• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

issue with being able to burn Blu-Ray using keep protection

The problem with Nero is that it insists on burning with spare areas which means even if you use it to do a disc to disc copy where it creates it's own image on the hardrive then burns that back it then comes up and says the destination disc is to small even though you are using the same brand of discs etc to make a second copy.
Oh and I completely agree with what SamuriHL was saying earlier. Imgburn doesn't allow you to do a direct disc to disc copy from one drive to another without making an image onto the harddrive. My method rebuilds the file structure, although I've never had the method I use fail to play back on anything so far.

The problem with Nero is that it insists on burning with spare areas which means even if you use it to do a disc to disc copy where it creates it's own image on the hardrive then burns that back it then comes up and says the destination disc is to small even though you are using the same brand of discs etc to make a second copy.

Oh, ugh. That sucks. So, moral of the story is this:

1) Mount protected ISO
2) Use ImgBurn to create ISO from the mounted ISO with AnyDVD enabled for the mounted drive
3) Use ImgBurn to burn newly created ISO
4) Delete newly created ISO

Done. Cause if you want consistent, useful results, this is the way to go.

Oh and I completely agree with what SamuriHL was saying earlier. Imgburn doesn't allow you to do a direct disc to disc copy from one drive to another without making an image onto the harddrive. My method rebuilds the file structure, although I've never had the method I use fail to play back on anything so far.

I've never heard of it failing, either, but, I want to eliminate any differences in his workflow to get it as close to the original as possible. Creating a new unprotected, temporary ISO should solve all the problems. ImgBurn always creates compliant UDF 2.50 structures for me, so, I don't know what's going on with his player not liking it. shrug. This method will either work, or will show that there's another issue somewhere in the chain.

Thanks adbear; if my primary focus was on burning discs, I would certainly use you method. However, samuri is on the same page. I made a weighted decision for this as the way to go…eg; best compatibility for when CloneBD arrives.
Thanks samuri; I have to concur that the main problem is with the Panasonic BD-80 Player; more specifically, with a limited compatibility of playback formats.
It is very finicky. Another for instance: media- I had tried a Maxell BD-RE 50 GB being cheaper. While it did burn ok via the unprotected route, it wouldn’t load/play on the pani with the choice need, eg “play video (AVCHD) ; but it would on a Samsung bd player…go figure.
You can see below what happens-
Panasonic BD PLAYER playback results:
no advance to PLAY VIDEO (AVCHD) Screen that it normally would.
In contrast; if burning a saved image that did not have “keep protection” ticked, the player loads with screen displaying “PLAY VIDEO (AVCHD)” ; as well as “PLAY PICURES (JPEG)”. Selecting PLAY VIDEO ( AVCHD) loads the full image structure, as desired. This holds true for imgburn using“write image file to disc” - therefore no issues if it’s an unprotected image.

Since this is not a player forum, therefore of topic; I would ask only on what would be relevant to what works on the present hardware/software.
Like you; I can really only trust what’s backed up on hard drives, and really only use bd-re 50 gig necessary for most movie sizes, and then only rarely. But being 10 times the price of the current bd-r 25 gig and with the eventual arrival of cloneBD, very soon I hope…
- then sticking with what I have that will work; and erring on the safe side with settings and media will suffice.
Any advice on a bd player that’s compatibility friendly would be nice. After much due diligence; I picked the pani because I wanted the most detailed picture playback, especially with a pani 65” plasma. Changing bd players is on the back, back burner for now; but considering the cost of bd-re, the priority is being bumped up.

So for absolute clarity on settings that will do an image playback on the pani with the usable result of: “Selecting PLAY VIDEO ( AVCHD)”-
1 It will necessitate reripping an image with “keep protection” via rip to image” but this time WITHOUT “keep protection” ticked and saved.
2 Then with it mounted in VCD, and anydvd DISABLED, I open Imgburn and select movie [it’s now an unprotected image in VCD], from there select
“write image file to disc” in imgburn-and that’s it; done… (verify optional, of course but doable when anydvd is disabled)
This should assure playback in any BD player.
Some confusion about this posting however-
Samuri’s post-
1) Mount protected ISO
2) Use ImgBurn to create ISO from the mounted ISO with AnyDVD enabled for the mounted drive
3) Use ImgBurn to burn newly created ISO
4) Delete newly created ISO
Done. Cause if you want consistent, useful results, this is the way to go.

I’m guessing it’s probably the same as saving a new unprotected image on a hard drive-then doing what I had described above… eg the equivalent; but not starting with imgburn. I can’t see that it would be a time saver, or remove steps, but if so please elaborate. I can only confirm that resaving as unprotected and then burning via imgburn is goof proof.
If following your currently described method would be helpful for ruling out issues of any kind and prove useful info for further help for anyone, I am all for doing whatever it takes.

Sticking with the Sony BD-RE or Verbatim looks like the only sure fire safe bet on media at this point in time for the Panasonic player.
A confirmation here is all I would like- after the obscene length on this thread; it’s understandable.
Again thanks to any and all for you input which has all been helpful in one way or another.

I'm going to narrow the focus of my reply to just the issue with your proposed method vs mine.

-It does not matter how you create your unprotected ISO...either with AnyDVD with Keep protection disabled, or, with ImgBurn with AnyDVD running. Makes no difference.
-This part is important, however. You do NOT need to mount the unprotected image. Just burn it straight off the hard drive with ImgBurn. Not sure why you're mounting it, but, that's confusing and unnecessary.
-Finally, here's my recommendation:

1) Since you have a protected image, mount that with VCD
2) Rip a new unprotected image (see above, AnyDVD or ImgBurn...whatever) from the mounted drive
3) Burn the new unprotected ISO image from the hard drive....do not mount it.
4) Once you've verified the burn, delete the new unprotected image to save space.

This should clear up the confusion.

As for BD players, everyone knows what I'm about to say. :D For a stand alone, Oppo is the best. Stick the unprotected ISO image on an external drive, plug it in to the Oppo, play. No burning. :D

I have no issues with my panny. DMP-BD85. It plays my maxell BD-RE SL, Sony BD-RE DL and my verbatim blank DVD+R & BD-R's.

Does it play them if you use ImgBurn's build image or write files/folders?

Plays em just fine in both ways. Direct ISO burn to disc and mount iso > write folders to disc > drag the BDMV & certificate folder in the window and hit burn. No issues whatsoever. But then again my IMGB has been told to automatically correct the UDF etc. There's times i burn a DVD (UDF 1.02) before and after a bd gets burnt

And that's what I'm saying. That SHOULD work. ImgBurn knows how to create a valid UDF 2.50 file structure. Drag the BDMV and Certificate folders into the Build mode or write files/folders option, set a label, and burn. That SHOULD work perfectly. Not sure why it's not in his case. :(

i don't even bother to set a volume label. IMGBurn uses the one from the folder name and fills it in automatically. Works like a charm everytime. Maybe OP is using outdated firmware for the device. Mine is set to auto notify on new firmware and havent receive one for a while so i assume that for the BD-85 atleast thats the latest (don't know if it works on a BD80 too)

I don't quite get why it won't play the write files/folders burns. I wish we could figure it out for him because it'd be so much faster.

I've finally moved this thread out of the AnyDVD HD forum as it's really not an AnyDVD issue. But it's an important thread because it contains an enormous amount of info.

outdated firmware causing it not to recognise some type of disc makeups? Dislike to the blank brands, so much variables

Definitely a possibility. This is why I focus on HTPC's. SO much simpler. :D

I had overlooked the obvious- firmware updates, and I’m behind. I will need for both LG Burner and pani BD Player. I should have installed and tried, then check in Dec 3.
I apologize all over the place for dropping the ball.

If it won't play back bd-re's it should be in the manual though i doubt thats it. My panny plays my maxell BD-RE SL and sony BD-RE DL just fine

Also, after rechecking in imgburn; I had mistakenly said I had issues with Maxell BD-RE, when in fact it was TDK-RE 50BD. The TDK playback is good in the pc LG drive; not in pani player. They load/play in a Samsung player.
It looks like safe brands for media are: sony, maxell, and I assume VERBATIM (but will try verbatim -just got BE-RE DL).

Updated firmware for panisonic BD Player-confirmed successful.

GGW-H20L Firmware: LY05
I had considered a firmware update to LY07
The only reason I would is if it could help with BD media compatibility, since that is all I burn in that drive.
I am reluctant, due to potential damage if the firmware update goes south.
Whats more; I saw this post: “All firmware updates are just to improve burning of CD/DVD...they don't do anything for HD DVD or Blu-ray playback. Just FYI.”
This gives me every reason to skip updating the firmware and error on the safe side.
Could anyone confirm or comment on the best way to go; given my criteria along with the very real potential danger- I’m stuck with a lame (it can drop easy) internet connection to boot.

@ etwannabe

I have same drive as you (LG GGW H20L) However my firmware is Y07 you should only upgrade if you want improve strategy method of writing. It has been six months and I have no problem so far with writing or general operation of the drive.

From Firmware log

------------------
Version History
------------------
YL07
- Write strategy improvement for new BD-R and BD-RE Media

YL05
- Write strategy improvement for new BD-R and BD-RE Media
(BD-R : 24kinds, BD-RE : 4kinds)

YL04
- Addition of write strategy

YL03
- Improved writing quality

YL02
- Improved writing quality

Last edited:
The firmware upgrade definitely helps with burning Blu-ray discs. We did quite a few of these drives back in the day and upgrading to YL07 helped our customers get better Blu-ray performance out of them

I would also recommend updating the firmware as it might have an affect on your issue.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thnx. To update how to’s – any other advice?
Where: LG website
Windows 7- use safe mode; be sure to disable antivirus [only using MS Security essentials].
Please comment on any additional precautions to avoid damage to burner; or you can just humor me that its safe and easy.

Back