• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How did Elaborate Bytes greatly speed up CloneBD transcoding times?

gameowl

First of all Elaborate Bytes, you guys/girls have made CloneBD an amazing product. Before transcoding a bluray would take me up to 7 and a half hours most of the time. I have an AMD FX-8350 Eight Core CPU at 4GHz per core, a Western Digital mechanical next-generation 1TB black hard drive i transcode the movies on and 8GB DDR3 RAM. Now with this new CloneBD update movies only take 2 hours and 15 minutes to transcode. I'm amazed. Did they redo there code for the Transcoder to use more of the CPU code instruction set more effiecently now? How did they speed it up so much?

Also I read future CPU's from AMD and Intel will have the HVEC.265 codec instructions right on the CPU's to speed up times copying blurays. Is there any plans for Elaborate Bytes to store there transcoding data when using CloneBD to put that in your available video RAM on your video card and use nVidia CUDA cores to speed up transcoding even more and if there is plans for this when will it be out to update ClonBD for to do this? I'm just so happy it's so much faster now!

Taken from another thread regarding the speed improvements:

A couple of bottle necks were identified and trashed. And yes, the libav optimization was not ideal due to bugs in gcc optimization (there was a choice of either slow processing or crashes). An updated version of gcc fixed that problem.
Also parallelization was optimized, some directx-shortcomings worked around and several non-libav routines rewitten with SIMD instructions.

I don't know too much about PC hardware, but to me your speeds seem slow for the specs of your CPU.
I have a Pentium G620 (2.6GHz dual core/2 threads) CPU that took about 6 hours to encode a BD with the older CloneBD (haven't tried the new version).
Over 7 hours on the old CloneBD version seems very high for what sounds like a fairly capable CPU :confused:

and about the H265 part, there are likely no plans yet to support that for 2 reasons

1) that's an illegal code for standard blu-ray. It's only supported in UHD BD
2) there are no retail discs available yet on that bd-xl format

and even if they did, just updating CLBD isn't enough.

1) it doesn't even support CUDA atm
2) your drivers and GFX card cuda cores would have to support h265 processing, the CLBD engine would have nothing to do with it.

I don't know too much about PC hardware, but to me your speeds seem slow for the specs of your CPU.

I agree, that does sound a bit low for that thing.
The performance data panel in the new version should help find the bottle neck.
See if CloneBD is using the full CPU load (though that is unlikely, 8 cores are difficult to max out with Blu-ray AVC).

CloneBD 1.0.5.6 when transcoding most of the time the CPU uses 60% for CloneBD, not best not the worst. But I'm using my CPU for other programs also. Also it would be much faster transcoding, but I'm using on all my hard drives Full Disk Encryption software, so those sectors for the CloneBD program and transcoded data in real-time have to be decrypted in read mode, as write mode encrypts it to the hard drive. I'm using AES-NI so that's about 30% encrypt/decrypt speed increase. Also question, it says in 1.0.5.6 CloneBD change log it fixed deadlock in the player. Is that the CloneBD movie preview player fixed or for set top HDTV bluray players fixed as many had there bluray disc only play up to the trailers and the main movie menu wouldn't load? Just curious.

CloneBD 1.0.5.6 when transcoding most of the time the CPU uses 60% for CloneBD, not best not the worst. But I'm using my CPU for other programs also. Also it would be much faster transcoding, but I'm using on all my hard drives Full Disk Encryption software, so those sectors for the CloneBD program and transcoded data in real-time have to be decrypted in read mode, as write mode encrypts it to the hard drive. I'm using AES-NI so that's about 30% encrypt/decrypt speed increase. Also question, it says in 1.0.5.6 CloneBD change log it fixed deadlock in the player. Is that the CloneBD movie preview player fixed or for set top HDTV bluray players fixed as many had there bluray disc only play up to the trailers and the main movie menu wouldn't load? Just curious.
Where did you get 1.0.5.6?

on top of the forum, where you got 1055 and every other new version :)

But I'm using my CPU for other programs also. Also it would be much faster transcoding, but I'm using on all my hard drives Full Disk Encryption software

Ah, that explains it then :)

Also question, it says in 1.0.5.6 CloneBD change log it fixed deadlock in the player. Is that the CloneBD movie preview player fixed or for set top HDTV bluray players fixed as many had there bluray disc only play up to the trailers and the main movie menu wouldn't load? Just curious.

It not 100% clear, I know the CloneBD preview player did have an issue in 1.0.5.5, so I think it might be a fix for that.

Back