• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question I don't quite get it?

fleggett

As a highly content lifelong user of AnyDVD, I'm thinking of purchasing AnyStream, but I don't entirely get how the app interfaces with the Prime Video content for which you have download privileges.

I realize that, when you download stuff on Prime Video, the only (company-approved) method is via a real sketchy app on the Microsoft Store called "Prime Video for Windows". The latest feedback for the app is Godawful, with all sorts of people saying that it crashes constantly, along with other complaints. And, from my understanding, when it does work, it saves the video in some funky proprietary format so that it can only be played in the PVfW app, making the whole endeavour rather dubious.

So, how does AnyStream figure into all this when I want to download something? Is there a download button you hit in AnyStream that just automagically saves the video to your local machine? I'm not trying to delve into the inner-workings of the program, I'd just like to know what I'll be looking at if/when I buy it. I've looked over the screenshots on the product page, but it just isn't clicking with me.

I suppose I could just take advantage of the trial window and figure things out on my own, but I don't like installing things onto this machine unless I'm pretty positive I'm going to use it long-term.

I know this is a laughably newbie question, so please go easy on me.

About the trial, you can use it for free for 21 days and make some test downloads. It is really no issue if you would then uninstall it again, there are no toolbars or any adware.

As for Amz, it shows the website as you can see it in the browser an if it can see a video on the site, there is a green downloadables button at the top, as you should be able to see with the product screenshots. You click on it and a new windows opens. There you can see all videos it detected. If it is a movie, there will be one entry. For seasons, you will see all episodes. You then select the episode or movie and can set the resolution, audio language and so on. Then click download and it will go for it.
Not sure if there is the queue for the trial, but it is not for the basic version. If you want to buy it and use the queue, then you need to buy AS Plus.

One thing I forgot, you can go into the settings and set stuff like codec (AVC/HEVC, VBR/CBR), file path (including subfolders if you need), and region (if you want to download from the german Amz for example).

Also it is recommend to buy or rent things in the normal browser instead of AS. If you did anyways and the item doesn't get recognized or you already had the site open before purchasing it in the browser, then press F5 to reload or restart AS.
Same applies for VPNs, if you should use one you have to change region, close AS, start VPN and then start AS again so it can load into the other site. F5 doesn't work here as it would only try to reload the current region that was open.

I *think* you can only watch content that was downloaded via the "Prime for Windows" app using the "Prime for Windows app" itself. Also, the content that is available is only that content that is available at the time you use the app.

If you download with AnyStream, the result is an .mp4 file that you can replay how you like, when you like and for as long as you like.

[edit: typo]

Last edited:
As a highly content lifelong user of AnyDVD, I'm thinking of purchasing AnyStream, but I don't entirely get how the app interfaces with the Prime Video content for which you have download privileges.

I realize that, when you download stuff on Prime Video, the only (company-approved) method is via a real sketchy app on the Microsoft Store called "Prime Video for Windows". The latest feedback for the app is Godawful, with all sorts of people saying that it crashes constantly, along with other complaints. And, from my understanding, when it does work, it saves the video in some funky proprietary format so that it can only be played in the PVfW app, making the whole endeavour rather dubious.

So, how does AnyStream figure into all this when I want to download something? Is there a download button you hit in AnyStream that just automagically saves the video to your local machine? I'm not trying to delve into the inner-workings of the program, I'd just like to know what I'll be looking at if/when I buy it. I've looked over the screenshots on the product page, but it just isn't clicking with me.

I suppose I could just take advantage of the trial window and figure things out on my own, but I don't like installing things onto this machine unless I'm pretty positive I'm going to use it long-term.

There’s no reason to fear anything. Try it if you like it buy it. We hope you like it. Have a pleasant day.

Is there a download button you hit in AnyStream that just automagically saves the video to your local machine?
YUP. you can select video resolution, video codec (if selection is available), audio resolution, subtitle language and thats it. more or less.

Anystream is not the same app as Prime Video. The Plus version also supports Netflix, Disney+, Paramount+, Hulu, HBO Max, Rakuten TV and more providers will be added. If you try it I bet you will like it. The people on this forum will help you with any problems you might have and the support is Excellent. Have a great Day!!!😃😃😃

The program is pretty amazing. And with the support you'll get from the forum, it's even better. I would honestly be surprised if you didn't like it. Once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Maybe that's just me...

Okay, I've started the trial and now better understand. DeepSpace was clued-in to my confusion, as I didn't know if AS injected its own code into the host website, like Gab's Dissenter extension (anyone remember that?), or if the app replaced the browser and you interacted with the website through it. As DeepSpace described, I see now that it's the latter (the screenshots now make sense) and have just started my first download.

Can AS get around geoblocked stuff if you change the region, even if you're not running a vpn? Probably a dumb question that isn't a deal killer, I'm just being nosy and trying to justify paying $140 for the service.

One "gotcha" moment was when I was still logged into Amazon when I first ran the app, which caused an error when I tried to sign in via AS (AS didn't think I was logged in). I logged out via Firefox, then logged back in via AS and that fixed things.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll be making a purchase decision after I play around with it for a bit.

Can AS get around geoblocked stuff if you change the region, even if you're not running a vpn?
No. In order to get around geoblocking, you need a VPN. After that, change the region in AS to the region you want to go, close it, start the VPN and activate it. When it is running, you can start AS again. You might notice that it now takes longer to load the site as the traffic is now running across the VPN that is slower in some cases. Login into your account again and then you should be able to download.
Please not you might to purchase a second Prime membership. For example, I have a german Prime account and it was neccessary to create a new account and purchase Prime again for the JP Amz. It works just fine, but you might not get it from the first look at it. And you might need a credit card.

I use Surfshark and Amz hasn't recognized it as a VPN until now and I already renewed my Prime membership for JP just fine. But I have only downloaded things that are included into Prime until now, haven't tried to buy or rent a movie, episode or channel.

if you speak only for jp or in general
Only for JP (and US). For DE, I already purchased and rented movies, seasons and channels. (Again, would've never done that (much) without the existence of AS).

I'm wondering every time if it works for rented movies in prime
So you mean in general? I am surprised that you don't know it, it has been mentioned several times already. You can download everything you have access to, including any bought or rent movies, episodes and channels. With the limitations of being unable to download 4k of course. But that applies for everything on Amz.
And livestreams, if there are any.

Please remember that AnyStream does not support VPNs. You may be successful and you may not be successful. If you use a VPN it’s up to you if they block your IP it’s not an AnyStream issue.

Please remember that AnyStream does not support VPNs.
I think repeating this line every time gets confusing. You (the devs) don't provide support for VPN related issues, yes. But AS itself works with (supports) VPNs just fine. May I ask you to rephrase that to something like
"We don't provide support for VPN related issues, it might work and it might fail. If the provider can detect that you use a VPN, try another one."

Edit: Because only stating that AS does not support VPNs sounds just wrong to me.

So you mean in general? I am surprised that you don't know it, it has been mentioned several times already.
I know for channels because I use them, I certaintly read the info about rented movies but as I never tried I think I forgot about it.
Thanks for your answer.

I stand by what I said. If it works for you that’s great if it doesn’t work for you that’s not an AnyStream issue.. you use a VPN at your own risk. If it does not work, we cannot help you. I hope that’s clear enough.

I stand by what I said. If it works for you that’s great if it doesn’t work for you that’s not an AnyStream issue.. you use a VPN at your own risk. If it does not work, we cannot help you. I hope that’s clear enough.
Yes, it is. I am only talking about the sound of "AS does not support VPNs". For me, that sentence always sounds as if VPNs would not work with AS at all, which is not true.
That's why I think "We don't provide support for VPN related issues" is a better phrasing.

Yes, it is. I am only talking about the sound of "AS does not support VPNs". For me, that sentence always sounds as if VPNs would not work with AS at all, which is not true.
That's why I think "We don't provide support for VPN related issues" is a better phrasing.
Perhaps it would be better if you looked up the word "support". You should say, it may or may not work with a VPN, and if it doesn't AnyStream will not support it. The word " support" does not mean works with or does not work with. If I said AnyStream supports VPNs, that would mean if it didn't work we would provide support so that it did. You are reading the word "support in the wrong context. I said AnyStream does not support VPNs, and that's exactly what I
meant. AnyStream does not support VPNs. We will not be able to help if your VPN IP gets blocked. So we do not support it. I think we have chatted about this enough, let's move on.

Perhaps it would be better if you looked up the word "support". You should say, it may or may not work with a VPN, and if it doesn't AnyStream will not support it. The word " support" does not mean works with or does not work with. If I said AnyStream supports VPNs, that would mean if it didn't work we would provide support so that it did. You are reading the word "support in the wrong context. I said AnyStream does not support VPNs, and that's exactly what I
meant. AnyStream does not support VPNs. We will not be able to help if your VPN IP gets blocked. So we do not support it. I think we have chatted about this enough, let's move on.
I have a question. Does Anystream support using a proxy? I have never tried it but I have seen posts about it and it is in the settings. If someone has problems using a proxy would you give them support for that?

Back