• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Parallel runs at different speeds (same in the past)

world123

I have a multi-Redfox AnyDVD lifetime license running 2 (internal+external) identical LG Blu-Ray burners writing to internal (WD Black) and external (WD Green) hard drives. In the past, both jobs performed at the same rates. Now the internal job is about 8 times faster than the external job. I am running a 4-Core with Windows 7. I haven't changed the hardware. The difference might be now running the Redfox AnyDVD version and Slysoft in the past although I can't see this as the problem. Not sure if the problem is hardware and/or software related. Can anyone suggest what might be causing the difference in the run speeds?

Yes, your parallels. Anydvd isn't designed to run in virtualization software. It works just fine normally. As to the speeds there's a number of things. The disc encryption, the double read and write to hd it has to do, the virtualization,... not an anydvd problem. Your on your own in this one

Yes, your parallels. Anydvd isn't designed to run in virtualization software. It works just fine normally. As to the speeds there's a number of things. The disc encryption, the double read and write to hd it has to do, the virtualization,... not an anydvd problem. Your on your own in this one

Ch3vr0n, thanks for your prompt response. Running them parallel did work for quite some time and then the slow down. That's why I was reluctant to ask the Forum as I am not 100% sure of my changes. OK, I will proceed on my own and read any other comments. Thanks!

I don't think he's talking about Parallels, the Mac virtualization software. I think he's talking about 2 simultaneous (parallel) jobs being run at the same time. I could be wrong though, maybe the OP can clarify.

if you're running 2 rips, then everything but the "parrallels" still applies. Rip speed depends on multiple factors. The disc status, how heavy the encryption is, how fast the hdd can read the data it receives from the drive while simultaneously accessing and reading/writing from the other drive.

That said, never be reluctant to ask. If you don't ask we can't answer :)

Yea ch3v,
After Jon's reply and re-reading the OP. I also think that's what they (the OP) is/was referring to. And @hennlen if that is the case a better wording in the future would be "simultaneously" and not parallel to avoid any confusion in the future.

Yea ch3v,
After Jon's reply and re-reading the OP. I also think that's what they (the OP) is/was referring to. And @hennlen if that is the case a better wording in the future would be "simultaneously" and not parallel to avoid any confusion in the future.
Yes, I should have used "simultaneous runs". I was able to make them (on a normal basis) both on the order of 30 MB/s (maybe a little slower) and NOW they are at the max and min speeds. I still get min speeds when I ONLY use the external burner to decrypt the disk to the HDD. The internal burner always decrypts fast where there one or two simultaneous runs. I write to two HDDs when making the simultaneous runs. The internal is a Western Digital Black drive and the external is a Western Digital Green drive. Even though the Black is faster I was able to make simultaneous runs at about 30 MB/s. I forgot to state that I am "Riping Video Discs to Harddisk" option in AnyDVD. I image my "C" partition whenever I update programs, drivers, etc. I may go back and restore some images of Drive "C" to see if the problem is software related.

I've also noticed the new Red Fox versions (currently 8.0.3.0) seem to run slower on the same hardware than the Sly Soft versions. My system has a newer i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, running 64-bit Windows 10 and writing to a fast local WD HDD; optical drives are also fast so I don't believe there are any hardware constraints.

I don't have any before/after times on the same disc but anecdotally recall old version taking well under 10 minutes on average and now seems to be closer to 15 minutes average.

I've also noticed the new Red Fox versions (currently 8.0.3.0) seem to run slower on the same hardware than the Sly Soft versions. My system has a newer i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, running 64-bit Windows 10 and writing to a fast local WD HDD; optical drives are also fast so I don't believe there are any hardware constraints.

I don't have any before/after times on the same disc but anecdotally recall old version taking well under 10 minutes on average and now seems to be closer to 15 minutes average.
It's just your imagination or something on your end is slowing down. Drive wearing out maybe. But I pretty sure there's no difference really. At least not for me. And without comparison times how could you EVER know that. But only a " person in the know" can truly answer about that . But I personally don't think that there is.

It's just your imagination or something on your end is slowing down. Drive wearing out maybe. But I pretty sure there's no difference really. At least not for me. And without comparison times how could you EVER know that. But only a " person in the know" can truly answer about that . But I personally don't think that there is.
I made simultaneous runs with two AnyDVD ripper windows open showing the ripping rates. Sometime in the past, both simultaneous runs were running at the same rate on the order of 20-30MB/s. Now one run is running at 20-30 while the other is less than 1. Each run writes to a different HDD. These are relatively new LG Blu-ray burners (I have three externals and one internal). The internal in both scenarios runs at the max and the external runs at the max (in the past) and now at the min (less than 1). I have tried both external burners with the same result. I am using a USB hub which I have to investigate next or maybe the driver needs re-updated? And ALL disks are about the same time length. No, it's not my imagination, but I am going crazy! I can't say for CO_Mike.

Hennlen, have you tried rolling back to the final Slysoft version of AnyDVD HD, testing rip speeds with two of your older blu-ray discs with that version, then re-installing the latest Redfox version and doing the exact same simultaneous rips? That would be the scientific method in action. If there's no difference, then something has changed in your system that is affecting AnyDVD. If there IS a difference, then something interesting is happening and it would be worth Redfox devs thinking about it for a minute.

Cheers,

--michael

There's no reason to do that, nothing has changed code wise to the ripping code.

Hennlen, have you tried rolling back to the final Slysoft version of AnyDVD HD, testing rip speeds with two of your older blu-ray discs with that version, then re-installing the latest Redfox version and doing the exact same simultaneous rips? That would be the scientific method in action. If there's no difference, then something has changed in your system that is affecting AnyDVD. If there IS a difference, then something interesting is happening and it would be worth Redfox devs thinking about it for a minute.

Cheers,

--michael
Thanks mbarnstijn for your suggestion as I haven't tried your scenario. I have restored Images for over six months of my Drive "C" partition without success maybe further back, but not sure when the change occurred. I agree with Ch3vt0n that it IS prabably NOT a AnyDVD problem. I suspect it is a Windows and/or other software and/or hardware. I just checked the drivers which was verified implicitly by the Image restores. It is like been back in school or code debugging. I will try your scenario later. Thanks again for the suggestion.

There's no reason to do that, nothing has changed code wise to the ripping code.
You're right, but the driver had major changes (starting with the reboot beta test). And the driver is involved in everything, subtitles, decryption, ...
It *could* make a difference. I don't think it does (otherwise I wouldn't have released it), but it is possible. But a fresh driver instance is created for every drive, so they run imdependently without interference, so it should not have any impact on "parallel ripping".

You're right, but the driver had major changes (starting with the reboot beta test). And the driver is involved in everything, subtitles, decryption, ...
It *could* make a difference. I don't think it does (otherwise I wouldn't have released it), but it is possible. But a fresh driver instance is created for every drive, so they run imdependently without interference, so it should not have any impact on "parallel ripping".
Thanks James for response. Initially, I suspected it was an AnyDVD and/or Windows driver problem, but not so sure after running my Image Restores. I restored Images of Drive "C" for last 6 months without any changes. However, I didn't use AnyDVD and Blu-Rays released at those (6 months ago) times. I used current (latest) Blu-Rays and the latest AnyDVD. I may try mbarnstijn (Michael's) suggestion above. There are other AnyDVD users noting slow run problems, but running single rips.

Hey, I just realized the OP and I share partial similarity in our issues https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/slow-rips-since-updating-to-8-0-3.69999/

The slow drive is external in both our situations.
Hello, I saw your comment and noted that we both used external burners. I tried different external burners vs an internal and only an external with the same slow speed. I restored my C drive image back six months using current Blu-Ray disks and AnyDVD with slow speeds. I monitor the AnyDVD window and the rip speeds. When I have two windows open it is apparent something is wrong. I may restore a year image and see what happens. If the same result, then I am at a loss how to proceed. I have been running parallel rips for a very long time (months). How long have you been ripping parallel or single rips? It could be hardware. I thought it might be Windows and drivers updated or written over, but the restored Images seems to invalidate that theory.

Hennlen, I'm curious. After getting your C drive back to a 6-month old restored image -- what version of AnyDVD HD did you use when you did the new rip speed tests?

Hennlen, I'm curious. After getting your C drive back to a 6-month old restored image -- what version of AnyDVD HD did you use when you did the new rip speed tests?
I used the latest version (8.?) of AnyDVD since I was ripping a current release. I have to dig up an old Blu-Ray TV Series which uses an older version of AnyDVD to run parallels to check out the speeds. I am off to watch the 1st Stage of The Tour (Go Cav!). Henry

I used the latest version (8.?) of AnyDVD since I was ripping a current release. I have to dig up an old Blu-Ray TV Series which uses an older version of AnyDVD to run parallels to check out the speeds. I am off to watch the 1st Stage of The Tour (Go Cav!). Henry

I'm afraid that's not a useful test then. You need to use an older version otherwise you haven't truly changed anything.

The common variables are: external drive, and AnyDVD.

Back