• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How can I enable taking screen shots

Afaik I dont think its a flag issue for anydvd. I think its built into the protection on the disc. I use VLC player and it hascaptured all my shots at whatever res. I choose. I have noticed with the newest VLC dl I started getting some captures blacked out. ie. on The Hobbit appendicies, I can capture everything except when they show thier blueprints or drawings of middle earth.

I your providing captures for friends, just email them or add VLC to your usb. That would be my suggestion until you find a comfortable work around or until it is able to be included in a anydvd releaseif applicable.

@Roxy --- 1st, you've never said which DVD Player you are using to take snapshots, I can only assume from the captures I've shown it must be Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, since AnyDVDHD must be enabled. 2nd, the built in capture for Power DVD, Windows Media Player, MP Classic, and VLC all work with or without AnyDVDHD enabled (see the above captures.) They all provide a good capture just at low resolution (maybe THAT is built into the player or disc.) 3rd, if your goal is to JUST take the best capture (not play the movie) why not use a better capture Program such as Gadwin Print screen or others, etc.,etc.,etc. at a higher resolution.

@ZoWillie --- VLC has some very good features but the resolution still is poor quality.
Screen Shot 03-01-14 at 04.35 PM.jpg VLC capture with Gadwin Print Screen in Photoshop showing original capture at 853x480 at 72 resolution.
If you say you can choose the resolution capture in VLC please point out how, it would be a big plus for capturing.
Screen Shot 03-01-14 at 05.07 PM.jpg Just for fun the Gadwin print screen capture of the capture shows 1920 x 1080 at 96 resolution.

They all provide a good capture just at low resolution (maybe THAT is built into the player or disc.)

Most of the built in screen captures will be the resolution of the source video size, not the resolution output of your screen.
So if you have a Blu-ray source file the resolution will be 1920 x 1080, if you have a NTSC DVD source file the screenshot resolution will be lower (720 x 480).

If you say you can choose the resolution capture in VLC please point out how, it would be a big plus for capturing.

You can manually enter a resolution for screen captures in VLC by navigating to the following -
Tools > Preferences > Choose 'All' under 'Show settings' (bottom left of preferences) > Now choose Video > Then you will see 'Video Snapshot Width' & 'Video Snapshot height' > Enter the required resolution and click save.

@Roxy --- 1st, you've never said which DVD Player you are using to take snapshots, I can only assume from the captures I've shown it must be Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, since AnyDVDHD must be enabled. 2nd, the built in capture for Power DVD, Windows Media Player, MP Classic, and VLC all work with or without AnyDVDHD enabled (see the above captures.) They all provide a good capture just at low resolution (maybe THAT is built into the player or disc.) 3rd, if your goal is to JUST take the best capture (not play the movie) why not use a better capture Program such as Gadwin Print screen or others, etc.,etc.,etc. at a higher resolution.

@ZoWillie --- VLC has some very good features but the resolution still is poor quality.
View attachment 24208 VLC capture with Gadwin Print Screen in Photoshop showing original capture at 853x480 at 72 resolution.
View attachment 24209 Just for fun the Gadwin print screen capture of the capture shows 1920 x 1080 at 96 resolution.

I use VLC as my DVD player, not sure why you wouldn't get good res. My captures at 1920x1080 or at Original settings come out wonderful. Viewed both on my monitors and my 1080p TV. My captures are always set for Original Source and I get 24bit depth, 1920x1080 with a dpi of anywhere from 72 to 360 depending on the video source. I haven't changed any settings in VLC with the exception of saving my captures as .PNG'S and saving to my folder and name of choice. I don't use arc soft I do use PowerDVD also, but I'm unable to capture any screens with it, with anyDVDHD enabled or not, which is why I switched to VLC. I'm hoping the newest DL alleviates my Hobbit problem and that they aren't buying into the money grubbiness of the movie industry.

@gibyadahof:

You didn't get the intention of this thread. The question of being able to take screen shots should NOT be a matter of the player software. Please understand that - no matter which player you use - you can always take a screen shot by just pressing the [PRINT SCRN] key on your keyboard. But, apparently, you cannot do this if there is a copy protection set on certain disk files prohibiting this action. Again: This is not a question of the player but a question of source material.

The ability to take screen shots or prohibiting these is a copy protection - something that AnyDVD is supposed to circumvent.

When creating ISO files, AnyDVD removes different kinds of copy protections. Many of those copy protections deal with animated clips. However, AnyDVD, too, should permanently remove the "take stills" copy protection when ripping a file to ISO.

The ability to take screen shots or prohibiting these is a copy protection - something that AnyDVD is supposed to circumvent.
When creating ISO files, AnyDVD removes different kinds of copy protections. Many of those copy protections deal with animated clips. However, AnyDVD, too, should permanently remove the "take stills" copy protection when ripping a file to ISO.

There is no 'take stills' copy protection. It just depends on the player you use. Most likely its down to the way commercial software players (TMT/PDVD) have to load a Blu-ray Disc (protected or unprotected) that prevents 'print screen' from capturing the actual screens (overlay perhaps?).

This has nothing to do with any protection or AnyDVD - Try opening the actual stream file (.m2ts) in PDVD/TMT and 'Print Screen' will work just fine.

I can take screenshots with zero programs with AnyDVD disabled.
I can take screenshots with multiple programs with AnyDVD enabled.

The way I see it AnyDVD is doing it's job fine.

Last edited:
There is no 'take stills' copy protection. It just depends on the player you use.

There IS. Why do you think you can't take screens without anydvd active? Oh wait, a protection because of copyright. It's specified in the BD standard and it's the player

There IS. Why do you think you can't take screens without anydvd active? Oh wait, a protection because of copyright. It's specified in the BD standard and it's the player

Perhaps I was unclear - I'm talking about once AnyDVD has decrypted the disc, there is then no "take still' protection present on the disc at all.
Obviously there is protection without AnyDVD active, I'm not questioning that.

I can take screenshots with zero programs with AnyDVD disabled.

Last edited:
@gibyadahof:

You didn't get the intention of this thread. The question of being able to take screen shots should NOT be a matter of the player software. Please understand that - no matter which player you use - you can always take a screen shot by just pressing the [PRINT SCRN] key on your keyboard. But, apparently, you cannot do this if there is a copy protection set on certain disk files prohibiting this action. Again: This is not a question of the player but a question of source material.

Please, I got what it is you think AnyDVD is doing or not doing. I just don't think it is needs a useless feature if it is already doing it's job.
Screen Shot 03-02-14 at 12.48 PM.jpg you keep arguing that it is not the player, then why in this screen shot are you telling them to send a signal to THE PLAYER.
Also if the ability to take or not take screen shots is a copy protection, just use you unprotected copy in your player with AnyDVD enabled. It seems your making this much harder than it should be.:bang:

Please, I got what it is you think AnyDVD is doing or not doing. I just don't think it is needs a useless feature if it is already doing it's job.
View attachment 24216 you keep arguing that it is not the player, then why in this screen shot are you telling them to send a signal to THE PLAYER.
Also if the ability to take or not take screen shots is a copy protection, just use you unprotected copy in your player with AnyDVD enabled. It seems your making this much harder than it should be.:bang:

@gibyadahof:

Please read my previous post carefully again: Let me repeat: I'm copying some of my Bluray movies to an external drive and I'm sometimes playing them on machines WITHOUT AnyDVD installed. Did this get clear through now?

This IS a copy protection issue. Period. I don't want to discuss this question any further now.

See this thread for details.

@gibyadahof:

Please read my previous post carefully again: Let me repeat: I'm copying some of my Bluray movies to an external drive and I'm sometimes playing them on machines WITHOUT AnyDVD installed. Did this get clear through now?

This IS a copy protection issue. Period. I don't want to discuss this question any further now.

There have been plenty of suggestions here how to get a screen shot, you obviously don't like any alternatives.
ZoWillie's suggestion to add VLC to your external drive should work very well for you. good luck!!!

@gibyadahof:

Roxy, I agree with all the other posters, it's a player issue and not an AnyDVD issue. Screen capture does not always work depending on the software player and the graphics card. It has nothing to do with the copy protection at the AnyDVD level.

Last edited:
Roxy, I agree with all the other posters, it's a player issue and not an AnyDVD issue. Screen capture does not always work depending on the software player and the graphics card. It has nothing to do with the copy protection at the AnyDVD level.
Just to clarify, the sole impact of copy protection on screenshots is that licensed BD players (TMT, PDVD, etc.) must disable it on copy-protected discs; that does NOT mean any player (licensed or unlicensed) must support screen capture. (Edit: HDCP "removal" works the same way; removing copy protection bypasses the BDA mandate, and is usually sufficient for BD playback by licensed players on non-HDCP monitors, but it does not guarantee HDCP won't be enforced by the player. Obviously it does not affect non-BDA HDCP mandates, i.e., iTunes; same for screenshots.) As long as AnyDVD HD is removing copy protection, screen capture is NOT an AnyDVD HD issue.

Last edited:
Just thinking with my keyboard....

I backup/Rip all my DVD/Blu-Ray discs to ISO'S and I never check the box to keep protection. I am able to play my iso's on my other computers that don't have AnyDVDhd installed and I don't have any problems, I'm even able to do screen caps, (via VLC) etc... I do use VLC and/or Power DVD 8 to watch my movies. Maybe its because I use older versions that I don't run into so many of the problems that a lot of other people are having. It has always confused me, because I have yet to even be stymied by cinavia. (knock on wood). If its my ignorance that has blessed me so far, then Hail to the Ignorance! I'm writing this just FYI. I just wonder why there are so many problems happening that sometimes I wonder if I missing something. Have a great day!

I have noticed with the newest VLC dl I started getting some captures blacked out. ie. on The Hobbit appendicies, I can capture everything except when they show thier blueprints or drawings of middle earth.

I just now thought of one more way you may get a screen capture of the hobbit appendices. just a test. I loaded a Harry Potter into ConvertXtoDVD, the video editing program.

Screen Shot 03-06-14 at 02.29 PM.jpg this was taken with Gadwin Printscreen in ConvertXtoDVD. if you have this program or another editing program try giving it a try!!

Perhaps I was unclear - I'm talking about once AnyDVD has decrypted the disc, there is then no "take still' protection present on the disc at all.
Obviously there is protection without AnyDVD active, I'm not questioning that.

Yes, and I'd like to suggest that there shall be a new, additional copy protection option added to AnyDVD, providing for permanently removing the Take Stills protection from the data header in the disk's data stream when ripping a disk to ISO file. So the copied ISO file will run without having AnyDVD installed and taking stills during playback won't be prohibited - without having AnyDVD installed.

Last edited:
Yes, and I'd like to suggest that there shall be a new, additional copy protection option added to AnyDVD, providing for permanently removing the Take Stills protection from the data header in the disk's data stream when ripping a disk to ISO file. So the copied ISO file will run without having AnyDVD installed and taking stills during playback won't be prohibited - without having AnyDVD installed.

If the protection has already been removed from the ISO, then you don't need AnyDVD running or even installed to enable taking screenshots.

Edit: Just to clear this up - some programs (PDVD for example) will prevent screenshots on any Blu-ray structure media (even home made unprotected content).
There is nothing that can be done about this, it's is nothing to do with any additional 'take still' protection that AnyDVD doesn't remove, the player is simply refusing screenshots on that particular format.

You have two options -
1) Use a different player that will allow screenshots on unprotected content (there are lot's)
2) Open the required .m2ts file directly in PDVD, screenshots will then be allowed.

Last edited:
If the protection has already been removed from the ISO, then you don't need AnyDVD running or even installed to enable taking screenshots.

Yes, but that apparently isn't the case - at least with my Harry Potter IV ISO rip, created with AnyDVD 7.*.*.0... (which I did a year ago)

Edit: Just to clear this up - some programs (PDVD for example) will prevent screenshots on any Blu-ray structure media (even home made unprotected content).

From the Hyperlink I've given in one of my previous posts it's apparent that PDVD follows the prohibition flag. So it won't allow for taking screen shots if the data prohibits taking them.

There may be players disregarding that copy protection by themselves, but I believe it's the task of AnyDVD to remove this kind of protection when ripping. The kind of player should not be a determinating item in whether Blu-ray data should perform or not.

I just want to suggest to add an option to AnyDVD to always remove this kind of protection in the data (or to intentionally leave it in the data stream).

(When I say "in the data" then I do because I'd suggest that the removal of prohibition of taking stills will still be in effect while AnyDVD is not running when playing an ISO rip.)

Last edited:
Yes, but that apparently isn't the case - at least with my Harry Potter IV ISO rip, created with AnyDVD 7.*.*.0... (which I did a year ago)

How exactly are you trying to take a screenshot? All my older unprotected rips allow main movie screenshots in multiple programs without AnyDVD running or installed.

There may be players disregarding that copy protection by themselves, but I believe it's the task of AnyDVD to remove this kind of protection when ripping.

Those players aren't disregarding the protection - Because there is no protection left after AnyDVD has removed it (that's why you can take screenshots) - If they were disregarding the protection, how come you can't take screenshots on any player without AnyDVD running?

PDVD blocks screenshots on any Blu-ray structure content - It has nothing to do with whether it is protected or not.
Even home made Blu-ray content will be blocked.

No point in me posting about this again, as you seem convinced that AnyDVD has problems with additional protection that doesn't exist.
I suggest you ask PDVD support why they block screenshots on unprotected Blu-ray media, it's there issue, not Slysoft's (good luck getting Cyberlink to fix anything promptly)

From the Hyperlink I've given in one of my previous posts it's apparent that PDVD follows the prohibition flag. So it won't allow for taking screen shots if the data prohibits taking them.

There may be players disregarding that copy protection by themselves, but I believe it's the task of AnyDVD to remove this kind of protection when ripping. The kind of player should not be a determinating item in whether Blu-ray data should perform or not.

I just want to suggest to add an option to AnyDVD to always remove this kind of protection in the data (or to intentionally leave it in the data stream).

(When I say "in the data" then I do because I'd suggest that the removal of prohibition of taking stills will still be in effect while AnyDVD is not running when playing an ISO rip.)
Let me be clear: There is NO SUCH THING as a "prohibition flag" separate from AACS. All commercial BD players are required to block screenshots if AACS is present; CyberLink went the extra mile and blocked them on ALL BD content to keep the BDA happy. NOTHING in the hyperlink you posted says anything different; it's just CyberLink's spin on "we're keeping the BDA happy".

Back