• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Please fail and crash a bit more gently?

ArbitrarySorting

I have, and as I seem to remember others, noticed that AnyStream (AS) tends to crash, wanting to create a dump file while downloads are still ongoing.

Now, not knowing the innards and inner workings of AS I might be out on a limb here but surely there must be a way to fail more gracefully? Perhaps even not fail at all.

A little button and the related functionality, with "Finish ongoing downloads first", or even a "Crash now or crash later?" choice would also feel sort of Ok. Just not crashing while it actually seems to sort of still be working. Currently I am, well AS is, having an open "I'm going to crash" dialogue, and since then 5 or 6 queued downloads have successfully started and completed.

Pretty please?

I have, and as I seem to remember others, noticed that AnyStream (AS) tends to crash, wanting to create a dump file while downloads are still ongoing.

Now, not knowing the innards and inner workings of AS I might be out on a limb here but surely there must be a way to fail more gracefully? Perhaps even not fail at all.

A little button and the related functionality, with "Finish ongoing downloads first", or even a "Crash now or crash later?" choice would also feel sort of Ok. Just not crashing while it actually seems to sort of still be working. Currently I am, well AS is, having an open "I'm going to crash" dialogue, and since then 5 or 6 queued downloads have successfully started and completed.

Pretty please?

Does it retain the queue after crash? If it does not I wonder if that might be an easier route to be a bit more graceful and or less of a pain at point of crash.

And how is AS supposed to finish downloading a title, if it's crashing? The 2 are mutually exclusive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

And how is AS supposed to finish downloading a title, if it's crashing? The 2 are mutually exclusive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
The thing is, as it is actually working, picking items off the queue one after the other. This makes me think that the "Crash message" actually is a bit premature,
It might even be ill conceived and had the "Try" or what ever error handling that is implemented simply checked for "if ongoing dowloads in progress then wait a bit more and recheck this later"
Had it been a hard crash as in borked memory or doing out of bounds stuff it would I believe crashed right away without attempting to create a dumpfile. The displayed dialogue is I believe
some sort of attempt at crashing in a sort of controlled fashion albeit not totally gracefully. So yes "The 2 are mutually exclusive" is probaly both right and wrong at the same time.
AS tries to dump some information before it, well the programmer really, believes it is going to crash anyway and knowing a little about the current state is a lot better than, "oh there's that prompt again" or where did AS go?
So what I would like to see is hanging in there a bit longer before facing what is perhaps inevitable.

Last edited:
The thing is, as it is actually working, picking items off the queue one after the other. This makes me think that the "Crash message" actually is a bit premature,
It might even be ill conceived and had the "Try" or what ever error handling that is implemented simply checked for "if ongoing dowloads in progress then wait a bit more and recheck this later"
Had it been a hard crash as in borked memory or doing out of bounds stuff it would I believe crashed right away without attempting to create a dumpfile. The displayed dialogue is I believe
some sort of attempt at crashing in a sort of controlled fashion albeit not totally gracefully. So yes "The 2 are mutually exclusive" is probaly both right and wrong at the same time.
AS tries to dump some information before it, well the programmer really, believes it is going to crash anyway and knowing a little about the current state is a lot better than, "oh there's that prompt again" or where did AS go?
So what I would like to see is hanging in there a bit longer before facing what is perhaps inevitable.
It finally locked up and I eventually pressed the crash dialogue button. But before this lockup occured it had while displaying it [the dialogue] downloaded if I'm right an additional six items.
Attached is the created dumpfile.

Attachments

• AnyStream_1.2.7.0_Dump_20211214121644.astdmp
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
At the moment the developers are very busy trying to fix the current DRM issues, I am sure they will read your post and take into consideration an easier way to handle things. That said a new version Will be coming soon and let’s hope there will be no more crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back