• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Keep 3 Drives or not?

kwoo64

Hey guys, new here. I'm getting the LG GGW-H20L to do some blu ray burning. I already have two other drives a Liteon JLMS XJ-HD166S and a TDK DVRW840G that I have been using to burn regular movies. Question... Should I get rid of one of those, if so which one, and replace it with the LG or keep all 3? I have 2 extra bays. I put this PC together a few years ago and am a little rusty. I think the two now are on main and secondary, where would the LG go if I wanted to keep all 3? I also have a second hard drive hooked up.

Your old drive are on IDE interface. However Lg GGW H20L is SATA. It should be not necessary to remove drive given that you have sata port on motherboard. But hey you can if you like to remove it.

It's good idea to have multiple drive since some better reader than others.

The LG is SATA, sounds like the others are IDE so they will not use the same controller. Why not keep them all? That is what I did in two of my systems. I use the BD drive for BD work and the others for everything else. Keeps the usage on the BD drive down.

If you have enough room and in your case and enough connections for the devices then there is no problem having 3 drives.

I couldn't live with only 3, 5.25" drive bays, I have 11 in my case but only use 7. 3 optical drives are almost the minimum for the enthusiast nowadays.:D:D

I couldn't live with only 3, 5.25" drive bays, I have 11 in my case but only use 7. 3 optical drives are almost the minimum for the enthusiast nowadays.:D:D

Lol, I have 26 bays (total) between 2 cases, and I am using all but 6 of them, I have planned upgrades to fill 4 of those 6 this year

10TB of HDD's, 4 optical, 2 sound card, 1 media card reader, 1 floppy, and 1 5" psu for gfx card

1 day I will stop bs'n around and get a Lian Li E-ATX server case

ocgw

peace

Last edited:
Bays are quickly filled when using tape drives... ;) (most of them occupy 2 slots)

I think you should keep just 2 drives in your pc and build a new one with the spare one. Thats my way of recycling computer components. In my opinion you should use the Liteon for it as they are of lower quality than TDKs.

Last edited:
If you have physical room keep them all, IDE or SATA connections, and balance the load between primary and secondary, master and slave connections for the IDE optical drives.

I have three optical drives on my old computer
Plextor 708A IDE connection
Plextor 716SA SATA connection
Plextor 760A IDE connection

I have two optical drives on my new computer
TSST Corp TS-H653F SATA connection
LG GBW-H20L SATA connection
:D

Lol, I have 26 bays (total) between 2 cases, and I am using all but 6 of them, I have planned upgrades to fill 4 of those 6 this year

10TB of HDD's, 4 optical, 2 sound card, 1 media card reader, 1 floppy, and 1 5" psu for gfx card

1 day I will stop bs'n around and get a Lian Li E-ATX server case

ocgw

peace

18TB of hard drives and 3 optical. I flip my HDD's in and out of 4 BlacX eSata docking stations ... I need to find a better way.

Tired of waiting for that 20TB SSD to be released :)

kwoo64: keep as many as you can

Yeah , If you have the space in the tower then keep them. I would look to slowly upgrade your drives though to all Sata after time. Keeps things up to date. Its nice to have a fast reading drive too.

McT

Back