• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to handle default tracks?

HPulstar

Hi!

I'm using CloneBD to convert my BD into mkv files. I keep 2 audio tracks (english and my mother language) and 2 subtitle tracks (english and my mother language). Ok, no problem.
But, I'd like to have by default my mother language audio track and no subtitle track.

And I don't know how to set these default settings for my MKVs with CloneBD. I have to rely on MKVToolnix and a command line to do that.

So, am I missing some configuration in ConeBD?

Thank you for your help.

When you choose the settings for subtitles just hit the radio button and clear them all.

Thank you for your response, but, unless I've misunderstood you, I want subtitle tracks in the MKV file.
I just don't want to have a subtitle track displayed by default (that is a setting in the MKV file). I think this part was not clear in my previous message.

It seems that by default, the first selected audio track and subtitle track are set as the default tracks.

But no luck, English is often the first track and not my mother language track.

To sum up a little, in my MKV, I want:
  • 2 audio tracks (English and French)
    • This is OK.
  • 2 subtitle tracks (English and French)
    • This is OK too.
  • French audio track by default when playing
    • Missed: it's the first selected audio track of the BD that CloneBD set as the default audio track.
  • No subtitles by default when playing
    • Missed: the first selected subtitle track of the BD is the default track set by CloneBD, and this track is displayed by any player I've test (Kodi, VLC, MediaPlayer Classic,...).
And to obtain a file like this I need to use MKVToolnix on top of cloneBD. I'd prefer to have only one tool.

Yes, all players let me choose the settings, but I need to keep it simple and straightforward for my wife and children: play and voilà, it's french audio without subtitles.

So, am I missing some configuration in CloneBD?

I don't believe this is possible at the moment with MKV output. You have to manually use a different tool to add/edit the flags.
This will most likely be an added feature in a future release.

If needed you could configure a player like MPC-HC (with LAV Filters) to automatically give preference to French audio tracks and have no subtitles selected by default. You can also do this in Kodi (probably in VLC too, but I've not tried it)

Any advice which software that is? If you don't want to be harassed you could always PM me. I promise I won't PM back (haha). These functions are desperately needed in CloneBD.

1.0.8.3 FTW!

That's great!

Now, I'm wondering if CloneBD would be able to detect forced subtitles on a BD...

I explain: sometimes when audio track is french, we have some subtitles if the video shows some writings in a foreign language or when someone speaks in some other not translated language. So these subtitles are displayed when needed and not all the time.

Can CloneBD give this type of tips?

The changelog for 1.0.8.3 says: - new: MKV - supports setting default audio/subtitle track for playback.
I don't see anything different at all in the UI unless I'm blind. So how do we use this feature?

It's on the 'Target' page. To the right of 'Audio Channels' and 'Subtitle' there's a drop down box that lets you choose the default subtitle.
default.jpg

Any advice which software that is? If you don't want to be harassed you could always PM me. I promise I won't PM back (haha). These functions are desperately needed in CloneBD.
Handbrake is a good option, but it won't allow original video stream as output. I use CloneBD for getting the right streams/subs to a lossless file. If I want to encode I would use Handbrake because Handbrake allow me to nitty gritty tweak encoding options. If I want BD-copies and everything else, I'd use CloneBD as Handbrake only supports .mp4 and .mkv as output files.

I just did them with CloneBD and then used MKVToolNix. I just made a note to re-process them once CloneBD eventually has the subtitle features we'd like. I don't like to deal with the complexity of re-encoding outside of converting VC1 to h264, even if it's free I have a hard time being satisfied with the results.

Tonight I tried the new CloneBD. In 2012 (2009) the foreign subtitle parts now appear as part of the default English subtitle track. Before it was either the foreign forced subtitles or the English subtitles, not both. Unless I wanted to change the subtitle settings every time I watched it.

I'll be testing The Martian's Chinese (?) bit and maybe Star Wars 1-6 tomorrow just to see if they're suddenly more friendly with this change. Anyway thanks for updating your software Elby, good update.

Last edited:
The conclusion is, if you select both Subtitle Track 1 English and Subtitle Track 6 English (Foreign dialogue subs) you can only select English as the default subtitle track which defaults to Subtitle Track 1. Not very useful in the scheme of things.

Until forced Foreign subtitles are dealt with properly like other programs, like hardcoding etc it would be better to select Track 6 as default, then we can change to Track 1 manually which includes that dialogue too if we want the subs on.

Last edited:
How would one know that Subtitle Track 6 is subtitle for foreign languages spoken on an english audio track? There are no labels that indicate this, and nothing in any instructions. Perhaps a little more documentation on how to operate the software?

Very simple. You open the preview player and select through all the subs for your language if its a forced you will know it. To make a sub appear on the screen click to the right of "language" and a white text box should appear and then the subs on the screen. You might want to try on a disc or iso of a movie you know has forced and go to a scene with them. Once you do this you will see what I am talking about. There's more improvement's planned for it just no time frame stated.

Thanks for the insight. Also, thank you for clarifying the term "forced subtitles", I did not know how to search for them because I did not know the term.

No problem glad to help out around here. And not just increasing my post count. There's quite a few knowledgeable users on this forum who I learned from as well that will be more than willing to help anyone with issue's or questions . Just ask.

Last edited:
Back