• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Powerdvd 10 v1601 patch required for Avatar!

V. 10.0.05.291.102804. It would not play with the htpc disconnected from the internet. Gave me a red screen saying my player needed a firmware upgrade. As soon as I reconnected it to the internet it played fine without updating anything.

I also updated PDVD10 to the new version even though the movie played fine with build 1516. The new one works great.
I guess it must be for player recertification - maybe they revoked the Cyberlink keys yet again, so update of player keys necessary. My PDVD 7.3 Oct09 5711 played it after connecting to internet and updating.

Edit: Just updated to Anydvd hd 6.6.3.7 - now TMT2 plays Avatar fine - February 29th has arrived early!

Last edited:
I actually bought PDVD10 yesterday. Works just fine. I had no issue playing it with 1516, but, I've updated to 1601 anyway.

I actually bought PDVD10 yesterday. Works just fine. I had no issue playing it with 1516, but, I've updated to 1601 anyway.

Did you ever have any issues getting 5.1 surround with pdvd9 or 10? Avatar will only play in stereo on pdvd9???

Did you ever have any issues getting 5.1 surround with pdvd9 or 10? Avatar will only play in stereo on pdvd9???

I bitstream HD audio over HDMI so, no, I've not had any problems.

I bitstream HD audio over HDMI so, no, I've not had any problems.

Do you have any idea why the avatar disk will only play in stereo? All my bd iso's will only play in stereo too. I'm running a spdif through my onkyo receiver.

Do you have any idea why the avatar disk will only play in stereo? All my bd iso's will only play in stereo too. I'm running a spdif through my onkyo receiver.
Did you select s/pdif output in the player audio menu?

I use 8 channel output and then it gets picked up by my Sondigo Callisto and converted to dts, but before that I had to select s/pdif in pdvd audio configuration to get it to send 6 channel audio instead of stereo over the s/pdif connection to my receiver. This had to be selected BEFORE the movie was loaded, or it would default to stereo (even over s/pdif).

Last edited:

Your problem is the spdif connection. spdif is limited, it cannot do high definition audio higher than stereo (optical can do multichannel HD audio but is limited by its interface, tptb chose to go the HDMI route instead of fixing the spdif interface).

so.. you need to use HDMI or re-encode the HD audio to DD or DTS on the fly (use reclock to do this, or a DTS Interactive type of thing that comes with onboard sound)...or use analogue output (which is what I do).

Your problem is the spdif connection. spdif is limited, it cannot do high definition audio higher than stereo (optical can do multichannel HD audio but is limited by its interface, tptb chose to go the HDMI route instead of fixing the spdif interface).

so.. you need to use HDMI or re-encode the HD audio to DD or DTS on the fly (use reclock to do this, or a DTS Interactive type of thing that comes with onboard sound)...or use analogue output (which is what I do).
S/pdif, whether optical (toslink) or coaxial (electrical rca), can handle 5.1 channels up to 1,500kbps, which is full DTS (core of dts-hd audio). DD is even lower bitrate (core 640kbps). PDVD can extract the DTS core from any DTS-HD master audio, and the Dolby Digital core from any Dolby True HD, and s/pdif can transport it without any problem (unless you have a dollar-store cable) to your DD/DTS capable receiver for decoding.
This requires pdvd with 8 channel decoder and 6 channel output (retail version or updated oem version). You must also select s/pdif as your output, and it must be set up properly in windows.

Obviously, for full HD audio you need hdmi or multichannel analog out as a starting point, but if bd's are playing in stereo the fault is probably in your pdvd or windows setup.

Last edited:
S/pdif, whether optical (toslink) or coaxial (electrical rca), can handle 5.1 channels up to 1,500kbps, which is full DTS (core of dts-hd audio). DD is even lower bitrate (core 640kbps). PDVD can extract the DTS core from any DTS-HD master audio, and the Dolby Digital core from any Dolby True HD, and s/pdif can transport it without any problem (unless you have a dollar-store cable) to your DD/DTS capable receiver for decoding.
This requires pdvd with 8 channel decoder and 6 channel output (retail version or updated oem version). You must also select s/pdif as your output, and it must be set up properly in windows.

Obviously, for full HD audio you need hdmi or multichannel analog out as a starting point, but if bd's are playing in stereo the fault is probably in your pdvd or windows setup.

But he has a point. If it's set to PCM decoding then indeed you'd only get stereo. So, checking the audio settings to make sure it's set to DD/DTS wouldn't hurt.

Back