• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How do you obtain the AACS Keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Bit confused how AnyDVD even obtains "AACS" keys?

Is it some trade secret...sorry if this was not meant to be asked...or allowed....just wondering

Also..what is the average time to rip a 50GB BluRay?

For me the speed is 26.47 MB/s and 22 minutes remain for BATMAN VS SUPERMAN 3D.

Is it bad to save to a network NAS when ripping the ISO or ill-advised?

Last edited:
It doesn't, AACS keys are used to either encrypt or decrypt the disc. AnyDVD as i understand it has it's own set of decryption keys, there's some sort of information exchange to see if the key's are up to date enough to decrypt but that's about it.

As far as an average, there's no fixed number. There's too many variables. CPU, hard drive, optical drive, difficulty of encryption,... It differs from system to system. 45min isn't anything special.

Are these AACS keys protected by the movie companies? Just fascinates me. Or is it some sort of mathematical number like a Hash? etc which can just be generated.

Moving to general chat as the AnyDVD HD section is reserved for disc related problems.

AACS key's are provided by the identically named organisation to studios that use them to encrypt disc, and hard- and software players for proper playback. They definitely don't provide, any to software developers such as redfox to decrypt them. You might as well not have any protection on the disc at all then. Which is why, on a rare occasion if there's a new AACS version out, that it takes a new anydvd version to have it's own set of decryption keys updated to work with the new AACS version.

The internet is a wonderful source for such information ^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

Makes sense but still not sure how AnyDVD gets access to these keys. Guessing strong connections? :D

The devs could tell you how they get the keys, but then they'd have to make you "disappear." ;)

All I do know, and all I care to know, is the devs reverse engineer the keys somehow. The exact details I might like to know but realize it is a trade secret.

Thank goodness for the devs. This is why I supported them and got the lifetime key.

I hope they never surrender to these media pieces of shits. We have the right to backup our movies legally. I didn't just buy all my blu-rays just to have them go EXTINCT on me after several uses.

I told you, they don't get any keys at all. AnyDVD has it's own set of keys by the devs. They didn't get any.

That's not entirely true. Every decryption key that encodes the disc is unique to each released disc (it's also called the "media key). The way AACS encryption works is that the media key (the decryption key) is encoded on the disc dozens or hundreds of times (once for each authorised player) and can be decoded using a "player key" that in turn gives the player the decryption key to then decrypt the disc. It isn't possible to decrypt the disc in any other way because brute-force would take something like a billion years for a very fast computer. Of course if you had 1 billion very fast computers then it would only take 1 year. Redfox has a way to decrypt the media keys - but AFAIK the software doesn't do that, rather it downloads the media keys from the internet and then uses them to decrypt the disc (this way preventing others from working out how Redfox decrypts the media key). MakeMKV does it the same way AFAIK.

Although companies claim their disc keys can't be hacked from players, that isn't at all true. I think Slysoft hacked a bunch of players and know many of the player keys. They know if they release them all the players have their keys revoked and firmware updated, and therefore that's why they don't put them in the program. There was some rumour a very long time ago that the player keys are not true 128-bit, and once you know that a certain part of the keys always followed a pattern then the key strength was more like 60-bit or something like that, which is quite easily hacked, and if that is the case then Redfox would in fact know all the player keys, however many there are.

That's not entirely true. Every decryption key that encodes the disc is unique to each released disc (it's also called the "media key). The way AACS encryption works is that the media key (the decryption key) is encoded on the disc dozens or hundreds of times (once for each authorised player) and can be decoded using a "player key" that in turn gives the player the decryption key to then decrypt the disc. It isn't possible to decrypt the disc in any other way because brute-force would take something like a billion years for a very fast computer. Of course if you had 1 billion very fast computers then it would only take 1 year. Redfox has a way to decrypt the media keys - but AFAIK the software doesn't do that, rather it downloads the media keys from the internet and then uses them to decrypt the disc (this way preventing others from working out how Redfox decrypts the media key). MakeMKV does it the same way AFAIK.

Although companies claim their disc keys can't be hacked from players, that isn't at all true. I think Slysoft hacked a bunch of players and know many of the player keys. They know if they release them all the players have their keys revoked and firmware updated, and therefore that's why they don't put them in the program. There was some rumour a very long time ago that the player keys are not true 128-bit, and once you know that a certain part of the keys always followed a pattern then the key strength was more like 60-bit or something like that, which is quite easily hacked, and if that is the case then Redfox would in fact know all the player keys, however many there are.
The nice thing is, RedFox will never reveal here or elsewhere exactly how they get those AACS keys, otherwise the AACS would find a way to block AnyDVD from working.

Also please note that people in the Movie/TV industry keeps an eye out on this Forum, so it stands to reason why RedFox never lets out their varied secrets.

All wrong, they don't use any hacked keys. I've personally seen it happen to me where a new aacs version was on a disc that anydvd didn't support yet. Result: anydvd's host certificate got revoked by the disc and decryption failed. Submitted logfile and a beta version later the issue was resolved. Anydvd uses its own set of keys.

Well, I don't think so. Look at the way all other programs work: makemkv, dvdfab, and of course libaacs (which doesn't hack anything, it relies on media keys supplied from a database created using dvdfab). All of them, including AnyDVD, rely on a database of media keys. All programs can create a new media key if they are sent the encrypted media keys from the disc. Or they cycle through the player keys and create a list of possible media keys, and then know which key is correct once a successful decryption is made. However if you know two different player keys there's no need to do that since you just need to find the two matching keys. AnyDVD uses it's own set of media keys which are decrypted from the player key set located on every disc. They may have a way of doing this that does not require knowing player keys, however my guess is that they do know player keys and probably know all of them by finding an encryption pattern that linked them all together.

Well, I don't think so. Look at the way all other programs work: makemkv, dvdfab, and of course libaacs (which doesn't hack anything, it relies on media keys supplied from a database created using dvdfab). All of them, including AnyDVD, rely on a database of media keys. All programs can create a new media key if they are sent the encrypted media keys from the disc. Or they cycle through the player keys and create a list of possible media keys, and then know which key is correct once a successful decryption is made. However if you know two different player keys there's no need to do that since you just need to find the two matching keys. AnyDVD uses it's own set of media keys which are decrypted from the player key set located on every disc. They may have a way of doing this that does not require knowing player keys, however my guess is that they do know player keys and probably know all of them by finding an encryption pattern that linked them all together.
This is not an appropriate conversation. Thank you for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back