• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hunger Games - Blu-ray - Protection not removed

Hunger Games - Won't copy with new Beta

I downloaded the new beta version (7.1) and still can't seem to copy Hunger Games. It freezes some where around 50%. I am running Windows Vista and using CloneDVD. Any suggestions??

I am just not a techy, so if you need more details please let me know! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

(I am in the U.S. - not sure what Region??? Live in Florida)

Why that studio chooses to do that is really insane. Do they really think they are going to get more people to buy the disc by doing that crap.

If the studios didn't believe people would purchase the full movie by crippling rental copies, they wouldn't do it. After all, it costs more money to create multiple layouts.

I have seen rental copies that have the full version menu setup and when you select a full version option you get a nag screen to buy. As annoying as implicitly accusing owners of legally purchased discs they are thieves and pirates by nagging them with FBI warning screens.

Studios do stupid things (stupid to you or me) because they are in the business to make money. Making entertaining movies and TV shows is not major part of the thinking. If not enough people buy tickets or view a TV show, no matter how good the content is, the studios consider it a failure.

I downloaded the new beta version (7.1) and still can't seem to copy Hunger Games. It freezes some where around 50%. I am running Windows Vista and using CloneDVD. Any suggestions??

I am just not a techy, so if you need more details please let me know! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

(I am in the U.S. - not sure what Region??? Live in Florida)

An AnyDVD log file would be a start, and explaining in more detail the problem you are having such as what the exact error you are getting.

Don't know how to create a log file? PLEASE read this.

There has been multiple comments in this thread concerning which playlist is the correct playlist to use with suggestions from multiple sources. AnyDVD tells you the playlist you should be using for this movie in the drive status tab. Is AnyDVD not reporting the correct playlist?

There has been multiple comments in this thread concerning which playlist is the correct playlist to use with suggestions from multiple sources. AnyDVD tells you the playlist you should be using for this movie in the drive status tab. Is AnyDVD not reporting the correct playlist?
The problem is multi-faceted: (a) The playlist numbers are different for different masters (rental edition, regular edition, Best Buy & Target exclusives, etc.) (b) Many if not most discs have multiple, identical "correct" playlists. (c) Many third-party tools display only ONE of a series of identical playlists, usually the lowest-numbered one. (d) The one "correct" playlist AnyDVD HD reports is often NOT the one displayed by the third-party tool. And I wouldn't be surprised if this was all intentional on Lionsgate's & Sony DADC's parts...

Last edited:
The problem is multi-faceted: (a) The playlist numbers are different for different masters (rental edition, regular edition, Best Buy & Target exclusives, etc.) (b) Many if not most discs have multiple, identical "correct" playlists. (c) Many third-party tools display only ONE of a series of identical playlists, usually the lowest-numbered one. (d) The one "correct" playlist AnyDVD HD reports is often NOT the one displayed by the third-party tool. And I wouldn't be surprised if this was all intentional on Lionsgate's & Sony DADC's parts...

Makes sense to me now. Thank you for the clarification.

I'd say an attempt to defeat the pirates. A lame attempt, but something Sony has shown they are willing to do.

An AnyDVD log file would be a start, and explaining in more detail the problem you are having such as what the exact error you are getting.

Don't know how to create a log file? PLEASE read this.

See attached log. Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.0.7.1_Info_E_The Hunger Games.zip
    299.6 KB · Views: 21
I'd say an attempt to defeat the pirates. A lame attempt, but something Sony has shown they are willing to do.
That's kinda what I was hinting at; but IMO it deters fair-use copying more than actual pirates or their "customers" (i.e., those who upload & download torrents). :bang:

good copy

I finally got a good copy of the Hunger games BD. Ironically when I first compressed it down using the latest version of Bd rebuilder and anydvdhd it defaulted to playlist 17. Hearing about the playlist problem I goggled it and came up with playlist 665 which I used,needless to say it was the wrong one. After doing further research the rental US version 17 was the correct playlist after all, perfect copy. Trust BD builder.

I finally got a good copy of the Hunger games BD. Ironically when I first compressed it down using the latest version of Bd rebuilder and anydvdhd it defaulted to playlist 17. Hearing about the playlist problem I goggled it and came up with playlist 665 which I used,needless to say it was the wrong one. After doing further research the rental US version 17 was the correct playlist after all, perfect copy. Trust BD builder.
Trust AnyDVD's status window.

any dvd status window

What does that tell u I guess I missed it. There r different disks,retail,rental etc. From what I read there r different playlist's and no way of knowing except trial and error

Last edited:
What does that tell u I guess I missed it. There r different disks,retail,rental etc. From what I read there r different playlist's and no way of knowing except trial and error

It tells you exactly what you need:
Code:
Note: automatic detection of region code not possible with this disc.
[b][COLOR="Red"]Java BD protection good playlists: 565[/COLOR][/b]
Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!
BD-Live deactivated!
Sony structural BD-J protection removed!

*This disc is not Hunger Games but you get the idea.

However, a fix is needed for the times where AnyDVD gives a playlist can't be backed up with the usual ripping tools like ClownBD, BDRebuilder, or Bluray Extractor.

Man, after reading thru this thread I am still confused as to how to get a good backup of Hunger Games to disc. I have been in the process of replacing the boot drive in my desktop with an SSD so I had moved much of the data from my current boot drive to a 2nd drive, and in the process BD Rebuilder and ImgBurn got a little twisted around. Anyway, I ended up burning 3 blu-rays of Hunger Games to disc before I came to this thread to see if anything was up. This is a U.S. rental copy of Hunger Games. I figured at first it was just my programs not working properly. I used AnyDVDHD to Rip Video DVD to Harddisk (full disc), then used BD Rebuilder to shrink it, then ImgBurn to burn to disc. Like others none of the blu-rays play in any of my players...it recognizes the discs as Hunger Games but I only get the blank screen. I just tried to play a disc in my computer drive, hit default inside AnyDVD, but it still wouldn't play with PowerDVD. I just tried to disable AnyDVD and try to play it but it seems the drive is locked up and I can't even eject the disc. Will have to restart after I post this I guess.

So, is a way around this to do a movie only backup with BD Rebuilder instead of a full backup? Or to Rip To Image with AnyDVD then try and, oh wait, will BD Rebuilder shrink an ISO image? Haven't even tried that. Yeah, I am confused what you guys are doing to get this blu-ray burned to disc. Sorry! Can anyone clarify? Thx.

I have been trying to backup Hunger Games BD and have wasted several discs, none are good copies (just get blank screen when played). So I just got a Rewritable BD to do some more experimenting. With AnyDVDHD version 7.0.8.2 and BD Rebuilder I still can not get a good copy. I noticed the information in this thread about 'playlists' so when I opened the AnyDVDHD window, I looked and it does say "Java BD protection good playlists: 665". How do I use that information to get a good copy? I usually use AnyDVDHD to rip to my harddrive, then BD Rebuilder to shrink it to the size of the BD-25, then Image Burn to burn the BD.

My PC doesn't have a graphics card capable of playing the BD files, so there's no way I can test them until I burn them to BD and try it in a BD player. I've tried all the discs in multiple players of different manufacturers - none have ever worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

However, a fix is needed for the times where AnyDVD gives a playlist can't be backed up with the usual ripping tools like ClownBD, BDRebuilder, or Bluray Extractor.

The playlist AnyDVD gives you is the playlist a retail Blu-ray player would play. If "the tools" cannot back it up, "the tools" need an update. ;)

The playlist AnyDVD gives you is the playlist a retail Blu-ray player would play. If "the tools" cannot back it up, "the tools" need an update. ;)
I believe the problem is there are multiple, identical "good" playlists on the disc. Many of "the tools", when confronted with identical playlists, display only the lowest-numbered of those lists and hide the rest. Meanwhile, the one "good" playlist number AnyDVD HD displays is not the lowest-numbered, thus it is not visible in "the tools"; further analysis of the disc with other tools is necessary to find a playlist that is both visible in "the tools" and identical to the one AnyDVD HD says is "good".

If that were the only consideration, I might agree with you that "the tools" are the problem. However, it's also possible that Sony DADC is using this approach to confirm how SlySoft is detecting the "good" playlist. I can't be certain myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if AnyDVD HD gets that playlist from disc menus just like retail players do. It's entirely possible that Sony DADC did this not only to confound "the tools", but also to confirm how AnyDVD HD gets it so that future menus can be rewritten to hide it from AnyDVD HD (but not retail players).

For that reason, I believe the correct response is for the AnyDVD HD status window to display all playlists that are identical to the "good" one it detects, in either numerical or random order. That not only avoids reliance on how "the tools" deal with identical playlists, but also obfuscates exactly which of the identical playlists AnyDVD HD detected, thus making it harder for Sony DADC to take countermeasures.

(Edit: Let's not forget that there's multiple versions of the disc out there, and each has a different "good" playlist--i.e., rental vs. retail and even different retail pressings. That confounds sharing of the "good" playlist number on boards like this.)

Last edited:
I believe the problem is there are multiple, identical "good" playlists on the disc. Many of "the tools", when confronted with identical playlists, display only the lowest-numbered of those lists and hide the rest. Meanwhile, the one "good" playlist number AnyDVD HD displays is not the lowest-numbered, thus it is not visible in "the tools"; further analysis of the disc with other tools is necessary to find a playlist that is both visible in "the tools" and identical to the one AnyDVD HD says is "good".

If that were the only consideration, I might agree with you that "the tools" are the problem. However, it's also possible that Sony DADC is using this approach to confirm how SlySoft is detecting the "good" playlist. I can't be certain myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if AnyDVD HD gets that playlist from disc menus just like retail players do. It's entirely possible that Sony DADC did this not only to confound "the tools", but also to confirm how AnyDVD HD gets it so that future menus can be rewritten to hide it from AnyDVD HD (but not retail players).

For that reason, I believe the correct response is for the AnyDVD HD status window to display all playlists that are identical to the "good" one it detects, in either numerical or random order. That not only avoids reliance on how "the tools" deal with identical playlists, but also obfuscates exactly which of the identical playlists AnyDVD HD detected, thus making it harder for Sony DADC to take countermeasures.
AnyDVD only detects the one and only correct playlist, which is the one a player would play. It doesn't know and doesn't care which playlists are identical.

However, to help "the tools" I'll add a simple interface where "the tools" can ask AnyDVD for the correct playlist. It will be very easy for them to add, it will be just an entry in the registry, which they can read if they choose to do so. While at it, I'll some other useful information, like the disc title, type, id, if possible (hi, Brian).
But this requires, that "the tools" must operate on the original disc (or a protected iso) with AnyDVD running.

Back