• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

It looks like Blu-ray won?

Honestly I think Toshiba is trying to milk the consumers that's all and create confusion. What will they counter attack? Every where you go they are suggesting Blu-Ray. Remember we have access to the net but not every one on this so they'll get what's suggested.

Just like until this morning they had "no plans to drop HD DVD"?? :D Please. They'll go where the money is. Don't forget they helped create Cell in the first place and have a license to use it. They could make some pretty kick ass BD players and make some of those lost millions back quite easily.

Exactly, one would think that Toshiba BD drives aren’t that far off.

There's one. Let's go, Paramount/DW. A lot of people are waiting for Transformers on Blu-ray now. Even though I already have it, there's a few other titles I want on Blu-ray such as Top Gun and all the Star Trek movies. And Dreamworks has a ton of stuff I'd love to see in HD. It's a shame Heroes season 2 sucked so bad and was cut short. Maybe they can fit the whole season 2 on 1 Blu-ray disc. LOL! I'm guessing they'll re-release Heroes season 1 on Blu sometime this summer. For those of you who didn't get to see season 1 in HD, you're missing out.

Awesome! I was pretty sure they were going to drop HD DVD support in their drives, so, that's great! The LG drives are amazing.

I just had a really crappy thought. What if Cyberlink decided to drop HD DVD support for PowerDVD Ultra? :( No, I'm not saying they have done this or are going to, but, it's at least possible. That would really suck.

I don't see why they would. They already have working code and its not like there will be fancy new HD DVD features coming out anytime soon. It's one thing to stop making a hardware device, but its another thing to remove something perfectly functional from software. Cyberlink would never do that. Oh wait... :doh:

I don't see why they would. They already have working code and its not like there will be fancy new HD DVD features coming out anytime soon. It's one thing to stop making a hardware device, but its another thing to remove something perfectly functional from software. Cyberlink would never do that. Oh wait... :doh:

ROFLMAO! Now you see my concern. :) The last time the HD DVD code was updated was simply for MKB v4. AFAIK, there's been no bug fixes or any other crap needed. (A testament to the stability of the format, I'd say. "Even" Cyberlink got it right. :doh:) I could, unfortunately, easily see them removing support for it on the ground that it'd make fixing bugs in the blu-ray portion of the code easier. (Whether it would or not I have no idea, tbh, but I could see them trying to make the argument that support for Blu-ray only would be an easier product to deal with). That would mean we'd need to hang on to older versions of PowerDVD for yet another reason. Again, this is *PURE* speculation on my part and a "what if" scenario. Please don't anyone panic that it's going to get removed based on my speculation. It's just a really bad thought I had.

CH-DVD / BluRay combo

Awesome! I was pretty sure they were going to drop HD DVD support in their drives, so, that's great! The LG drives are amazing.

Since HD-DVD and CH-DVD share the same technical characteristics, there might be a big market for CH-DVD / BluRay combo players in China. I suppose chinese people would also like to see other movies beside the homemade releases.

Since HD-DVD and CH-DVD share the same technical characteristics, there might be a big market for CH-DVD / BluRay combo players in China. I suppose chinese people would also like to see other movies beside the homemade releases.

Fascinating idea. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

And as I predicted - from MSN article:

"Also Tuesday, Toshiba said it plans to spend more than 15.7 billion for two plants in Japan to produce sophisticated chips called NAND flash memory, which are used in portable music players and cell phones. Production there will start in 2010."

-W

As I've said before, there really wasn't a choice to begin with. Your "choice" was limited to "can I live without titles from these studios, or these studios?" People who said "buy all the HD DVD's and stick to DVD on studios that don't support it" were missing the point. I didn't want to stick to DVD. If I did, I'd have bought neither. Consumers only ever had a chance at having a choice IF ALL STUDIOS RELEASED THEIR STUFF ON BOTH FORMATS EQUALLY. But that never happened. So, there was only 2 ways for this to "end." Either all the studios lined up behind one format(I thought this very unlikely until Warner's decision) or we'd get a cheap dual format player so that the format became irrlevant to the consumer. I thought the latter was more likely and I was wrong. Nonetheless, consumer choice in the matter was a joke. Buy one format and stick to DVD for those that didn't support it, buy neither format and stick to DVD period(most did this), or buy both to hedge your bets as I did. That's not exactly a choice...

I couldn't agree more. The BD/HD DVD war was never in the consumer's hands. Too much behind-the-scenes *ahem*, "incentives" going on. Had all studios released on both formats, we may very well have been looking at a different outcome. At the very least, it would have made the Blu-Ray win acceptable.

The war did nothing but extend the time it will take for HD Media to gain widespread adoption. That means higher prices for us all in the long run. We have already lost 3 years because of the consumer confusion, and now that the war is decided, it will take even longer due to the Blu-Ray "Profile" crap, and the lingering confusion... and "planned obscolescense" of Blu-Ray profiles ain't gonna help either.

But that's business, as they say.

What I find strangely incomprehensible is the CE manufacturers' almost blind support for Blu-Ray when they knew that they were going to be competing against a heavily subsidized player such as the PS3. Kinda makes you wonder...

But... water under the bridge at this point.

Perhaps it as simple as:

Given that Sony lost the BetaMax/VHS tape battle many years ago, it wanted to win the next generation video format battle and had the financial backing to succeed.

As was said above.....business is business.

At least we consumers have a clear view now of the options. Let's hope that prices don't now rise as we will be paying the price for Sony's "Victory"

Well HDDVD wasnt a total failure for Toshiba.

There mission was to make the brand name more consumer aware.
I havent read a single bad thing in forums or media about them or HDDVD, I have how ever read lots and lots on Sony.

Toshiba has come off well respected and I think the press will now concentrate on the failings of the BR. I personaly thing the movie studio's deserve BR and I think they will regrete it.

I also expect the BR to be a flash in the pan and something else will come out soon to replace it.

There hasnt been a single Sony media format that the consumer has bought into.

To the industry don't expect sales of BR to grow much this year even with exclusivity. I for one won't be buying (renting and using my HTPC).

Perhaps it as simple as:

Given that Sony lost the BetaMax/VHS tape battle many years ago, it wanted to win the next generation video format battle and had the financial backing to succeed.

I agree with this. I believe Sony did not want to lose a format war again. They invested so much and didn't want to lose that they actually released an unfinished product and then hyped it and had it part of the PS3 in order to hold of HD-DVD from winning. If Sony had held back the release of BD then I have no doubt that HD-DVD would have won. If Sony had waited for a finalized specification before the release of BD it just wouldn't have survived.

Toshiba is obviously going to hurt financially from the loss of the format war but they can afford to eat that loss. Sony, IMHO, could not have afforded BD losing the war because they had too much invested.

Back