• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Issues ripping The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition (US)

Because they're RPC-2 drives. Meaning if I stick a non-region 1 dvd in my drive, the stupid thing refuses to play it no matter what I do except for using up one of the 5 region changes. (I'm down to 2 I think). I completely and totally hate this drive even though it's a BD burner. When I replace this laptop probably next year, you can bet I'll be doing research on laptops to make sure I don't get another Matshita. I apologize and don't mean to hijack your thread with this. Just wanted to let you know when you said that your drive should be faster than a USB drive that some (I guess I did say all and that wasn't quite right) internal laptop drives are USB. Don't ask me how that works...IMO, not very well! :D

I would say it's unlikely it's the drive that's USB, more likely the controller it connects to as Laptop drives tend to be the same. What's the model number?

Oh I'm agreeing with that point completely. It's a MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ-220S 1.04 08072300. I do agree that the laptop is probably connecting the optical drive connection via usb but that the drive itself is not likely to be a usb drive.

Yeah, those drives are SATA connected, trust Sony to connect it via USB. My laptop has 4 SATA connectors, 2 SATA 3 for the hard drives and 1 SATA 2 for the optical and 1 esata.

My next laptop is not going to be a Sony, I can assure you of that. It's a fine machine and has lasted quite a while. (This is year 3 as of next month). However, for the price I paid I can get a far better machine. Of course, the drive I just put in this thing isn't so bad. :D One of them seagate hybrid drives. Anyway, I think BD drives for laptops have become more plentiful since I bought this thing. There really wasn't a lot of options back then. And like others, I don't need a burner anymore. I can live with a decent read only drive.

Well I tend to build my own, but I have found that the price difference between the player and the writer is only around £10-£15

Then things have changed a lot since I bought my laptop. I wasn't under the impression that it was easy to build your own laptop. I build my own desktops and HTPC's and have done so for over 25 years now. But laptops are a bit unique. I'm waiting til they follow through with their promise to make laptops more modular. I'd love to just replace the mobo, cpu, memory, and video card. Just like we do on desktops.

We buy in the chassis then buy in Hard drives, optical drives RAM etc and can even choose different graphics cards

That's pretty darn sweet. What I've always wanted to be able to do myself.

@zero7404, if you want me to move this off topic stuff out of your thread just let me know.

back on topic again .... i am able to run a full conversion of the fellowship using the new drive, but when the conversion is complete the file won't play on any of my media player platforms (wmp, vlc, itunes). this is weird. sat thru 6 hours of encoding and watched it all go well, but it just won't play. i have other blu-rays i encoded in exactly the same manner using avs video converter and they play fine.

also, i decided to make a bd copy of the movie with imgburn and the copy bd worked fine, no issues or hickups. i know avs isn't a slysoft product but maybe someone has a clue as to what's going on with the issue.

details of my encoding are:

MP4/H.264 codec
same resolution (1920x1080)
same frame rate (23-24fps)
mpeg2/4 audio @ 256kbps
bitrate of around 3500
final file size: 4.5GB

Last edited:
That's pretty darn sweet. What I've always wanted to be able to do myself.

@zero7404, if you want me to move this off topic stuff out of your thread just let me know.

i have no issue

back on topic again .... i am able to run a full conversion of the fellowship using the new drive, but when the conversion is complete the file won't play on any of my media player platforms (wmp, vlc, itunes). this is weird. sat thru 6 hours of encoding and watched it all go well, but it just won't play. i have other blu-rays i encoded in exactly the same manner using avs video converter and they play fine.

Can you provide some media info output for one that plays vs one that doesn't? Maybe we can see what's different and figure out why they won't play. MediaInfo is open source if you don't have it. Just google for it and you'll find it easy enough.

Can you provide some media info output for one that plays vs one that doesn't? Maybe we can see what's different and figure out why they won't play. MediaInfo is open source if you don't have it. Just google for it and you'll find it easy enough.

i just updated my previous post to include that info. so far i have flawless mp4's of movies like 300, bourne trilogy, batman begins, dark knight ... same output file settings.

avs is a detailed encoder, there are lots of settings to choose, but i select single-pass constant bit rate and the codec i want, then let it encode.

so far i've been choosing the largest m2ts file on the disc to make mp4's, but avs suggests picking the index file in the BDMV folder and choosing the track i want (the tracks appear in a list after the file is loaded).

No, that's not the info I need. A MediaInfo report would look like this:

Code:
General
Complete name                    : Trueblood-S1E01.avi
Format                           : AVI
Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
File size                        : 659 MiB
Duration                         : 58mn 32s
Overall bit rate                 : 1 573 Kbps
Writing application              : MEncoder Tools4Movies 310311
Writing library                  : MPlayer

Video
ID                               : 0
Format                           : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile                   : Simple@L1
Format settings, BVOP            : No
Format settings, QPel            : No
Format settings, GMC             : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix          : Default (H.263)
Codec ID                         : DX50
Codec ID/Hint                    : DivX 5
Bit rate                         : 1 432 Kbps
Width                            : 640 pixels
Height                           : 360 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.259
Stream size                      : 600 MiB (91%)
Writing library                  : Lavc52.115.0

Audio
ID                               : 1
Format                           : MPEG Audio
Format version                   : Version 1
Format profile                   : Layer 3
Mode                             : Joint stereo
Mode extension                   : MS Stereo
Codec ID                         : 55
Codec ID/Hint                    : MP3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 53.6 MiB (8%)
Alignment                        : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration             : 24 ms (0.58 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration     : 504 ms

That gives a lot more info. If you could do that for the one that's not working vs one that is, we could probably help.

No, that's not the info I need. A MediaInfo report would look like this:

That gives a lot more info. If you could do that for the one that's not working vs one that is, we could probably help.

how do you get a report like this, is there a particular software that can do it ? noticed you use MPlayer, i'm in a windows environment ... i think MPlayer is linux.

how do you get a report like this, is there a particular software that can do it ? noticed you use MPlayer, i'm in a windows environment ... i think MPlayer is linux.

hehehe. MPlayer is part of the conversion tool I used to make that particular divx file. (From the True Blood BD's no less). I'm on W7 64 on all my machines. MediaInfo. That's the tool I was telling you to google for. It installs right into explorer if you want so you can right click and get Mediainfo on any particular media file. It's very handy. I set it to output text by default when setting it up for the first time.

Samuri, thanks for that info.

here is the info from the MP4 i am having trouble with:

General
Complete name : D:\Temp\00001.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 4.57 GiB
Duration : 2h 58mn
Overall bit rate : 3 666 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2011-07-13 04:14:29
Tagged date : UTC 2011-07-13 04:14:29
Writing library : AVS

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 3 433 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.069
Stream size : 4.28 GiB (94%)
Language : English
Material_Duration : 10704079
Material_StreamSize : 4593072908
Material_FrameCount : 256641

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 227 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 290 MiB (6%)
Material_Duration : 10703981
Material_StreamSize : 304312358

here is info from a known good MP4 with the same settings:

General
Complete name : D:\Music\iTunes\Movies\The Bourne Identity.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 3.06 GiB
Duration : 1h 58mn
Overall bit rate : 3 703 Kbps
Recorded date : 2002
Encoded date : UTC 2011-07-10 06:42:14
Tagged date : UTC 2011-07-11 07:59:17
Writing library : AVS
Cover : Yes
Comment : HD

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 3 458 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.070
Stream size : 2.86 GiB (93%)
Tagged date : UTC 2011-07-10 06:42:14
Material_Duration : 7097389
Material_StreamSize : 3067996656
Material_FrameCount : 170167

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 241 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 204 MiB (6%)
Tagged date : UTC 2011-07-11 07:59:17

hope this helps

Last edited:
It does. It's showing that you're not using the same profile. The first one that doesn't work is in AVC format. The second one that does work is in MPEG-4. So, somehow not the same exact settings in your conversion program. I'm not familiar with your program at all so I can't help with that, but, that's what's going on. Definitely showing a different format even though the streams are the same format. The container is the issue.

EDIT: Ok I need to learn to read difficult to read posts. :D No, I'm wrong on container. They are the same. Lemme look again. Cause now I don't see any difference. I'm also going to fix your post to make it easier to read. (Ah, you beat me to it)

Last edited:
Ok, took another look and don't see any obvious issues there. I really don't know what could be wrong with it. If the second one plays, in theory the first one should, too.

i noticed that the bits are different between the 2 files. one is .069 and the other is .070 ... could that have something to do with it ?

Back