• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

The mystery continues. I had this BD open in Makemkv, then started AnyDVD and AnyDVD showed no issues in the status tray.

As expected, my UHD failed because it's bus encrypted. I created it without running MakeMKV or AnyDVD and just making an ISO off the disc. I was 100% sure this would fail and I was right. But it did show me something.

Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!

Notice the last part. On my previous blu-ray attempts I did not get that. Reset your drive (reboot, power off, after ejecting the disc) and put the disc in and let AnyDVD scan it. Then show me the status. For 1917. I'm too lazy to go grab my copy off the shelf behind me. LOL

Then that's another of my suspicions that even though we're testing more recent blu-rays, perhaps not all of them are bus encrypted. And since I don't deal with blu-ray very often anymore, I just assumed they started bus encrypting them all after a certain point. That would seem to indicate they do not.

What does AnyDVD do with that disc? Is it playable?
upload_2022-2-15_19-24-12.png

Makemkv also fails.

No no, that's the ISO. We know that'll fail. That ISO can never be decrypted by anything. I meant the original disc but nevermind, I grabbed mine:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD HD 8.5.9.0, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
PIONEER BD-RWBDR-212U 1.01
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.
Total size: 23327328 sectors (45561 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: 1917
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 66
Removed AACS copy protection!
Bad sector protection not found.

Now to check playback...

Maybe the Pios kind of reset themselves if they receive a new request for bus-decryption why the LGs just stay where they are. A very wild guess.

Ok, NOW James has some 'splaining to do. LOL That played perfectly. And it REALLY shouldn't. Because it's in theory calling LibreDrive before decrypting the disc but doesn't know that LibreDrive is active. So either the premise that it's calling LibreDrive before decrypting for blu-rays is wrong, or.....f***ing magic is happening.

Nope I just FORCE VALIDATED that LibreDrive was active this time and it's doing the same thing, decrypting and playing. yea, Um, @James....WTH man? :)

EDIT:

In case some log here would help...although not sure how. This is definitely with LIbreDrive active.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.9.0_Info_E_1917_13EAA1E4_0FE89422.ziplog
    381 KB · Views: 3
Got it. I know what's happening now. WOW that was messed up to figure out but James can rest easy knowing the world is proper. Simple answer....LibreDrive ain't working for blu-ray! It's NOT removing bus encryption on blu-rays. I know this for an absolute fact. So AnyDVD is happily grabbing the bus encryption key and decrypting like a good little soldier. I'm sure this should be reported to Mike, however. :)

EDIT:

Ummmmmmm. I'm at a complete and total loss here. It very much looked like LibreDrive was not removing bus encryption and AnyDVD was bus decrypting. HOWEVER, to refute that claim, I reset everything, disabled AnyDVD, enabled LibreDrive, and started up ImgBurn. ImgBurn gave me the usual "hey idiot, the disc is bus encrypted" message. However, I was able to mount the resulting ISO and have AnyDVD decrypt and validated with playback. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is happening.

Last edited:
For better understanding what might be going on we will James' input. Until then there is too much guessing. In the end - it still works what is most important and looks like a marvel considering that most of the times Mr. Murphy with his law is on board.

Mystery apparently solved...I guess. So, these foolish Pio drives don't appear to respect the blu-ray's "I said BUS ENCRYPT THIS" request. I just reset my drive completely, disabled AnyDVD, and loaded up ImgBurn to make an ISO that should be bus encrypted and fail to decrypt. The iso decrypts and plays just fine. Obviously it's quite a different story when a UHD calls for bus encryption.

I guess what doesn't make sense for me is what AnyDVD is doing? How does it know the data isn't bus encrypted? The log is pretty clear...

PIONEER BD-RWBDR-212U 1.01
Media is a Blu-ray disc.
Total size: 16654336 sectors (32528 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: RESIDENT_EVIL_RACCOON_CITY
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 76
It misses "Disc wants bus encryption!"
If the disc doesn't ask for it (maybe for a tiny additional AACS license fee?) the bus won't be encrypted.
EDIT: UHD Blu-rays always ask, so it is more noticeable here.

Got it. I know what's happening now. WOW that was messed up to figure out but James can rest easy knowing the world is proper. Simple answer....LibreDrive ain't working for blu-ray! It's NOT removing bus encryption on blu-rays. I know this for an absolute fact. So AnyDVD is happily grabbing the bus encryption key and decrypting like a good little soldier. I'm sure this should be reported to Mike, however. :)
I hope this is not the case with LG drives, because AnyDVD will not decrypt the bus with any Blu-ray disc, if it detects & uses Libre Drive.

I hope this is not the case with LG drives, because AnyDVD will not decrypt the bus with any Blu-ray disc, if it detects & uses Libre Drive.
What is your theory on what's going on?

It misses "Disc wants bus encryption!"
If the disc doesn't ask for it (maybe for a tiny additional AACS license fee?) the bus won't be encrypted.
EDIT: UHD Blu-rays always ask, so it is more noticeable here.

Yea I figured that out after coopervid mentioned 1917 that not all blu-rays are doing bus encryption even at this point. I assumed, wrongly, that any recent BD would automagically request it. Given that UHD requires it, that's why I made the assumption. Clearly that's wrong.

I'll do some testing. I still don't actually know why the Pio drives work. They are definitely removing bus encryption even on discs that ask. Please take a look at my 1917 log I posted. That's with LibreDrive enabled and bus encryption removed. Yet somehow AnyDVD gets the bus encryption key, applies decryption, and doesn't corrupt the video? WTF? How??

Sam, we are on the same page. And I think only @James can come up with a theory since he knows when and if he does what in AnyDVD.

Naw, we're good:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00
Media is a Blu-ray disc.
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 66
BUS ENCRYPTION DISABLED BY MAKEMKV LIBREDRIVE!

LG drives are behaving as normal.

Naw, we're good:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00
Media is a Blu-ray disc.
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 66
BUS ENCRYPTION DISABLED BY MAKEMKV LIBREDRIVE!

LG drives are behaving as normal.
I wasn't concerned at all. But we need to drill down why bus-decryntion on Pios still works.

I wasn't really concerned, just checking all the bases. Yes, the Pio drive mystery is weird no doubt.

Sam- just an idea to narrow down what's happening. Anydvd before 8.5.8.2 had a switch in registry to turn on / off bus-decryption. Maybe some tests with the old version might be leading us to what's going on.

It won't help, no. The tests I've done are sufficient. I've forced LibreDrive on the drive before enabling AnyDVD just to be sure and it gave the same result. AnyDVD is definitely calling LibreDrive and LibreDrive is definitely enabled. AnyDVD is just acting....odd.

Back