• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request Making an smaller downloaded file

London

I normally use the 1920x1080 resolution at 15Mbps. OK, it's fast but the files are very big, between 4.5 al 18 Gb
On Amazon the AVC CBR, CVBR or HEVC codec doesn't change the final size, it's nearly the same.
I use also another downloader that I can change the download speed to 4 Mbps. I get the same resolution and quality but now the file is between 2 and 4 Gb. Also the time to download increase much more but I got an smaller file
The question is: How can I change the speed transfer from 15 Mp to 4 Mbps at 1920x1080? It would be great if I can get this option
Thank you

I normally use the 1920x1080 resolution at 15Mbps. OK, it's fast but the files are very big, between 4.5 al 18 Gb
On Amazon the AVC CBR, CVBR or HEVC codec doesn't change the final size, it's nearly the same.
I use also another downloader that I can change the download speed to 4 Mbps. I get the same resolution and quality but now the file is between 2 and 4 Gb. Also the time to download increase much more but I got an smaller file
The question is: How can I change the speed transfer from 15 Mp to 4 Mbps at 1920x1080? It would be great if I can get this option
Thank you
Well technically the same resolution but at different bitrates does not equal the same quality (all things being equal). So there is a reason, typically speaking, 1 file is much larger than another.

A smaller file taking more time to download does not compute for me. I do not know what software you are speaking of but that sounds like maybe a recorder vs. a downloader.

Overall resolution does not entirely dictate quality although I guess technically it limits it. You can have a high quality 1080P look as good or better than a poor quality 4k. The same goes for 720 vs 1080.

If your goal is simply smaller files just go with 720 res on your downloads. I actually think you are better off that way they a low quality 1080 stream. But that's just me.

I find that hard to believe ... the HEVC file is at least 30% smaller ... you can see the difference in bitrate next to the resolution box.
1691557487211.png1691557494611.png
You need to press F5 refreshing the Amazon page to apply the changed setting

Yeah, the other downloader is known for slower downloads.
Have a look at your task manager... if you see high cpu or gpu utilization during download, the file is transcoded during download, probably losing much quality.
AnyStream does not do that. Only the videos given by the providers are downloaded. If there's multiple versions on the same resolution, the highest one is selected for download.

It seems to me that you are mixing up some values here. The bitrate (z.B. 15Mbit/s) that is shown in the AnyStream download dialog is not the proposed transfer speed, but the amount of data that is used to encode one second of the film. As a rule of thumb you can assume "the lesser that value, the lower the quality (if the codec and the resolution is the same)". And of course - the higher the bitrate, the larger the files in the end (depending on the length of the film). Anystream does not recode any file but just downloads the files as they are offered by the streaming service. Amazon offers the videos in different codec variants with different bitrates, adjusted according the used codec. From my own experience I can state, that the files from Amazon are between 30% and 45% smaller in HEVC than H.264.

If you want to recode the downloaded files (to lower bitrates), you can do this by using tools like "Handbrake". But be aware, that this probably will reduce the quality a lot. I would rather recommend to use lower resolution (i.e. 720p) as DQ already said.

On the other hand: The transfer (or download) speed you mention is a complete different thing and depends on several factors (Internet-Connection, WLAN-Speed (if used), Downloadpattern, etc.). That may not make a big difference between different codecs, because of those parameters. But this has nothing to do with the bitrate of a given codec.

I redownloaded a bunch of tv shows in HEVC instead of H264 the size is exactly 40% less than the AVC VBR version.
It depends on the movies, CBR/VBR can be very close sometimes, but HEVC version is always 40% less than the AVC VBR version. Remember that you have to "reload" the page when you change the codec, it means when you change the codec in the settings you have to go back and click again on the title you want to load the good codec version.
The "15Mbps" means it's the maximum bitrate that can be used for a movie, sometimes the movie is 4 or 6 Mbps it really depends on what you download. Old movies are often bigger than recent movies.
The speed transfer doesn't change the finale size, you can set this in the settings (speed x1 x2, etc.).
If you want smaller file and you can play HEVC choose this codec, 40% smaller, if it's too big, so you should decrease the resolution to 720p.

I tested HEVC (H265) before anyone else here. It minimally has a 31% smaller file size than the other codecs.

Yes you are right, if you speak about the whole file you can have more or less than 40% because the audio stay untouched, when you choose hevc the audio is the same size than h264.

For each download I demux the tracks of the mp4 file so I see what is the real size of the video.

Something else to consider, while HEVC/H265 has a lower bit rate and smaller file size, it is said to be engineered to be "more efficient" and therefore generally provides the same quality picture at that lower bitrate compared to a AVC/H264 at a higher bit rate.

In other words, all else being equal on the video side, a video encoded as HEVC/H265 with a bit rate of say 10Mb/s will have a smaller file size and can look as good as a video encoded as AVC/H264 with a bit rate of say 15Mb/s.

There are some other differences like 8bit vs 10bit color depth support, H264 is limited to 8bit. H265 needs more CPU to decode, this means beefier hardware to play back, and if playing back on a mobile device battery life can suffer, etc.

Thank you guys for explanations.
The other program that I use for downloading use the FFmpg x264 encoder. It has a selectable preset with the options: superfast, veryfast, faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow. Preset doesn't affect on quality, just encoding speed and filesize. Then a slower preset will provide better compression, this gives a less file size and less bitrate, but you will pay for this with more encoding time. You can read an explanation here
Code:
https://write.corbpie.com/ffmpeg-preset-comparison-x264-2019-encode-speed-and-file-size/
I don't know if AnyStream use the FFmpg mp4 encoder but will be great to have a similar function

Thank you guys for explanations.
The other program that I use for downloading use the FFmpg x264 encoder. It has a selectable preset with the options: superfast, veryfast, faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow. Preset doesn't affect on quality, just encoding speed and filesize. Then a slower preset will provide better compression, this gives a less file size and less bitrate, but you will pay for this with more encoding time. You can read an explanation here
Code:
https://write.corbpie.com/ffmpeg-preset-comparison-x264-2019-encode-speed-and-file-size/
I don't know if AnyStream use the FFmpg mp4 encoder but will be great to have a similar function
You are wrong. AS doesn't encode and just downloads what the provider is offering. You just have the option of the codecs this provider offers and since HVEC is more efficient the file size is smaller.

Back