• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Intel HDCP Master Key Leaked!

ivanX

Translator (ru)
HDCP 'master key' supposedly released, unlocks HDTV copy protection permanently

Just as the MPAA is preparing to offer movies to customers at home while they're still in theaters by limiting playback to DRM-protected digital outputs only, the HDCP protocol they rely on may have been cracked wide open. All devices that support HDCP, like Blu-ray players, set-top boxes and displays with HDMI inputs, have their own set of keys to encrypt and decrypt protected data and if keys for a particular device are compromised, they can be revoked by content released in the future which will then refuse to play. Now, posts have been floating around on Twitter about a supposed "master key" which renders that protection unusable since it allows anyone to create their own source and sink keys.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/14/hdcp-master-key-supposedly-released-unlocks-hdtv-copy-protect/

I wonder if having this "master" key will help Slysoft in any way...;)

This is what the makers of recording devices needed. Think of a Hauppauge HD PVR with HDMI input and passthrough. That would absolutely rock IMO. I don't think it helps SlySoft at all as HDCP is already defeated by AnyDVD anyway.

HDCP Master Key Leaked, Copy Protection Defeated?

Word on the street today is that the so-called 'Master Key' to HDCP has been leaked. HDCP is a the copy protection that ensures the uncompressed digital output of devices like Blu-Ray players remain encrypted unless played on an approved HDCP compliant device. If this pans out, that HD stream could be captured quite easily.

All the set top boxes and HDMI-port equipped screens use special encrypt/decrypt keys that are specific to that device. This was seen as the strength of HDCP. If a device is compromised, future content could revoke those keys, making any attempts at copying difficult. If the master key is available, capture devices could be built that could record any uncompressed stream.

Even if this leak is the real deal, it's going to be an underground strategy. The DMCA bans the cracking of copy protection. You won't be picking up a universal HDCP capture device at the store. What's your guess? Is it real?

source article

The DMCA bans the cracking of copy protection. You won't be picking up a universal HDCP capture device at the store.]

Not so sure. I remember years ago seeing a product in Compusa (a little box like thingy) that you connected between your vcr and monitor to remove the macrovision protection. Not sure the politics that came in to play to get that product to market, but it would be proof that somehow those products do find their way to the market place.

Generally, in my opinion, this is a non event as AnyDVD already makes HDCP a non issue. This just provides another way of making the digital signal available for recording. To me, the biggest threat right now to making backups of my movies is this Cinavia sound marking technology, and cracking HDCP doesn't help in that regard at all.

Article: HDCP Master Key Confirmed; Blu-Ray Has Been Cracked

"The leaked HDCP master key protecting millions of Blu-ray discs and devices that was posted to the Web this week has been confirmed as legitimate, Intel representatives said late Thursday.

The disclosure means, in effect, that all Blu-ray discs can now be unlocked and copied..."

So, what will they do now? HDCP2? :D

That's just HDCP, not AACS.

AACS hardware keys are still protected.

AACS software player keys are what is compromised. Since discs with them (all so far) can be copied, HDCP can simply be switched off. No need for the HDCP keys.

I would like to hear that the AACS hardware keys have been broken or become known. This would insure that a disc in the future that might be playable via hardware only (not on a PC) can still be copied.

That's just HDCP, not AACS.

AACS hardware keys are still protected.
Really? :rolleyes:

AACS software player keys are what is compromised. Since discs with them (all so far) can be copied, HDCP can simply be switched off. No need for the HDCP keys.

I would like to hear that the AACS hardware keys have been broken or become known. This would insure that a disc in the future that might be playable via hardware only (not on a PC) can still be copied.
"Hardware" keys won't do you any good on a PC drive. And the AACS license agreements ensures that all AACS protected content will play on a PC, too.

"Hardware" keys won't do you any good on a PC drive. And the AACS license agreements ensures that all AACS protected content will play on a PC, too.

What difference does it make if you have the title key? At that point it can be decrypted anyway. Since AACS also has key recokation, any compromised hardware keys would get revoked in the next AACS anyway. I think the theory being if you had enough AACS player keys you could somehow discern the "master key" as they did with HDCP. I'm not sure the same theory applies here or not with AACS.

James -

This story appears legitimate. The HDCP code and instructions for circumvention appear on

http://pastebin.com/kqD56TmU

I'm insufficiently technosavvy to run this. I like my monitor (Acer AL1717) which is not HDCP compliant, which is the principal reason for my purchasing a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD. This strikes me as another opportunity for SlySoft - create an inexpensive package for HDCP non-compliant systems.

nepenthe

Last edited:
That's just it. There's nothing to "run". I think a LOT of people are going to misinterpret this into thinking you just stick this code on your computer somewhere and you're good to go. That is NOT how this works. That master key allows you to create a key pair that can't be revoked. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. You need silicon to really take advantage of it in some kind of capturing device. It's not some "master code" to eliminate HDCP. The media is doing a crappy job reporting this.

SamuriHL -

Thanks for the clarification. Copyright law is another topic which regularly suffers from poor reporting. SlySoft forum members will note the sensationalism regarding HDCP encryption circumvention - would you be willing to expand your post and more thoroughly discuss the irresponsible press claims for this code?

nepenthe

Just look at the OP on this. (And no offense meant at all to hdcp444 as you're just repeating the media "highlights"). The claims that "all Blu-ray discs can now be unlocked and copied..." is sensational at best. As I said, it's not some magical code that breaks all encryption. It allows someone to manufacture a recording device that can capture streams that are HDCP protected on an HDMI connection. This is AWESOME, but, it's not a direct assault on HDCP. And it certainly helps absolutely NO ONE right now. What *I'm* excited about has nothing to do with blu-rays. I'd like to see a device like the HD PVR that uses HDMI instead of component to capture video from a cable box. Of course this could be used to capture streams from a blu-ray player, as well. But, until that kind of device is created, this is all just a theory.

there's already been devices that can strip the HDCP inbetween devices using a box for several years, i'm pretty sure they are banned in most countries but there's 2 that i know of atleast. I guess the releasing of that code will just mean more companies will make these devices.

The only real use for this imo is if you have a bluray with a new BD+ or MKB protection that anydvd can't handle you could use your bluray player's hdmi output connected to an expensive pci-e card with hdmi inputs and copy the movie onto your pc. This is hardly much of a benefit as hdmi pci-e cards cost a fortune.

The other more obvious use would be for users with a non-hdcp compliant monitor/tv connected to a bluray player or a pc but again there's boxes that have been able to do this for years.

Right, the problem with those is typically they get banned/revoked. They're saying with the master key that they should be able to create key pairs that can't be revoked. This should prove interesting.

I've merged the threads on this and kept it in general forum as this isn't AnyDVD related at all.

HDCP master key released !

Looks like it's the end of the HDCP:
http://pastebin.com/kqD56TmU

Of course same as with CSS they will develop something new, but same as with CSS they will most probably just use old master key - too many devices use it right now.

Back