• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Intel HDCP Master Key Leaked!

hdcp isnt aacs, this is just the transmission encryption between the various parts of the setup, such as monitor/tv, video card, audio, etc. it makes possible an inline recorder.

Paul Kocher interview (Cryptography Research)

hajj_3 -
SamuriHL -

Please click this link to the CNET article by Elinor Mills:

http://bit.ly/bws7M5

I wonder if she read your posts before writing the article for CNET?

nepenthe

A well written, intelligent article on the subject. Impressive, most impressive. She's got her facts correct and the analysis is pretty spot on.

That's just it. There's nothing to "run". I think a LOT of people are going to misinterpret this into thinking you just stick this code on your computer somewhere and you're good to go. That is NOT how this works. That master key allows you to create a key pair that can't be revoked. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. You need silicon to really take advantage of it in some kind of capturing device. It's not some "master code" to eliminate HDCP. The media is doing a crappy job reporting this.

Just look at the OP on this. (And no offense meant at all to hdcp444 as you're just repeating the media "highlights"). The claims that "all Blu-ray media can now be unlocked and copied..." is sensational at best. As I said, it's not some magical code that breaks all encryption. It allows someone to manufacture a recording device that can capture streams that are HDCP protected on an HDMI connection. This is AWESOME, but, it's not a direct assault on HDCP. And it certainly helps absolutely NO ONE right now. What *I'm* excited about has nothing to do with blu-rays. I'd like to see a device like the HD PVR that uses HDMI instead of component to capture video from a cable box. Of course this could be used to capture streams from a blu-ray player, as well. But, until that kind of device is created, this is all just a theory.

I really want something like this...
i.e. a HDMI digital capture device that can strip HDCP, and resist key revocations.

But I mainly want it for these reasons.
Not so I can be some kind of pirate monster :D

Anyone know if silicon with the master key in it's firmware is around now?

Last edited:
I really want something like this...
i.e. a HDMI digital capture device that can strip HDCP, and resist key revocations.

But I mainly want it for these reasons.
Not so I can be some kind of pirate monster :D

Anyone know if silicon with the master key in it's firmware is around now?

Not that I've seen out there. I haven't looked too hard, though, so, I could have missed it if a device has been released. Intel seems pretty keen on suing anyone who even tries it. That's a pretty big disincentive to go through the development process (costly) and then get sued (even more costly). So, I don't think we're going to see any kind of device using this any time soon, unfortunately.

Yea, I've read that article. I don't disagree that it COULD happen, but, I believe that in the US at least, any device that tried it will get sued out of existence. These things could pop up in China and other places that are a little less stringent about protecting IP. What would be neat is if someone released a device that didn't support this but then after a while release a "firmware update" for the device to unlock this functionality. Sort of a trojan horse. :D

yeah i hear yah,

There seems to be some hdmi capture cards around too, that are hdcp licensed, but haven't quite implimented hdcp properly, and so are allowing for capture even from hdcp sources, until you upgrade to their latest drivers etc :)

Back