• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Guide for unprotected Blu-ray ISO for PowerDVD

As long as you tell it to remove copy protection when you rip to ISO then the burnt BD-R/RE should work fine. I have about 10 3D movies backed up to DL BD-R and so far they all work in my 3D player

Last edited:
question please help

i have a question. i had to reboot my computer and then had to redownload slysoft software. how do i put put my keys in and get it working again without having to urchase it again. i have to get this done. before i can use it.

What does this have to do with my guide?

Blu Ray ISOs not playing with PDVD

I have just purchased a dell zino hd computer and am running xbmc. I have downloaded and installed anydvd/anydvdhd/virtual clone drive; the latest versions as of 3/1/11 of all three programs. PDVD 9.5 (I'm pretty certain is the version) came preinstalled on my zino. To date, I have ripped/copied my entire dvd collection to my hard drive and without fail, all play flawlessly. So I figured I'd move on to my blu rays. IT'S BEEN A TOTAL DISASTER AND VERY FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST!!!

I am able to rip the blu ray to the hdd (Spiderman 3) and it appears that it is mounting properly but when I try to play it, I get an error message stating the format is unsupported by the drive (which is my VCD).

Then I came across this guide and thought I had found the answers to all of my questions. I am going to try this technique but had a couple of questions first:

1. Do I need to use imageburn if I am not backing up my ISOs and just want to be able to play them from the hdd?

2. Is the guide in the first post outdated like I've seen in a rather recent post?

Thanks

I've never updated it because it was written for PDVD 7.3, although I still use the same method myself to make ISO's for playback in PDVD 9 and 10 and they seem to work fine. You still need Imgburn to make the ISO from the folders.
I suspect the problem is going to be the pre-installed version of PDVD as the Dell ones have been known to cause issues in the past

Last edited:
Doh!

OK, well , I read every post in this thread and my seat puckered when chevron stated that post number 1 was way out dated! I have been using that method for the last few weeks to make backups of at least a dozen or so discs..

First off, thank you for your effort Adbear, the guide is great. I just have a couple of questions I hope you or some one can answer?

1) Out of all the "Rip Video DVD to Hard disk", that I've done, I have found none that didn't have all the required folders. Has there been a change to AnyDVD HD that filled those folders in for us so we don't have to check any more? In other words " creates a fully compliant disc for us?

2) I Ripped a copy of "The Expendables" and it not only produced a BDMV and CERTIFICATE, but it also produced a folder called (something like this not exactly) 1234567.ZIP Anyway, it was a zip folder? Any suggestions on what to do with it?

3) Where is the best place to buy BD-R DL 50G Blank disc's? So far the best price I've found was a sale Newegg.com ran. I was able to purchase 10 for $71.99 plus free shipping.

The only 2 folders you need for a working blu-ray are the BDMV and certificate folders. All the rest you don't need. Zipfiles etc, are usualy firmware upgrades for players & stuff.

If you rip Video dvd to harddisc anydvd will copy all that you need. Just a note double layers are pretty expensive. If u use an application like BD-Rebuilder, you can shrink BD50's down to single layer size (wich are considerably cheaper), at virtually no quality loss.

You can buy DL BD-R's on ebay for around £3.50

So, tell me then, do I even need to bother looking inside the BDMV for its sub-folders?

Thanks for the info about Ebay, I could have sworn I looked there in the past and drew zero results when searching for DL BD-R? I did find them there like Adbear stated for about $5.50 each, (3.50 pounds)

One last thing though: Chevron, I've heard you say in the past that it can take 8 hours to re-encode using BD Rebuilder and I'm not sure I want to even mess with the program if it's going to be that kind of a time investment?...

As it stands right now: I get my audio through SPDIF but I want to back up the full HD Audio track for in the future when I upgrade my Receiver. I noticed so with the movies that I've ripped so far that the vast majority are encoded with DTS. So I don't know how that works exactly? if I listen to the DTS signal through SPDIF do I use "core" DTS( looking at Clown BD info) and the rest only through HDMI? or visa versa?, or do I have it wrong entirely? So, all I really want is the ability to

a) record movie in 1920x1080p
b)listen to the soundtrack over SPDIF for the moment
c)Have the Lossless track there for future enjoyment

Any recommendations?

Thank for all you effort!

It used to be necessary to add in the folders otherwise PDVD wouldn't play back the backup, but I think they may have dropped that requirement in later versions of PDVD

Yest it can take upto 8 hours or even more. It all depends on your system and what preferences you use within BDRB. It can also be just 2hours. That being said if you don't use an application like BD-RB or Clown_BD then the only way you'll be able to do backups is 1:1. The fact remains that most discs use double layer discs, and that double layer blanks are considerably more expensive then single layer ones.

Yes its a little time investment but well worth it too.

You can rip it to folder anyway you like, I just find it easier to use Anydvd HD's own option as it's always worked for me.
If you rip it directly to an ISO then you can't put back in the missing folders which then means it's not a compliant unprotected disc and PDVD can come up with 'Unsupported format' and other error messages. The guide is for FULLY COMPLIANT discs

I am using only anydvd to rip.

Can you explain a little more about the missing folders. Does that mean dvd operations, trailers, something else?

So, a copy has to be compliant, even if one only wants the main movie, in order for it to be intact and playable?

I tried another blu-ray last night and that one went differently again. This time, the largest file in the stream directory contains the entire movie and plays in vlc and will know once moved if it will play on my media player, which I suspect it won't.

It's a lot of work just to time shift a freaking HD video for when I have time to watch it.

The missing folders are empty, but older PDVD didn't like it if they were missing.

And s to playing back just the main file that's always had issues depending on what you use to play it back and what codecs are inside the actual file. It's always been a bad way to do it. If you want to get just the main movie then run it through Clown BD

If it seems like to much work then maybe just rent the movies when you have time to watch them, or buy them

Collecting simply isn't an option these days.
That there aren't many good movies anymore and those which are good, it's too easy to just order up the disk and many others for the same price as owning a movie you'll watch once, maybe twice.

And of course, every company out there is struggling to get VOD to everyone which is absurd but might end up being good for the public since it'll mean they have to compete over the same crap.

As for encoding them, life is busy, never know when we'll have time to watch a movie and some we would prefer in HD if it's an option. I prefer not to order up a disk and have it sitting there until I have time. Instead, I'd like to encode it, then can watch it when ever we want then delete. Time shifting.

Hi, i have just two questions for you, (and are a bit OT, but not much): :D

1 -
The only 2 folders you need for a working blu-ray are the BDMV and certificate folders. All the rest you don't need. Zipfiles etc, are usualy firmware upgrades for players & stuff.

Sometimes i burned a reauthored BD in a blank Disk and remains some unitilized space in the disk. I know the folder's structure of a BD Video and i thought:
Is there (in the structure) a neutral position where i can store Data files, such as files that i can access after with my PC, and making sure that the disk should remain a BD video in compliance with the rules of the stand alone BD player, Power DVD etc?

2 - Today still haven't found (or just i don't know) a free program who can help me to reauthor a BD Video with a little and very simple menu, like Movie 1, Movie 2, Extra1, Extra 2, etc.
I ripped my BD "The Wolfman 2010" that contains 2 movie versions and some extras (45 gb), and the BD 50 are still too expensives, so i made 2 BD 25 disks with the 2 movie but not the extras, who still sleeps yet in my hard disc...
I tought i can put the extras in the free space of the reauthored BD, stored like MKV file, so i can access to them by PC.

What do you think about? (Sorry for my english, i am italian..., and sorry for the OT, if you think so)

Best regards.

Johnny

On the BD 50 front, try buying from ebay, they tend to come in at under £3.50 last time I bought some

I must be missing something how can you burn all that to a 25 gig disc. if I follow the instructions you gave I am recreating the entire disc?

This guide is not intended for shrinking discs, as it states it's for fully compliant ISO's to play back in PowerDVD. If you want to shrink the disc to put back out on a SL BD-r then use BD rebuilder (there are already tons of threads about using bd rebuilder on here)

Reading your guide, after allowing AnyDvd HD to scan the DVD you say to
'Then chose 'Rip Video DVD to Harddisk' with the following options ticked'

Is this within AnyDvd HD, because I can't see any options like that?

Thanks

Those options are in the Blu-ray section of AnyDVD HD, Also the guide was written 3.5 years ago when the situation with PowerDVD was different and the options in AnyDVD HD were also different

Back