• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Mount problem

EDIT: While checking my VCD version for another post, I noticed that devcon.exe is installed in the VCD folder \Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive, so I guess James was being facetious when he asked if you had such a program installed :doh: or he doesn't know what Elby puts in there. Which would reduce his ubergeek status for me ;)
I know. The question was - does he has *another* program called devcon.exe installed, which is accidentally started instead by the install process.

I know. The question was - does he has *another* program called devcon.exe installed, which is accidentally started instead by the install process.
Whew!! Glad to see that your ubergeek status is safe 8)

So perhaps his VCD download package was corrupted, or not from the "good" place? Although as it is free, why would it not be?

So perhaps his VCD download package was corrupted, or not from the "good" place? Although as it is free, why would it not be?

devcon.exe is used but if there was another devcon.exe file that was in the system PATH, for instance, then it's possible that this unexpected devcon.exe executable is being run during the installation process instead of the correct devcon.exe that comes with and is used by the VCD installer. I'm really not sure how devcon.exe is initiated by the installer.

devcon.exe is used but if there was another devcon.exe file that was in the system PATH, for instance, then it's possible that this unexpected devcon.exe executable is being run during the installation process instead of the correct devcon.exe that comes with and is used by the VCD installer. I'm really not sure how devcon.exe is initiated by the installer.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe
The above devcon.exe download from Microsoft comes as a zip package which creates an i386 folder containing the 32bit version and an ia64 folder with the 64bit version, plus the EULA, so your explanation makes sense. Juffi must have downloaded the devcon.exe zip package as part of something else. He should search for it (right click / properties /archive - should show as sfx zip archive) and delete it. Whatever program needed it would need the specific version for his operating system put into its own program folder (properties for these versions of devcon.exe will show version 5.2.3718.0), so the zip package is redundant now. That should allow him to install VCD without this problem. The VCD installer uses devcon.exe version 6.0.6001.18000.

Last edited:
I indeed use devcon for resetting my satellite receiver card (which sometimes needs resetting).

I'm currently travelling and cannot check this before tomorrow.

I deleted existing instance of Devcon which I had in windows\system32. I also uninstalled WinZip.

Exactly same things happen during installation and same failure in mounting.

Why is this winzip self extracting .exe of devcon not executing in silent mode but showing the window? Something must go wrong before that.

I deleted existing instance of Devcon which I had in windows\system32. I also uninstalled WinZip.

Why is this winzip self extracting .exe of devcon not executing in silent mode but showing the window? Something must go wrong before that.
Well, the "devcon.exe" shipping with VCD isn't a winzip self extracting exe. I assume the installer executes something else... :confused:

Look for the zip package elsewhere on your system. The one in \system32 folder was probably the executable, the zip package (same name) is somewhere else.

See my post #24 for version numbers so you can check which is which....

Thanks everybody, problem solved.

There was indeed another devcon.exe which was in another disk in my download directory where I happened to start the VCD installation. This devcon was the original self-extracting winzip exe from Microsoft. This devcon.exe was started during the installation instead of the devcon included in the installation package.

VCD installation is not totally foolproof :)

Thanks everybody, problem solved.

There was indeed another devcon.exe which was in another disk in my download directory where I happened to start the VCD installation. This devcon was the original self-extracting winzip exe from Microsoft. This devcon.exe was started during the installation instead of the devcon included in the installation package.

VCD installation is not totally foolproof :)

I'm glad to hear that you resolved the problem. :)

Back