Problem Connecting To AnyDVD Update Server

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by MartyTwem, May 19, 2018.

  1. MartyTwem

    MartyTwem Active Member

    I'm getting the above message. Logfile is attached. Thank you.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Ch3vr0n

    Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

    Seems like there's an issue with the OPD.

    @Ivan log indicated error 413

    Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
     
  3. MartyTwem

    MartyTwem Active Member

    Any idea when this might be fixed?
     
  4. James

    James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

    Don't worry, the disc isn't supported anyway.
     
  5. MartyTwem

    MartyTwem Active Member

    Thanks.
     
  6. Balthazar2k4

    Balthazar2k4 Well-Known Member

    BTW, that log file also should contain the new AACS information. It has been confirmed as also running the revision.
     
  7. James

    James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

    I thought so. Thanks for confirming.
     
  8. Cybernut

    Cybernut Member

    I am getting the problem with a bluray (not 4K) of a different movie. Attaching log. Any help would be appreciated.
     

    Attached Files:

  9. James

    James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

    You have a very different problem and should ask in a very different thread.
    I suspect your firewall doesn't let AnyDVD connect to the OPD.
     
  10. Cybernut

    Cybernut Member

    Sorry - but I am also getting "Problem connecting to AnyDVD update server" error. I can certainly create a new thread and ask there but how is it different than the original problem of this thread? Just asking for clarification.

    And no, my firewall has not changed - I've been using Windows 7 with the Norton firewall for 6 years. Nothing on the OS or firewall changed in months and I was able to decrypt discs using AnyDVD last week without issues.

    EDIT: Hmm...I just disabled the Norton firewall and it seems to work. My apologies James for doubting your suggestion. Like in the past - you have predicted correctly what the real issue was. I somehow suspect something changed with Norton firewall, though I did not change anything - I always had made an exception to AnyDVD to make outbound calls...but looks like that rule may have changed/gotten deleted...and there might be other folks like me out there...who knows. Problem resolved - big thank you, James!

    EDIT2: I wonder if the exe changed location or name (I doubt it but a thought - since that could render my prior exception on Norton useless).
     
    Last edited: May 24, 2018