• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Optimum drive for backing up a bluray question

zent

This is a question I have pursued before. What could be the best drive for dealing with slightly faulty bluray discs? Bluray discs can have faults that are almost undetectable. But under good light you can see small marks usually.
I have a Pioneer 207 and an LG BH16NS40 bluray drive. Both aren't identical when backing up a bluray disc. I have found that the LG can sometimes manage to get through a disc while the Pioneer can't, due to small scratches or marks on the disc. This isn't a rule though, sometimes, but less often, the reverse may happen.
What is confusing though, is that my Sony bluray player, the 780, usually has no trouble with playback of these same discs, when neither bluray drive can get through them. No playback faults are exhibited at all.
So I am wondering what is the best bluray drive for dealing with slightly scratched bluray disks? I chose the LG from a bit of internet research a while ago.
Why can't a drive be the same as the player drive? Sony seemed to have really improved their act. Their DVD players once were over sensitive, now the opposite is true. Could they have the best bluray drives?

Pc drives and player drives do things differently. The pc drive copies bits by bits, it finds a sector with bad bits, automatic failure, the programming can't fill in what it thinks should be there. A player drive expects that peanut butter may get on the disc surface of your daughters disc of Frozen and if small enough skips over the sectional you never see the difference. It's job is to let you watch a movie under as many conditions as it can. Both see the same faults, it's what they are trying to do with them.

Pc drives and player drives do things differently. The pc drive copies bits by bits, it finds a sector with bad bits, automatic failure, the programming can't fill in what it thinks should be there. A player drive expects that peanut butter may get on the disc surface of your daughters disc of Frozen and if small enough skips over the sectional you never see the difference. It's job is to let you watch a movie under as many conditions as it can. Both see the same faults, it's what they are trying to do with them.
That sounds right. I can imagine a copying program doing the same thing though if someone would create that. Are you sure though the drives are entirely the same though? There may be a difference in how the laser is used to read data. There really is no indication at all of a fault in the player, the same fault which completely halts a computer drive.
My older Sony DVD player would skip and halt on faults my computer drives had no trouble with. And I have seen Sony DVD players of recent times with package labeling saying it plays scratched discs. I can imagine a laser in a player that could shine brighter or something than a drive does.
My theory for the older Sony player was that, there was extra processing going on electronically that caused the laser scanning time to be minimised. For example, I had a cheap DVD player that could play discs the Sony couldn't.

Actually, that's not really how it works.
The drives are pretty much the same.
The player software (both on PCs and hw players) will usually opt to skip defective sectors and continue after those - which you'll observe as glitches in playback.

As for the drives themselves - some are simply more forgiving than others (can read borderline bad sectors, while others fail). That's not a question of hw player vs. pc drive, but only of quality.
But all will treat read errors the same: dutifully report an error to the software.
One drive will encounter a read error while another reads the data correctly.

Oh, I agree the drives are pretty much the same. But since the OP said a Sony player was better because it didn't fail the way his pc drive did and still didn't find an explanation my explanation might help. And, yes some are able to read better. I have also observed my drive slow down the data rate, stopping the rip, and a closer look at the surface of the disc found a finger print. Cleaning always cleared the problem on reripping. But find one spot that the disc doesn't read correctly and the rip fails.

Back