• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New SlySoft Product - Blu-ray Transcoder?

TheBeagle

Does anyone know anything about a rumor that has begun to circulate that SlySoft is close to developing a new software transcoder application that will work with Blu-ray discs? I've seen this mentioned in two places and it would seem to make a lot of sense.

I would certainly buy that type of an application in a heartbeat! Maybe it could include the ability to have subtitles accurately displayed on the ripped Blu-ray versions - that would be a true blessing. If anyone has some reliable information on this, can they please share it with the rest of us.

Best regards to everyone. TheBeagle :)

A transcoder is basically compressor which is responsible for compressing footage.

DVD Shrink, Clone DVD, 1Click DVD copy and many others are example of programs which use transcoder.

Maybe it could include the ability to have subtitles accurately displayed on the ripped Blu-ray versions - that would be a true blessing.

Are you having any trouble with subtitles in ripped blurays currently?

A transcoder is basically compressor which is responsible for compressing footage.

DVD Shrink, Clone DVD, 1Click DVD copy and many others are example of programs which use transcoder.

I was under the impression that h.264/vc-1 doesn't allow for transcoding like mpeg2 does. I'm sure everyone would love software that could shrink HD content without going through the whole decoding/re-encoding process.

I was under the impression that h.264/vc-1 doesn't allow for transcoding like mpeg2 does. I'm sure everyone would love software that could shrink HD content without going through the whole decoding/re-encoding process.

How can one shrink content without decoding and reencoding? I thought that was the definition of transcoding.

Yes - Subtitles Are Driving Me Crazy(ier)!

I can't seem to get the knack of getting subtitles to work when I transcode a Blu-ray disc into .mkv format. I have been using RipBot264 to accomplish the transcode after ripping the Blu-ray disc onto my hard drive with AnyDVD-HD. But no matter what setting I use on RipBot, the subtitles don't appear when they are suppose to.

For example, I have the full retail Blu-ray version of the movie "Patton" which has many scenes in which German military officers speak in German, but the English translation instantly appears on the screen in the original movie which is very important to understanding what is transpiring in the movie. However, after transcode to .mkv format, I can't get those subtitles to appear only when the German is spoken. I can get the entire movie to display subtitles in English, but that's very unnecessary (and annoying) during the remainder of the English speaking parts.

Considering the fact that the SlySoft folks are truly the "Masters" at making this ripping stuff work flawlessly, I sure hope they include a subtitle feature in that new software that deals effectively with Blu-ray subtitles when converting to the other major formats.

Thanks for confirming the forthcoming transcoding software. I'd be glad to beta test it if you're looking for folks to do that. Is there any release date established for the new software?

Best regards. TheBeagle :)

Last edited:
I've just started experimenting with mkvs, but I've had no significant trouble with subs, besides the fact that sometimes you need to OCR them (with suprip) into .srt files. Even that gets easier as suprip learns more about the characters. But, with BDsup2sub you can do them in idx format, which is much easier, though the sub resolution will be crappy (if you care about having neat subs--I don't).

This is basically what I do. I use eac3to and hdbrStreamExtractor (an eac3to gui), to demux (and convert to flac the lossless codecs), and then I convert the .sup files into .idx with bdsup2sub, or if it gives trouble (like with the HD-DVD movies I've tried), I OCR them with suprip. Then everything's ready to mux with mkvmerge. I haven't had any significant trouble with this.

By the way, you probably want only the forced subtitles to appear in your movies. I don't know yet if these programs can do only the forced subs, but with movies like Babel, there's an extra track containing only the subs that would be forced, i.e. the ones that appear when foreign languages are being spoken.

Last edited:
I just saw that there's an "export only forced" option in BDSup2Sub, and a similar option with Suprip so when using that you can select only the forced subs to appear. Should be your solution.

I still believe the number 1 concern with transcoders/encoders is speed.

Most hi def DVD fans feel RipBot264 and BD rebuilder re-encoding time is WAY TOO SLOW. And, want a software program like a transcoder that is extremely fast. As long as the end results are accurate with no errors.

I believe if you took a survey most back-up dvd fans standard or hi definition are not that concerned about subtitles, and that when they re-encode/transcode only 55% put subtitles on their back-up.

Forced subtitles are mandatory, typical example would be the forced subtitles in Kill Bill part 1, without them you would not be able to follow the theme of the movie.

:agree:

@ Slysoft
Take a look at the standard definition transcoder DVD Shrink, why is it still so VERY POPULAR after the last release many years ago, because of its unique design, easy to use, and extremely fast transcoder, still used around the world.
Build a high definition transcoder like DVD Shrink and you are sure to have a winning product in much demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I think the #1 concern is ACCURACY. One can always buy a faster computer, but if you've expended some significant energy attempting a conversion and letting it crank for some (many) hours and then burned it to a disc and then settled-in for a night of movie memory-making with friends and/or family you want the bloody thing to work perfectly!

RipBot264 does a fine job but is not perfect and is movie-only of course, and BD-Rebuilder is hit-or-miss at best, and mostly "miss" at this time.

If Slysoft could make a BD backup sw that *works* it doesn't matter how long it takes, I'd buy it.

But, with BDsup2sub you can do them in idx format, which is much easier, though the sub resolution will be crappy (if you care about having neat subs--I don't).
Firstly, BDSup2Sub (despite its name) can also export BD-SUPs.
Secondly, it can also export SUB/IDX in high resolutions. The reduction to 4 colors is inevitable though. Also highres VobSubs are of course not supported by any program. Some might crash, some will accept them without the slightest problem. VSFilter is said to accept them without problems.

Most hi def DVD fans feel RipBot264 and BD rebuilder re-encoding time is WAY TOO SLOW. And, want a software program like a transcoder that is extremely fast. As long as the end results are accurate with no errors.

I believe if you took a survey most back-up dvd fans standard or hi definition are not that concerned about subtitles, and that when they re-encode/transcode only 55% put subtitles on their back-up.

Forced subtitles are mandatory, typical example would be the forced subtitles in Kill Bill part 1, without them you would not be able to follow the theme of the movie.

:agree:

@ Slysoft
Take a look at the standard definition transcoder DVD Shrink, why is it still so VERY POPULAR after the last release many years ago, because of its unique design, easy to use, and extremely fast transcoder, still used around the world.
Build a high definition transcoder like DVD Shrink and you are sure to have a winning product in much demand.

The only reason DVDshrink is fast is because systems are a lot faster now, I have it running on an old P3 and an original P4 system and it takes hours to shrink films on those systems. If you take current H264 encoders and run them on new systems in a few years time they'll be just as quick as shrink is on systems today. Also the quality of the encoder in shrink was never exactly of the highest standard. I'd like the option to have the highest quality shrinking no matter the time it takes

I would rather it be an encoder for the better PQ but it needs options as far as how many passes etc for the times when speed is more important than best quality.

I just saw that there's an "export only forced" option in BDSup2Sub, and a similar option with Suprip so when using that you can select only the forced subs to appear. Should be your solution.

I tried to get the "export only forced" to work, but it was greyed-out and will not activate. Any thoughts on how to get that to work?

@adbear

Never had a video quality concern with DVD Shrink when using the quality default settings in DVD Shrink.

Most likely because:

1. I stuck with the 10% rule of no more compression than 10% if there was more than 10% compression I did not put the movie on a DVD-5 it got put on a DVD-9.

2. Most of the standard defination movies over 5.0 gb automatically got put on a DVD-9 with NO TO VERY LITTLE COMPRESSION.

Picture quality was great, just fit the right size GB'S on the right size DVD-5 or DVD-9 and no problem with video quality.
And playing on an up-scale DVD player you could pull 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, BDSup2Sub (despite its name) can also export BD-SUPs.
Secondly, it can also export SUB/IDX in high resolutions. The reduction to 4 colors is inevitable though. Also highres VobSubs are of course not supported by any program. Some might crash, some will accept them without the slightest problem. VSFilter is said to accept them without problems.

Why would you want to export SUPs to make mkvs?

I meant the resolution of the subs themselves. It's crappy even when you choose 1080p.

Back