• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

LAVF Splitter

andy o

what's the advantage of LAV splitter over the MPC-HC one? I use it cause of easy one-button access to sub and audio control.

Numerous advantages. It's actively developed, for one. And is intended to replace the internal splitter. Again, you're going to be able to do titleset selection using LAVF soon. Can't do that with the internal splitter. I've yet to have any problems with LAVF and playing my movies.

I see. For now I'm not having those needs with the internal splitter, cause I don't play m2ts files, but the keyboard shortcuts come in very handy.

It's SO VERY close to replacing all my players. I'm doing a Batman BD marathon today and watching it in MPC-HC with lavf splitter/ffdshow/madvr. Absolutely awesome. Movie only playback right from the disc. In any case, this is somewhat offtopic so let me move this discussion to its own thread. :)

There, now we can discuss it further if anyone wishes to. I really love this setup a lot. madVR is an incredible renderer. LAVF Splitter splits everything I've thrown at it perfectly. For video decoding I'm using Cyberlink Video Decoder in HAM mode (PDVD11's version) and LAV CUVID for my nVIdia card. ffdshow won't be necessary for much longer for me as LAVF Splitter will be getting HD audio bitstreaming capabilities. Can't freaking wait. :D

found it.

was gonna leave it at that, but I guess I have to say something now.

PDVD11 is out?!

Never mind, I'll find that relevant thread later.

so LAVF doesn't have keyboard shortcuts yet, right? And you have to use ffdshow's subs, or directvobsub (which I could not make it do PGS)?

No, what I'm doing is using MPC-HC's sub renderer which handles PGS just fine. (madshi updated it and madVR to work together to render the subs properly, so, you need later versions of both to get it to work). I'm not sure what shortcuts you need. MPC-HC has a bunch that I use and work fine. Basically how I set it up is like this:

Install ffdshow, set it up for bitstreaming audio and nothing else
Install madVR
Install LAVF Splitter
Install MPC-HC...leave the subtitles enabled, disable ALL internal filters, set the renderer to madVR, add ffdshow audio decoder and Cyberlink Video Decoder (or LAV CUVID) to the external filters.

Good to go. Nothing more is needed, and I can do "open disc" to play BD's, or I can open the MPLS file directly if it doesn't select the right one automagically. Soon titleset selection will be available in the menu so you can pick the titleset you want to play.

And yes, PDVD11 is out. I haven't bought it. I installed the trial and pulled out the video decoder for use with MPC-HC. :D I still have PDVD10 installed.

Last edited:
I just need the subs shortcuts mostly (W to toggle on/off and S/Shift+S to switch between them). I think only works with the internal splitter, though I didn't know LAVF splitter allowed for the internal sub renderer.

There's no PDVD11 thread at AVS yet. Did you have to register the filter manually? Cause it's not showing in the MPC filter list.

registering manually worked, I was just wondering if my PowerDVD installation was borked for some reason. It installed two new services that I blocked.

No you have to register it manually, even if PDVD is fully installed. And the sub renderer shortcuts work just fine with LAVF. :)

Hi SamuriHL,
would you be able to quote the version number of listed software which work for you? Or maybe zip the lot and put it somewhere for download... I know this is too much to ask, just the versions will do :)
And thanks for this usefull post.

mbo

No, what I'm doing is using MPC-HC's sub renderer which handles PGS just fine. (madshi updated it and madVR to work together to render the subs properly, so, you need later versions of both to get it to work). I'm not sure what shortcuts you need. MPC-HC has a bunch that I use and work fine. Basically how I set it up is like this:

Install ffdshow, set it up for bitstreaming audio and nothing else
Install madVR
Install LAVF Splitter
Install MPC-HC...leave the subtitles enabled, disable ALL internal filters, set the renderer to madVR, add ffdshow audio decoder and Cyberlink Video Decoder (or LAV CUVID) to the external filters.

Good to go. Nothing more is needed, and I can do "open disc" to play BD's, or I can open the MPLS file directly if it doesn't select the right one automagically. Soon titleset selection will be available in the menu so you can pick the titleset you want to play.

And yes, PDVD11 is out. I haven't bought it. I installed the trial and pulled out the video decoder for use with MPC-HC. :D I still have PDVD10 installed.

Basically I set my laptop up to be able to build all the software I use except for madVR (source not available). So at the very moment I'm at:

MPC-HC 1.5.2.3052
ffdshow 3827
madVR 0.58
LAVF Splitter 0.23 (um, sort of...I have the latest source post 0.23)
LAV CUVID 0.4
Cyberlink Video Decoder from PDVD11

Note that LAV CUVID and Cyberlink Video Decoder are mutually exclusive. LAV CUVID is obviously for nVidia machines, and Cyberlink is for AMD using HAM mode. In general I try to stay as up to date on this software as possible. To do that you'll want to monitor each of the respective doom9 threads for each of those projects. I don't have time at the moment to find them all for you, but, search in google for "xxx doom9" and you'll find the threads yourself. I'm off for the day, but, if you have any questions let me know. I'll have my Xoom with me for Easter dinner so I might be able to check in once in a while if you get stuck. :)

Thank you SamuriHL,
I'm at work now and I will experiment with the software sometime during a week (days off). In fact I did read almost all the thread on doom9 on the subject but got lost a bit. I've never use this software and I try to make my understanding of oll of it.

Thanks again (that was quick respond)

mbo

IIRC, previous CL video decoders didn't work with HAM for VC-1, at least out of the box? I never tested, but I remember a post by renethx that said something like that, if I'm not mistaken. The one with PDVD11 does.

The pdvd10 one did, too. I have a test mkv that causes lots of problems but plays pefectly with this setup. No problem with ham at all.

Samuri, can you please tell me where I can see if LAVF Splitter is active in MPC-HC? I cannot see it it in the filters list during playback.

It definitely should be showing up in the filters list. If it's not, make SURE you go to the internal filters page and disable the internal filters. (Right click, disable all). Other than that, do you have any other splitters installed such as haali? You can always add LAVF Splitter to the external filters list and set it to prefer.

Just a note for people following this thread, I've actually switched the player from MPC-HC in my environment to J River MC16. That is not a free player but I really like the functionality and the fact that I have my entire library of movies in one place. Plus you can set up different filter chains based on file/media type. I have EVERYTHING working in it now with the same basic configuration as I had in MPC-HC. DVD (can't use madVR for renderer on W7, so, I use EVR), BD movie only, MKV, tivo, mpg, ts, m2ts, m2t....etc. All working perfectly for me now with this player. Again it's not a free player so it may not be for everyone, but, if you decide you want the extra options of MC16, just know you can get this all to work.

My Windows installation is quite fresh. There are no other Splitters installed.

All internal filters are disabled in MC-HC. LAVF is set to preferred. Still doesn't show up. I can see it in Graphstudio though when rendering a m2ts file.

Uhhhh, hmm. I don't really know what's going on there. It should definitely be showing up. Especially if it's set to preferred. Maybe post on the LAVF Splitter thread on doom9 and see if Nev or someone can help.

Back