• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Naming TV Show Directories in Plex

levowse

How do you name TV Show directories to reflect the name of the series that it contains? I downloaded 8 episodes of a series and was able to save them in the default directory i.e. TV Shows but would like to add the name of the series to the directory name so I don't end up with multiple directories with the same name. Please try and keep the directions as simple as you can I'm not particularly literate when it comes to doing these kinds of things. Also, can you rename a director from TV Shows to TV Shows - Witcher as an example and get Plex to see the remanned directory?

Any help you can provide would b appreciated.
Have a safe and happy holiday season.

How do you name TV Show directories to reflect the name of the series that it contains? I downloaded 8 episodes of a series and was able to save them in the default directory i.e. TV Shows but would like to add the name of the series to the directory name so I don't end up with multiple directories with the same name. Please try and keep the directions as simple as you can I'm not particularly literate when it comes to doing these kinds of things. Also, can you rename a director from TV Shows to TV Shows - Witcher as an example and get Plex to see the remanned directory?

I had to read your post a few times before I saw you were asking about PLEX.

Inside the Plex TV Shows directory, I create a directory (folder) named for the series name. I keep it simple, don't worry about year etc. because Plex will find that automatically.

Then ALL the episode files go into that series-specific directory. Keeps things organized and makes it easy to delete or move things.

(If you don't do this, and put everything into TV Shows, then it can become unwieldy with rapidly growing collections)

I handle this in such a way that I have created a folder for movies and series in the main directory.

Movies are therefore stored as follows: movies\movie title (year of release).mp4
I put (year of release) after the movie names because I have some movies that have the same title but are from different years.

I have stored series as follows: Series\Series name\Season 01\S01E01 - Series partial name.mp4 etc.

I've been using this with Plex for a few years now and haven't had any problems with it.

Use the AnyStream name templates to create folders according to Show names while downloading
Code:
%n/%n_S%sE%e_%t
Would create <showName>/<showName>_S01E01_<episodeTitle> inside your default download folder
You can extend that a bit to get something like /TV Shows/Lost/S01/Lost - S01E03 - Tabula Rasa.mp4 which works fine with Plex
Template for that would be like
Code:
TV Shows/%n/S%s/%n - S%sE%e - %t

Plex Support: Naming and Organizing Your TV Show Files

I had to read your post a few times before I saw you were asking about PLEX.

Inside the Plex TV Shows directory, I create a directory (folder) named for the series name. I keep it simple, don't worry about year etc. because Plex will find that automatically.

Then ALL the episode files go into that series-specific directory. Keeps things organized and makes it easy to delete or move things.

(If you don't do this, and put everything into TV Shows, then it can become unwieldy with rapidly growing collections)
I am so sorry; you are correct it is a PLEX related question. I did as you instructed and created a subfolder in the TV Shows folder and move the movies to the new folder. After doing so I had the TV Folder scan for new files bt the newly added directory isn't showing up. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, any thoughts? I you think I should move the question over to the PLEX forum I can do so but I am still hopefully you can help me sort this out.

I have a file for TV Shows then folders by the name of the series, then folders named and containing individual seasons. I don't really separate TV Shows by genre like I do movies, nor do I put the year of release unless there have been multiple versions of the show.

^
same.

For example, in TV folder, I have a folder named Breaking Bad. Inside that folder are 62 episode files for all 5 seasons.
I use same pattern as Cartman0208 posted, AS names them accordingly, and structure and metadata is picked up by Plex automatically.

Probably best to pursue the Plex refresh issue in a Plex forum.

Last edited:
I just send the files through Tmm (tiny media manager) and it will save them in Plex format, correct any episode naming and add the year automatically. That way I just write my files into a flat folder in a NAS tank. I normally convert the files into h.265 or AV-1 also and go to multi-in AAC, but I still like to follow folder arrangement as folks have listed above.

Tmm is free but I pay the dev $10 sub because it is such an excellent program and also use it for DVD/Blu-Ray sorting.

@levowse

I'm doing similar to what cartman0208 posted in post 4 of this thread.

I have the TV Show Name Template in Anystream configured as follows:

<provider>/ <show name>/S<season number>/<show name>_S<season number>E<episode number>_<episode title>.mp4

example:
Amazon\Reacher\S01\Reacher_S01E01_Welcome to Margrave.mp4
Code:
%p/%n/S%s/%n_S%sE%e_%t

When downloads are complete, I just drop the <show name> download folder into my "TV Shows" folder on my Plex server. Within a few minutes, the Plex server notices the files and starts scanning, making thumb nails, detecting opening/closing credit scenes.

I use an application called Filebot to name shows properly and I then name the directories according to show names. I also use it to rename movies:

I use an application called Filebot to name shows properly and I then name the directories according to show names. I also use it to rename movies:

This app is so handy I am not sure how I ever got along without it. I have been using it for quite some time and it is awesome. Works awesome for adhering to Plex naming standards.

How do you name TV Show directories to reflect the name of the series that it contains?

I noticed @ClicketyClack provided you the link to Plex's naming for shows. An example looks like this:
"\\server\Multimedia\Shows\Married... With Children\Married... With Children - s01e01 - Pilot.mp4"

You can avoid manual naming for the most part if you use the Naming Templates built in to AnyStream... which others have provided the variables they use.

For example, I use one for local and one for the network and can switch between them as needed. Keep in mind you can only use one at a time. Changing your selection will alter pending downloads in your queue.

My Custom Path + Variable Paths & Filenames
My network template uses: \\server\Multimedia\Shows\Other\%n< (%y)>\%n - s%se%e - %t
My local template uses: D:\AnyStream\Shows\%n< (%y)>\%n - s%se%e - %t
My Movies template uses: \\server\Multimedia\Movies\%t< (%y)>
That year variable was recently added and comes in handy for the most part. < (%y)>

I did as you instructed and created a subfolder in the TV Shows folder and move the movies to the new folder. After doing so I had the TV Folder scan for new files bt the newly added directory isn't showing up.

I'll assume your root media directories look something like this:
  • D:\Multimedia\Movies <<< all your movies are in here. You don't need a folder for each movie unless you need greater control of the metadata, etc.
  • D:\Multimedia\TV Shows\Married... With Children <<< with their respective episode files
  • D:\Multimedia\TV Shows\Bonanza <<< with their respective episode files
... as outlined using these Plex guides:
Code:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/categories/your-media/naming-and-organizing-tv-shows
If you have your media in different locations, you'll need to add the root directories for your media to your respective Media Libraries.

I am currently using two for the time being which looks like this if it helps:

Plex Movies Library
\\server\Multimedia\Movies
\\server\Multimedia2\Movies

Plex TV Shows Library
\\server\Multimedia\Shows
\\server\Multimedia2\Shows

Some Plex Library Settings to consider enabling are:
  • Scan my library automatically
  • Run a partial scan when changes are detected (click Show Advanced)
  • Scan my library periodically (my interval is set to hourly)

Back