• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Issues ripping The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition (US)

sierra117

i have the blu-ray collection in the US, i inserted the disc with anydvd hd running, and it keeps scanning the disc. using the latest anydvd hd ....

i want to continue putting my movie collection on my computer but it doesn't look like anydvd will recognize the disc to let me do a conversion ...

i have the blu-ray collection in the US, i inserted the disc with anydvd hd running, and it keeps scanning the disc. using the latest anydvd hd ....

i want to continue putting my movie collection on my computer but it doesn't look like anydvd will recognize the disc to let me do a conversion ...

I own the US release of the EE version. I haven't experienced this problem. I threw The Hobbit (Part 1) in and it took a couple seconds and was ready to go.

You'll need to specify which of all those discs is causing the problem. Sounds to me like a dirty disc or maybe it has a film on it. I've experienced that before where I had to clean off a thin film from an imported Blu-Ray disc I purchased. Once that was done my drive could read the disc.

I own the US release of the EE version. I haven't experienced this problem. I threw The Hobbit (Part 1) in and it took a couple seconds and was ready to go.

You'll need to specify which of all those discs is causing the problem. Sounds to me like a dirty disc or maybe it has a film on it. I've experienced that before where I had to clean off a thin film from an imported Blu-Ray disc I purchased. Once that was done my drive could read the disc.

i am trying with the fellowship of the ring. it sometimes removes the protection (after a restart), then i start the conversion using avs, but anydvd hd looks like it 'forgets' the disc and tries to scan it again. most times i've inserted and started anydvd it would struggle trying to read the disc unsucessfully.

what gets me is that it can find and remove the encryption sometimes. not long enough to do a full encode.

the disc is new, clean

i am trying with the fellowship of the ring. it sometimes removes the protection (after a restart), then i start the conversion using avs, but anydvd hd looks like it 'forgets' the disc and tries to scan it again. most times i've inserted and started anydvd it would struggle trying to read the disc unsucessfully.

what gets me is that it can find and remove the encryption sometimes. not long enough to do a full encode.

the disc is new, clean

I meant to say that I thew in The Fellowship of the Ring. Not sure why I said The Hobbit. You could post some log files for The Fellowship. Maybe something will stand out. It sounds to me like the problem is hardware related or some form of conflict. For the heck of it I'll try copying The Fellowship to my HDD with v6.8.4.0 but I don't expect to encounter any issues.

I've moved these posts to a thread of their own since this is an issue with ripping the discs as opposed to a playback problem with the European releases and the Java protection they contained. The US LoTR set doesn't contain the Java protection.

I've ripped the The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition (Part 1) (US) without issue and I'm currently ripping The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition (Part 2) to my HDD. I expect it rip without issue.

There is something else going on that is leading to the problems being experienced. More details are needed such as AnyDVD log files.

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your system tray.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif
(in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
i) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
j) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
k) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
l) click "upload"
m) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

Just completed ripping The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition (Part 2) (US) to my HDD. No issues encountered.

it looks like this thread was cleaned up, i posted a few comments but they are no longer on here, don't know why.

i just want help figuring out my problem: fellowship on blu-ray doesn't read sucessfully with anydvd HD, the drive keeps struggling. same issue with ghostbusters blu-ray. haven't seen this problem with my other blu-rays (batman begins, dark knight, stargate, 300, etc.)

perhaps it is my drive ? i have an HP Envy 17 and it came with a slot load blu-ray reader (toshiba i believe) ....

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks like this thread was cleaned up, i posted a few comments but they are no longer on here, don't know why.

i just want help figuring out my problem: fellowship on blu-ray doesn't read sucessfully with anydvd HD, the drive keeps struggling. same issue with ghostbusters blu-ray. haven't seen this problem with my other blu-rays (batman begins, dark knight, stargate, 300, etc.)

perhaps it is my drive ? i have an HP Envy 17 and it came with a slot load blu-ray reader (toshiba i believe) ....

No, I moved your posts. Your problem is completely unrelated to the thread you originally posted in. The thread was about a playback issue due to a Java protection on the European release of these movies. The US release doesn't use the protection and you aren't having a problem with playback.

Note the info I've already posted.

Last edited:
I've just done all six US discs from the latest LOTR release without any problems whatsoever.

i didnt see my posts moved here because the subscription sidnt carry over. turns out the lens was dirty. i stuck the straw of the air can in the slot and blasted the drive a few times. now it works fine. i thought some drives would have difficulty or it could have been the method which the disc was made.

guess its time to disassemble the laptop and clean it good.

thanks everybody for helping ... i appreciate it

some more experimenting .... the drive that came with my laptop appears to be a POS. it's a Toshiba blu-ray slot load reader, i had hoped it would fair better than the reputation Mat*hita drives have, but apparently this isn't so.

i bought an external LG slim Blu-ray burner (usb 2.0) to test out the discs i have problems with, not only did anydvd decrypt the disc right away, the conversion to mp4 is going smoother/faster than with the internal drive, which is a shock because i think sata is faster than usb 2.0

i don't really want to keep the external burner, i want to open up the laptop and replace the drive. so far the only suitable candidates i can find is panny's UJ-235A and sony's BC-5640H.

which would be more reliable/better, not sure, i could use some input

the internal drive isn't really sata. It's using usb. Laptop drives all suck.

the internal drive isn't really sata. It's using usb. Laptop drives all suck.

not following you, the connection is SATA. are you saying it's a sata end on the drive side and usb bus connection to the mainboard ? don't see why laptop mainboards would be designed that way, especially with a recent model laptop ....

I also found that an odd statement as I've been building laptops for a few years now and I've never had an internal laptop drive that connects through USB, they were either laptop IDE or Sata.

I've been using the Sony drive recently and so far had no issues with them, although I still wouldn't rate it as good as a Desktop drive

Adbear, thanks for ur input. personally, i chose laptop for my home pc, so unless i pack it all up, sell it .... i would only then get a desktop.

in the meantime, seeing that the laptop serves me well enough and integrates nicely into my home theater setup, my only choices are internal, slim, slot loaders of which there are fewer than tray loaders.

so if the BC-5640H has served you well without fail so far, perhaps i should consider it over the panny UJ-235A. i don't really care for bd burners right now as i've abandoned making disc copies and putting my media directly onto my hdd for playback.

My Sony Vaio, for example, has a Matshita (god I hate those drives) internal drive. It's in reality connected via USB. Even in device manager you can see it shows up as a USB device. So maybe not ALL of the laptop optical drives are like that, but, we've seen quite a few that are. I have no idea if it's some sata to usb bridge or what, but, it definitely shows up as a USB device in Dev Mgr.

why do you hate those drives ? i've had some experience with panny laptop drives and they aren't that bad ... obviously slim laptop drives aren't as bullet-proof as desktop drives are, but they still work ok.

i would still pick the sony over the panny being sony has better reputation with optical drives than panasonic, but LG is also good. too bad LG doesn't make a slim slot-loader for laptops, i would get one.

Back