• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Guide Old Programs Ran Smoothly on Windows 10 but Stumbled on 11. Here's a Possible Solution!

tectpro

Translator (ms_MY)
Hello everyone,

I've noticed a rising concern among many users about older programs that were fully functional under Windows 10 but are facing compatibility issues on Windows 11.
One potential culprit behind some of these issues could be the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature.

What is Data Execution Prevention (DEP)?
DEP is a security feature introduced by Microsoft that's designed to prevent damage from viruses and other security threats. It works by restricting software (especially malicious ones) from executing code from a non-executable memory region.
While DEP is undoubtedly beneficial for system security, there are instances where it might interfere with the proper functioning of specific older software.

How to Check if DEP is Enabled:

1. Tap the Windows key or Start button.
2. Type Windows Security and select the Windows Security app at the top of the search results.
3. Select App & Browser Control and then Exploit Protection.
4. You'll find Data Execution Prevention under Exploit Protection.

How to Disable DEP for Specific Programs:
It's crucial to remember that disabling DEP can make your system more vulnerable. Always ensure you have a good reason to make this change and ensure your antivirus and other protective measures are updated.

1. Tap the Windows key or Start button.
2. Type Windows Security and select the Windows Security app at the top of the search results.
3. Select App & Browser Control and then Exploit Protection.
4. You'll find Data Execution Prevention under Exploit Protection.
5. Select Off by default.
6. Restart your system.

Identifying if DEP is Behind the Issue:
If you suspect DEP is causing the malfunctioning of your older programs on Windows 11, you can verify this by checking specific error logs in the Windows Event Viewer. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Open Event Viewer (You can search for it in the Windows Search Bar).
  2. Navigate to Windows Logs > Application.
  3. Look for error logs related to your problematic program.
For instance, you might come across an error log like this:
(This is an example only; yours might look differently).

Code:
Faulting application name: program.exe, version: xx, timestamp: 0xYYYYYYYY
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, timestamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000000
Fault offset: 0x00xxxxxxxxx
and
Code:
Error bucket -xxxxxxxx, typex
Event Name: XXX
Response: Not available
CAB ID: 0

The "Exception code: 0xc0000005" often signifies an "Access Violation", which might be caused by DEP, especially when the error relates to older software.

If you find this error associated with your program, it could strongly indicate that DEP is causing the incompatibility.
You can then follow the steps to disable DEP and remember that disabling DEP can make your system more vulnerable. Always ensure you have a good reason to make this change and ensure your antivirus and other protective measures are updated.

I hope this guide helps some of you troubleshoot compatibility issues with older software on Windows 11. Do share your experiences and any additional insights on the topic!

I sadly recognize this code with a bit of pain of five years trying to fix it, but it was not related to core isolation or DEP as I never used it.
Thanks for sharing your experience, @DeepSpace. It's interesting to hear that you had encountered the 0xc0000005 error code before, even though it wasn't related to DEP. Compatibility issues on Windows can indeed be quite frustrating to diagnose and resolve.

You where literally the first person to comment on my thread back then lol
Yeah, I'm getting older and have many other things on my mind, so I might not remember everything. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DQ
Yeah, I'm getting older and have many other things on my mind, so I might not remember everything. :ROFLMAO:
The same applies to me, I never was good at remembering things, and I am not even that old...

Edit: I didn't remember that you commented on the thread, but I was pretty sure that you did so I checked the thread and saw it.

A good way to handle the incompatibility of old programs is to install and use the Application Compatibility Toolkit from Microsoft. It's a more complete version of the fixes you see in the Compatibility tab of a program's properties dialog. It allow you to configure a set of patches, called shims for a given application. Often times just installing it is enough because there are already pre-made sets of shims for 1000s of programs. Personally, I haven't had to use it in years because newer versions of Windows do a better job at handling compatibility issues, but if you're having trouble with a given program, give it a whirl.

Code:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/compatibility-administrator-users-guide

@tectpro, I'm having issues with installing PowerDVD 10 Ultra via Cyberlink Media Center 9 Ultra, which I own and bought years ago from Amazon.

I'm attaching the error message I keep getting, even when I disabled DEP.

I turned one other setting off, but everything else is left in the original ON position.

I've only tried this on my Lenovo Win 11 Pro laptop. I haven't tried to do this on my Dell Win 11 Pro laptop.

Attachments

• Error_Cyberlink Media Suite9_10-29-2023.jpg
    Error_Cyberlink Media Suite9_10-29-2023.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2023-10-29_10-54-48.jpg
    2023-10-29_10-54-48.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2023-10-29_10-56-15.jpg
    2023-10-29_10-56-15.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2023-10-29_10-57-05.jpg
    2023-10-29_10-57-05.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 9
@tectpro, I'm having issues with installing PowerDVD 10 Ultra via Cyberlink Media Center 9 Ultra, which I own and bought years ago from Amazon.

I'm attaching the error message I keep getting, even when I disabled DEP.

I turned one other setting off, but everything else is left in the original ON position.

I've only tried this on my Lenovo Win 11 Pro laptop. I haven't tried to do this on my Dell Win 11 Pro laptop.
This could be a corrupt windows file. Try the following steps below.

1. CHKDSK (Check Disk)

Purpose:
CHKDSK is a tool designed to check the integrity of file systems and fix logical file system errors. It addresses bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors.

How to Use:
  • Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Check a specific drive (e.g., C: drive) without fixing errors: chkdsk C:
    • Check and fix errors on a specific drive: chkdsk C: /f
    • Scan for bad sectors and fix errors: chkdsk C: /r
Extended Use:
  • Check, fix errors, locate bad sectors, recover readable information, and dismount the drive: chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Note: Using /x forces the drive to dismount. Ensure all open files on the drive are saved and closed. Drive C will only scan at the next restart.

Timeframe: Depending on the size of the drive and the extent of errors, CHKDSK can take a few minutes to several hours.

2. DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management)

Purpose:
DISM services and prepares Windows images, especially useful for repairing corrupted Windows images.

How to Use:
    • Check for system corruption: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    • Scan and repair system issues: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Extended Use:
  • Scan system health: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
Note: Using DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth with a local installation media requires the /Source flag.

Timeframe: DISM commands can vary greatly, taking anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, depending on the system's condition and the specific task.

3. SFC (System File Checker)

Purpose:
SFC verifies the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions.

How to Use:
    • Scan and repair system files: sfc /scannow
Timeframe: Typically, SFC takes 5 minutes to an hour, depending on system performance and the number of files to be scanned.

Recommended Order of Execution:
  • CHKDSK: Tackle file system errors first.
  • DISM: Address underlying Windows image issues.
  • SFC: Repair or replace corrupted system files post-DISM.

This could be a corrupt windows file. Try the following steps below.

1. CHKDSK (Check Disk)

Purpose:
CHKDSK is a tool designed to check the integrity of file systems and fix logical file system errors. It addresses bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors.

How to Use:
    • Check a specific drive (e.g., C: drive) without fixing errors: chkdsk C:
    • Check and fix errors on a specific drive: chkdsk C: /f
    • Scan for bad sectors and fix errors: chkdsk C: /r
Extended Use:
  • Check, fix errors, locate bad sectors, recover readable information, and dismount the drive: chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Note: Using /x forces the drive to dismount. Ensure all open files on the drive are saved and closed. Drive C will only scan at the next restart.

Timeframe: Depending on the size of the drive and the extent of errors, CHKDSK can take a few minutes to several hours.

2. DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management)

Purpose:
DISM services and prepares Windows images, especially useful for repairing corrupted Windows images.

How to Use:
    • Check for system corruption: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    • Scan and repair system issues: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Extended Use:
  • Scan system health: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
Note: Using DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth with a local installation media requires the /Source flag.

Timeframe: DISM commands can vary greatly, taking anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, depending on the system's condition and the specific task.

3. SFC (System File Checker)

Purpose:
SFC verifies the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions.

How to Use:
    • Scan and repair system files: sfc /scannow
Timeframe: Typically, SFC takes 5 minutes to an hour, depending on system performance and the number of files to be scanned.

Recommended Order of Execution:
  • CHKDSK: Tackle file system errors first.
  • DISM: Address underlying Windows image issues.
  • SFC: Repair or replace corrupted system files post-DISM.
I've just got done with doing everything in the order that you specified, and I'm attaching pictures of my progress.

It's late, so I'll wait upon your response in the morning.

Attachments

• 2023-10-29_23-38-58.jpg
    2023-10-29_23-38-58.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2023-10-29_23-52-09.jpg
    2023-10-29_23-52-09.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2023-10-29_23-55-11.jpg
    2023-10-29_23-55-11.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 4
From your last screenshot

1698644229335.png
The screenshot indicates that the Windows Resource Protection (WRP) tool has scanned your system and found corrupted files. Fortunately, it was able to repair them successfully.

For further details on the online repairs, you can refer to the CBS log file, which is located at the path provided in the screenshot (e.g., C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log). If you conducted offline repairs, details would be in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

In simpler terms, Windows found and fixed some system file issues on your computer.
The repair process might have resolved the problem(s) you were experiencing before running this tool.

For further details on the online repairs, you can refer to the CBS log file, which is located at the path provided in the screenshot (e.g., C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log). If you conducted offline repairs, details would be in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
Yes, the Component-Based Servicing log (CBS) is a file that contains information about the system files that Windows 11/10 operating system uses. It's a log file that can be used to diagnose problems related to Windows system files

Yes, the Component-Based Servicing log (CBS) is a file that contains information about the system files that Windows 11/10 operating system uses. It's a log file that can be used to diagnose problems related to Windows system files

Thank you for highlighting :)

I'm back online.

Would you want me to PM you the CBS file so that you can take a look at my system?
While I can try to analyze and provide insights on text-based data, CBS logs often contain verbose system-level details that may require deeper investigation and experience to understand fully. If you upload a segment of the CBS log, I can try to help interpret any specific entries or provide general feedback on its contents.

However, always remember that CBS logs may contain sensitive information.
Before sharing, please redact any personally identifiable or sensitive information from the file or excerpt.
And as PM is definitely better.

While I can try to analyze and provide insights on text-based data, CBS logs often contain verbose system-level details that may require deeper investigation and experience to understand fully. If you upload a segment of the CBS log, I can try to help interpret any specific entries or provide general feedback on its contents.

However, always remember that CBS logs may contain sensitive information.
Before sharing, please redact any personally identifiable or sensitive information from the file or excerpt.
And as PM is definitely better.
Will do. Give me about 15-20 minutes so that I can remove any personal info such like my real name etc.

Back