• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

issue with being able to burn Blu-Ray using keep protection

thanks roycal on do not tamper while burning,very logical and all else; but following last instructions, see below...
Assorted abortions- desired Task IF: Ripped to Image with Keep Protection THEN: in Imgurn use “Build Mode”. Per anydvd forum directions request.
Why; just for starters it is implied/ therefore assumed that imgburn uses default in its build mode. I may know little but do know bd standard is UDF 2.50 and on looking at the tab for options its default is: File System: ISO9660 + UDF and the UDF Revision: 1.02; both confusingly wrong in my mind.
So off the forms… anydvd and imgburn and global web with no one definitive post I could find that was task specific to -- Task IF: Ripped to Image with Keep Protection THEN: in Imgurn use “Build Mode”—most all were in reference to file and BDMV structure only; but even so, imgburn being interactively showing suggestions this confirmed my thinking at least as to the two above points that would be applicable to both file save and ISO save I would think: if not visible it states; BD Video typically use ‘UDF’ , NOT “ISO9660+UDF as you have selected.

but I went with default by as instructed with the result: one of the only 3 bd-re 50gigs got trashed with default setting I assume by finalizing-- warnings be damned, a full panel of experts can’t be wrong—hmmm, seems so here.
so being completely put off after many many hrs. and a week on this forum to get basic task tutorial, I used ‘UDF’ and revision 2.50 instead of default.
I have not been told what to do one way or the other in this forum and always want the full picture before- Murphys law and all.
As such I do not know what to expect, having only used imgburn in write image file to disc.
Now back to win 7 sp1 throwing up stuff eg usb or cd- just in case chose cd and closed.
Anydvd enabled to remove protection and imgburn reset as above: then pointed imgburn to VCD with protected image from rip to image in anydvd and it would save only allow .img or.ISO as extension [I chose iso] to my doc as apposed to bd drive with bd-re 50gig . this is not like “write image file to disc”, but I went along. I copied to my doc.—so another unexpected step? Not mentioned, in forum-I’m guessing no idea if I’m off base; but follow through being only 23 gig and 5 min going hd to hd.
Then another step obviously needed. I disabled anydvd; opened imgburn and used the “write image file to disc” as I would with unprotected images but no compliance with playback in set top player playback.
My guess: if I had chosen .img instead of .iso extention maybe- but I have no idea what’s going on. Any expert advice that will meet the following criteria:
I suggest what is needed is a software specific tutorial that would include the compete settings for both anydvd and imgburn set up with task oriented choices;
Include complete settings for both per task simple IF / THEN LINKS; including links with pics would be helpful as well.
My criteria is task specific to this thread.
IF Ripped to Image with Keep Protection mount with VCD, THEN how to burn with imgburn. Yes, I have the best option answer of re-
rip image without keep protection-then its easy to just use “write image file to disc”.
I did request a simpler shorter way. If the build way is clarified, preferably with pics/screen shots, but at least explained so as what I can expect to see in the imgburn build process including basic logic to the settings when needed eg allow nothing that can be misconstrued or assumed[that proved fatal]; I would like to know what to do. Simply= forwarded is forearmed…I had no warnings doing this.

I've been using the same 3 DL BD-RE's for 4 years and have never had any issues with letting them finalise. I always found if you didn't finalise the discs they wouldn't play back properly on set top players. I also have a few SL BD-RE's that we use for testing new editing systems every day and the software always finalises those discs and they've been through literally hundreds of writes with finalising.

You can burn from a virtual disc to a real disc in Imgburn. You mount the image in VCD then in Imgburn just choose 'Write files folders to disc' and drag over the folders from the virtual drive into Imgburn. It will then burn from the mounted image onto the physical disc. If you are using a protected ISO then you need to make sure AnyDVD HD is running so as to remove protection when it burns to disc.

You can burn from a virtual disc to a real disc in Imgburn. You mount the image in VCD then in Imgburn just choose 'Write files folders to disc' and drag over the folders from the virtual drive into Imgburn. It will then burn from the mounted image onto the physical disc. If you are using a protected ISO then you need to make sure AnyDVD HD is running so as to remove protection when it burns to disc.
BINGO- how this could get so misconstrued or unclear from the getgo baffles me-that was the original simple question here.
for my part; I had yet to see "write files and folders to disc" as a viable choice when using "rip to image"- nor did I ask because, in my mind at least, files and folders implied they were ripped as files vs rip to image.
Since your link for doing so pertained only to files: logically, it would not apply to ISO when using "rip to image".
Would you please confirm one more time that:
'Write files folders to disc' will be the correct imgburn setting for "rip to image" rips.
My question on verify has been addressed in detail [thanks], and I’ll assume I could use it or not as desired; no response on verify needed unless clarification is required.
How is it that choosing "build mode" in imgburn got thrown in as the selected preference for the answer to this question?

BINGO- how this could get so misconstrued or unclear from the getgo baffles me-that was the original simple question here.
for my part; I had yet to see "write files and folders to disc" as a viable choice when using "rip to image"- nor did I ask because, in my mind at least, files and folders implied they were ripped as files vs rip to image.
Since your link for doing so pertained only to files: logically, it would not apply to ISO when using "rip to image".
Would you please confirm one more time that:
'Write files folders to disc' will be the correct imgburn setting for "rip to image" rips.
My question on verify has been addressed in detail [thanks], and I’ll assume I could use it or not as desired; no response on verify needed unless clarification is required.
How is it that choosing "build mode" in imgburn got thrown in as the selected preference for the answer to this question?

Write files/folders to disc is the same as build mode. And as I explained in painful detail before, it is NOT the same as burning an ISO created using the Rip to image function when the Keep protection checkbox is NOT checked. It builds a new file structure on the disc. Using UDF 2.50 is correct when doing it this way. And the likelihood is, you'll never have a problem or even notice a difference between burning an ISO ripped without protection vs building a new file structure from a mounted, protected ISO. But, there is a subtle difference between the two which is why I pointed it out to you before. One keeps the original file structure with the protection removed (burning an ISO that does NOT have the Keep protection checkbox checked) and the other builds a new file structure using the files/folders. I hope this clears up the difference. It's not a big deal as it should work either way, but, I wanted to make sure you understood that they are NOT the same thing. That's all.

I think I get it from the comments-
“ImgBurn will create a new UDF file structure with the files and you're good to go.” And “the other builds a new file structure using the files/folders”
I think it’s sunk in now.
The only BD structure that is compliant to use in a stand alone BD player has to be in the form of file structure which is as described by adbears tutorial-eg-
Then chose 'Rip Video DVD to Harddisk' with the following options ticked
Enable Blu-ray Support
Remove BD+ protection
Prohibited User Operations
Disable BD-Live
Remove Blu-ray region code

Once it's finished ripping check the folder structure by adding in the following folders (even if they are empty)

BDMV
-----AUXDATA
-----BACKUP
------------BDJO
------------CLIPINF
------------JAR
------------PLAYLIST
-----BDJO
-----CLIPINF
-----JAR
-----META
-----PLAYLIST
-----STREAM
CERTIFICATE
In essence; this is the structure [“file” structure] required to play in a bd player-that is what is being applied simply by choosing “write files folders to disc” in imgburn.
When it’s a protected image, Anydvd will need to be enabled with “Enable Blu-ray Support” as the minimum default setting, and the other options would also be applied to the finalized burned disc, if desired.
If true, this is a monster difference and explains everything clearly. I will be able to:
1- save as rip to image with keep protection for future ConeBD.
2- and use imgburn as described as the simplest way to burn a BD compliant disc for a BD player.
I have no desire to complicate further, but if any further clarifications are in order; please don’t hesitate, and a simple yer good to go would be great.

Backup folder inside Certificate folder is not needed if you are creating an empty Certificate folder to comply with the Blu-ray structure. It should be noted though that my guide was for making Compliant Blu-ray structures for Playback with PowerDVD and is not necessarily needed for settop players (although it won't do any harm)

Sorry-no go on bd player playback. So far, only successful if rip to image is not ticked to keep protection. That’s with the same BD-RE and player using imgburn; write image file to disc. I haven’t re-ripped as non-protected, as I know that always works; but still would like to avoid the hassle.
Here is a complete report:
OPTIONS TAB before burn were at: MODE1/2048 ; UDF ; UDF Revision: 2.50 -
with only Recurse Subdirectories ticked.
source: CRAZY STUPID LOVE .iso dragged from hdd VCD.

pc drive properties reported UDF and same used space as VCD size. eg - 17 gigs.
panasonic bd player report: when loaded: “bd-re menu” [instead of loading movie]/PLAY is saying “Nothing Recorded” / push top menu=stop/player default screen when player is on.
Just to be sure we are still on the same page- VCD/keep protection ticked when saved to rip to image/anydvd enabled with default settings/imgburn-'Write files folders to disc'-done.
I followed the directions below exactly; but imgburn did throw up a prompt asking if I was sure [just the one file} and asked if wanted to change to write mode vs build? What’s up with that?>
You can burn from a virtual disc to a real disc in Imgburn.
1 You mount the image in VCD then:
2 If you are using a protected ISO then you need to make sure AnyDVD HD is running so as to remove protection when it burns to disc.
3 in Imgburn just choose 'Write files folders to disc' and drag over the folders from the virtual drive into Imgburn. It will then burn from the mounted image onto the physical disc.

Here is final Imgburn report:
I 17:19:21 Source File File System(s): UDF (2.50)
I 17:19:21 Destination Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L YL05 (H:) (ATA)
I 17:19:21 Destination Media Type: BD-RE (Disc ID: MEI-T01-001)
I 17:19:21 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 2x
I 17:19:21 Destination Media Sectors: 23,652,352
I 17:19:21 Write Mode: BD
I 17:19:21 Write Type: DAO
I 17:19:22 Write Speed: MAX
I 17:19:22 BD-RE FastWrite: No
I 17:19:22 Link Size: Auto
I 17:19:22 Lock Volume: Yes
I 17:19:22 Test Mode: No
I 17:19:22 OPC: No
I 17:19:22 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 17:19:22 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 8,991 KB/s (2x)
I 17:19:22 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)
I 17:19:23 Writing LeadIn...
I 17:19:50 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 8939711)
I 17:19:50 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 8939711)
W 17:44:07 Device Removal Detected!
W 17:44:07 The device list will be refreshed at the next available opportunity.
I 18:39:33 Synchronising Cache...
I 18:39:34 Exporting Graph Data...
I 18:39:34 Graph Data File: C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_GGW-H20L_YL05_TUESDAY-NOVEMBER-29-2011_5-19_PM_MEI-T01-001_MAX.ibg
I 18:39:34 Export Successfully Completed!
I 18:39:34 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 01:20:12
I 18:39:34 Average Write Rate: 3,738 KB/s (0.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 4,433 KB/s (1.0x)
--Any thoughts?

you mean you burn iso's with the protection intact and expect them to play on a standalone?

you mean you burn iso's with the protection intact and expect them to play on a standalone?

Oh god, NO! You obviously didn't read through this entire thread. This is a very complex issue we're helping him with. We're way beyond that question...

@etwannabe

So now you understand why I pointed out the subtle difference between write files/folders to disc vs keeping the original UDF file structure from the original disc. Your stand alone doesn't appear to like the UDF file structure that ImgBurn created from the files/folders of your mounted, protected image. That seems odd to me, but, definitely possible.

Does anyone know if CloneCD will do a blu-ray burn using the copy function? What I'm thinking is to try using CloneCD on the mounted ISO and use the copy disc to disc function and see if that works.

@Samu: oh i did read it and kept coming back but couldnt understand half of it ^^. About cloneCD, i think one of the devs can't remember if it was james or peer said that CloneCD can create ISO's of blu-rays but can't burn em back to disc as it doesnt know how to burn em or something. Don't think it matters if it's mounted or a direct iso burn, afaik cloneCD will refuse if i remember correctly.

Yea, this is a complex thread. I don't expect most people to follow it. :)

As for CloneCD, darn, that would be an elegant solution. ImgBurn doesn't have a disc to disc copy function. That's pretty much what's needed...to be able to do a copy from the mounted protected image with AnyDVD running (so that it's unprotected in realtime). It's basically the same as ripping it as a new image to the hard drive except that it's burning it to a disc. Nero? As much as I dislike what that's become, it might have that capability?

Imgburn does have a disk to disk copy. Adbear outlined that a couple of messages up. I was confused about that for awhile too.

The thing that makes this thread complicated is the many ways to achieve the same goal, but so far, etwannabe has not been successful with the easiest way that should work. So let's not give up on that just yet ;)

No, it does not. The method adbear outlined is the same one I've been talking about and is not the same as a disc copy function. It creates a new udf file structure from the files/folders on the disc. That is not the same as removing the protection from the original image.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

It's a "hot topic" because the difference between building a new image and writing the original image with protection removed could potentially be the difference between a working or non-working disc. Building a new image SHOULD work. It's clearly not in his case.

@Samu: i think pretty much any suite that can do a direct "drive to drive" copy can do what ya want, but wasnt it you who said that using nero is a bad thing (for blu-rays)? Something to do with nero having a higher risc to error out on the borders?

No, it wasn't me, but, I would believe that. I used to be a huge Nero supporter. But, they've become far too bloated lately which is a shame. It used to be my goto burning app. Now I use ImgBurn for all my burning needs. But since it doesn't do direct disc to disc copying, it doesn't work for this process. Build mode, as mentioned before, is not the same thing as doing a bit for bit copy. That would be desirable for anyone who saves protected images and decides they want to burn them later down the road. You'd be able to mount the protected image with AnyDVD running, and then use the disc to disc copy function of whatever program to burn directly from the mounted image drive to your blank disc. Best of all worlds IMO.

EDIT: Oh, seriously, Nero????

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nbl-free.php

That's their free burning thing. What a pain to get it, though. And I don't know if it does what is needed here. With a BD-RE there's no harm in trying it.

Last edited:
Nero was my first choice too back from v5-7. After that it's become bloatware. Now its like this

Data burn > imgburn
dvd burn > imgburn
blu-ray burn > imgburn
mp3 cd > itunes
standard cd > itunes
1:1 copy > cloneCD (except for blu-rays ofc)

I had Nero 8 I think was the last version I bought and used. And even though I bought that one I hardly ever used it. Nero 6 was my favorite version. I skipped 7. Such is life. Hopefully etwannabe will find what he needs....and that is a program that allows blu-ray disc to disc copies. There's no worry about a data underrun here as it's not any different than burning a straight ISO off the hard drive....except that it's simply mounted in this case.

Back