSD) and tested it with three different blu-ray disks. In each case the scan took about 20 seconds, and as soon as the scan notice went away my PC opened the "what to do" window, as it should.

This problem with AnyDVD is not the only one I'm having with 10, especially since the Major Update released last month, so I'm thinking of staying on 7 for the time being. I'd like to get the AHCI thing worked out regardless, but I don't know where else to look.

Ignore the driver for the optical drive there is no newer driver for it, you need to look at the driver for the harddrive controller.

You may need a BIOS update to make it work better under Win 10. What BIOS version are you on ?

I'm not sure what happened, but the problem seems to be solved. There were some other problems with W10 since the November upgrade, so I went back to W7 for a little while.

But I always have trouble letting go of glitches, so last night I went back to W10 for a bit, and on a whim I uninstalled AnyDVD and reinstalled it. And now it works properly. It scans the disk, and within 10-15 seconds of the scan notice going away, the disk (DVD or BD) shows up in File Explorer. I set AutoPlay to ask me what to do, and it still works properly.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled before, sometimes rebooting inbetween. It never helped before, so I don't know why it should help now, but I'll take the fix regardless.

EDIT: I just ran some tests with music CDs, and when AnyDVD is enabled W10 continues to eject the disk and prompt for a disk. That never happened with W7, but it's not a huge deal; I just have to remember to disable AnyDVD when using a CD.

EDIT: I just ran some tests with music CDs, and when AnyDVD is enabled W10 continues to eject the disk and prompt for a disk. That never happened with W7, but it's not a huge deal; I just have to remember to disable AnyDVD when using a CD.

You should review Adbears posts and make sure your bios is up to date with correct settings and you're using the best drivers for your system.

I'm reluctant to flash the BIOS unless I have a serious problem, and this doesn't qualify as "serious" to me. Besides, the latest version predates Windows 10 by at least a year (11/2013), and it's a Beta.

I have downloaded the latest drivers for my motherboard directly from the manufacturer, but they also predate Windows 10 and don't seem to make any difference.

I'm reluctant to flash the BIOS unless I have a serious problem, and this doesn't qualify as "serious" to me. Besides, the latest version predates Windows 10 by at least a year (11/2013), and it's a Beta.

I have downloaded the latest drivers for my motherboard directly from the manufacturer, but they also predate Windows 10 and don't seem to make any difference.

Are you sure the settings in the BIOS are ideal for your system? If your hardware predates Win10 then why even update? I never update a computer to later O/S's as a general rule because every time I did that it led to serious compatibility problems with both hardware and software. IMHO, one of the core motivations to encourage people to update their O/S to the latest version is to ultimately sell the new hardware to make it work correctly.

Last edited:
Are you sure the settings in the BIOS are ideal for your system? If your hardware predates Win10 then why even update? I never update a computer to later O/S's as a general rule because every time I did that it led to serious compatibility problems with both hardware and software.

Well, that's the proverbial closed barn door, but I've never had problems dating Windows on a PC. One of them is an eight-year-old Dell that's running W7 64-bit without a hitch. On my current computer with W10 I have software and hardware from several different companies, and AnyDVD is the only thing with which I've had problems.

At any rate, the problem now seems to be limited to CDs and, as I noted, that's a minor inconvenience.

You should post another AnyDVD logfile with a problem original disk in the drive. Maybe someone can help you as it sounds like an unusual problem.

Back