• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Issues with AnyStream 1.1.3.3 (beta, 64-bit)

The Prime side used plain old QT web-browser, disable the Prime provider [...]
Two small issues with that idea:
  1. I have no way to disable it (see attached screenshot below)
  2. It's the one I am interested in downloading stuff from
To post a logfile you look at the GUI on Anystream, upper left hand corner you will see FILE, press it, then you see Create log file, create it, then upload the zip file to the forum.
Exactly the reason I asked. I'm not sure how you want me to access a main menu that isn't visible, compounded by the fact that the modal dialog box telling me to log into my streaming provider (which keeps popping up after dismissing it ... and yes, more than the number of active providers) wouldn't even let me access it if it were visible (after all it's a modal dialog box).

Or let me rephrase: where? (This screenshot was also attached to my initial question.)

AnyStream_white_main_window.png

Sending you a log file of AnyStream working (when starting the VM from the Windows host and with 3D hardware acceleration active) would be possible, but pointless. No?

No, it doesn't. It works for me with 3D hardware acceleration disabled, and it works for Pegasus with 3D hardware acceleration disabled. So there's something else going on with your setup.
Yes, it was mentioned before. However, it'd be interesting how and if DirectCompute shows up in GPU-Z inside your guest then ... it's the only tangible difference I get to see inside the guest and so there's a correlation, if not causation.

Last edited:
Well the developers always say 'chromium browser's, not qt

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Install your Windows N as a dual boot, install Anystream and enjoy it. That's the answer for now , sorry you are having issues.
Linux and Windows are already installed for dual-booting. Windows then acts as the host for the VMware guests as outlined in my question.

And yes, that works. Heck, AnyStream even works on said Windows host directly (cut out the VM as middleman). But given one has to tend to AnyStream (no option to queue) it's a bad workaround at best. It prevents me from doing my normal work (from Linux). If there was a queuing feature in AnyStream I would indeed happily boot into the Windows host and queue stuff to be downloaded overnight. But as I understand queuing is still merely a feature request at this point. So your suggestion (and please don't get me wrong, I assume you gave it with the best of intentions) amounts to telling me to put all other stuff on hold in order to have a lengthy AnyStream-only "session" while booted from Windows. The only other time I boot into Windows is when I need to debug a kernel driver on another physical Windows machine via USB.

Thing is: changing to Windows as my main system is no option.

Still I noticed and appreciate the "for now" in your answer. For I am otherwise a very happy user of RedFox and have been for quite some years. Thanks! (y)

Last edited:
Yes, it was mentioned before. However, it'd be interesting how and if DirectCompute shows up in GPU-Z inside your guest then ... it's the only tangible difference I get to see inside the guest and so there's a correlation, if not causation.

It is not enabled according to GPU-Z.

N is pretty much a show stopper, as N doesn't include any DRM nor DRM interop. Luckily, it's easily fixed by simply installing the Media Feature Pack for N editions

Absolutely. I was curious about the different versions a few years back when I first started seeing N Editions in the Windows 10 Evaluation ISO.
I recall it had something to do with licensing and Europe as it related the Media Player. So, I've always remembered it as simply N = No Media Features. (y)

Absolutely. I was curious about the different versions a few years back when I first started seeing N Editions in the Windows 10 Evaluation ISO.
I recall it had something to do with licensing and Europe as it related the Media Player. So, I've always remembered it as simply N = No Media Features. (y)
It is evidently not a show stopper.

How else can you explain that an N edition guest - as long as 3D hardware acceleration is enabled - and the Windows Pro 10 for Workstations N host, neither of which have the Media Extensions Pack installed, are both able to run AnyStream and have AnyStream do its magic successfully? I pointed this out before: the missing "Media" features cannot be the issue at all, because AnyStream performs fine in the exact same VM as long as the 3D hardware acceleration has been activated. My whole trouble boils down to two things:
  1. AnyStream showing a blank GUI (see screenshots above) making it impossible to interact with it (including the ability to retrieve a log file!). This is merely a case of bad UX, in my opinion. Because if some prerequisites aren't met the problem ought to be reported to the user. Instead I am being prompted to log into the streaming provider by a modal dialog box appearing centered on the otherwise blank GUI (and dismissal of the dialog box causes another one to reappear; I tried at least a dozen times!).
  2. I am unable to enable the 3D hardware acceleration feature for any VMs from my Linux host. That's not an issue of AnyStream (and I never claimed it was) and it's not an issue I expect RedFox to solve for me (I am engaged with VMware regarding that and I have just tested some minutes ago if their latest point release 16.1.2 on Linux fixes the issues for me, which it doesn't). However, issue 2 appears to lead to issue 1 for me (correlation), even though other users are reporting different behavior (which makes me very very curious indeed about the detailed differences in setup).
The N editions (and KN, where K is for [South] Korea) have been around quite a while and I have worked with them for probably around a decade by now. They are no worse than the corresponding (Home/Education/Pro/...) edition and if the need be the Media Extensions Pack can be installed into them.

However, since I found this curious and have a Visual Studio Pro subscription and the respective ISOs at hand, I'll let VMware install me a few Windows 10 editions and I'll give them a try with AnyStream without 3D hardware acceleration first (and perhaps later with). I'll report back here. In the best case I'll find an edition that works for me without the 3D acceleration active ... worst case we learn nothing new.

All Windows 10N was, a version without the media player, Windows 10 N editions are specifically designed for Europe and Switzerland to comply with the European law. The N stands for Not with Media Player and does not come with Windows Media Player pre-installed

Well the developers always say 'chromium browser's, not qt

I thought they said it mimics chromium, not "is" chromium.

<snip>

So, I've always remembered it as simply N = No Media Features. (y)

I remembered it as Neutered (someone at Redmond clearly has a sense of humour ;) )

Anyway, does setting
Code:
QT_OPENGL=software
environment variable not fix the problem?..

I remembered it as Neutered (someone at Redmond clearly has a sense of humour ;) )
Cheeky ;)

Anyway, does setting
Code:
QT_OPENGL=software
environment variable not fix the problem?..
Just tried it, nope it doesn't. The window remains blank (i.e. white with only a title bar, no menu bar or other GUI).

Btw: when logging into the streaming provider(s) during a run on the Windows host, i.e. with 3D hardware acceleration enabled, the prompt won't be there next time (obviously). But also no way to create a log file or somehow access aspects of the GUI.

Oh, would it help the developers to get a minidump with procdump (the program from Sysinternals)? I could certainly do that. You'd see the loaded binary and in all likelihood the call stack or where it's getting stuck.

It's angle!

Code:
QT_OPENGL=angle

Does it. Once I do that, the GUI is no longer blank. Thanks 0x0x0x0x0, for the pointer! (y) ... trying the first download now, using this method (so far it seems to work!).

Back