• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

GameJackal v4.0.0.8 beta

Works, but not perfect

First time in a while that GameJackel worked on my machine. But I get an error about my game being created with a different profile, but it still works!

Part of my prior issues were that I have a ASUS ROG with a 9550 quad processor...

This version of Game Jackal works with Batman Arkham Asylum for me and also with my other Securom games.

However, The Sims 3 still doesn't work. I guess that's one profile map that didn't get fixed.

Just tried redoing Civ3Complete and got :

"The Gamejackal server does not appear to be running. Please contact support.
An exception was raised on the server: Access violation at address 00507B23 in module 'Server.exe'. Read of address 00000014"

There doesn't appear to be a relevant log for this event; is there anything else I should collect?

Chris M

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/gj/SetupGameJackal4008.exe

Release v4.0.0.8 - beta (2009-10-24)
  • Major driver upgrade to fix a number of issues and improve overall performance.
  • Fixed a number of interface crashing issues.
  • Number of fixes to profile maps.
First version since long to work on my PC with sims 2 games... Clean Install. Profiled "sims 2 mansion & garden stuff" and was able to launch the game without cd... Hope it stays this way, I'll have to check tomorrow.

An exception was raised on the server: Access violation at address 00507B23 in module 'Server.exe'. Read of address 00000014"

There doesn't appear to be a relevant log for this event; is there anything else I should collect?

Chris M

It sounds as though GJ is not installed properly on your system. Try uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, and then rebooting again. You may also want to try disabling User Account Control while installing if you're using Vista or Windows 7.

Also, right click on SetupGameJackal4008.exe, and select "run as administrator" when installing (if using Windows 7 or Vista).

Last edited:
I did go a little paranoid on installing this one to start with, using CCleaner between the installs to get rid of any cruft left over from 4.0.0.5.

I've just done as you suggested, uninstalled/rebooted/installed/rebooted and then did a new profile for Civ3Conquests using the existing map within GJ.

Not good, as it essentially ignored the CD, didn't run the game, then happily reported that the profile was complete. Unsurprisingly, said profile didn't do anything to run the game when tested. The log (such as it is) is attached. Open to suggestions...

Chris M

Attachments

• Civilization III - Conquests.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 3
First time in a while that GameJackel worked on my machine. But I get an error about my game being created with a different profile, but it still works!

Part of my prior issues were that I have a ASUS ROG with a 9550 quad processor...

Can you get a screen shot of the error?

Chris M

Does this message appear when you open GJ, or when creating the profile?
Also are you able to save a bug report? FYI there maybe bug report file in the GJ directory called "Manager Bug Report.txt".

I did go a little paranoid on installing this one to start with, using CCleaner between the installs to get rid of any cruft left over from 4.0.0.5.

I've just done as you suggested, uninstalled/rebooted/installed/rebooted and then did a new profile for Civ3Conquests using the existing map within GJ.

Not good, as it essentially ignored the CD, didn't run the game, then happily reported that the profile was complete. Unsurprisingly, said profile didn't do anything to run the game when tested. The log (such as it is) is attached. Open to suggestions...

Chris M

Looking over the log it appear the game may have crashed at start up.
A couple of questions... does the game start when using the CD after installing GJ? (i know it a dumb question... but need to check). And are you able to profile other games successfully?

A couple of questions... does the game start when using the CD after installing GJ? (i know it a dumb question... but need to check).

Yes, it works just fine.

And are you able to profile other games successfully?

Yes and no... Freelancer profiled OK; didn't work to start with but the P&R Wizard updated the profile and all was well. Dungeon Keeper 2 misbehaved as usual and I've yet to put in time to work on it. I'll try more with that one just to see,

Chris M

Aha! DK2 now works; it did take the P&R Wizard about 30 minutes to update the profile but it now works, which is amazing.

Try disabling User Account Control while installing, profiling, and running anything in Game Jackal.

Don't/won't have Vista, so no UAC. Win7 looks like more of the same, so I'll look to Win8 when that rolls round....

The Civ3Conquests profile suggests 'other' as the copy protection used, whilst ProtectionID says "SecuROM Detected - Version 07.11.0009". Running the P&R Wizard to switch to SecuROM results in "Wrong disk inserted" message. Profile timing bar in the P&R Wizard is empty, sectors graph is set to zeroes except for one reading at (13,90k), timing graph is completely empty...

puzzled...

Chris M

Good release. I just tried with Borderlands, and it works great.

Still some problems with timing performance. The Performance wizard shows around 50-75% (however, sector data is always 100%)

Are desktop shortcuts coming back soon? I liked the transparent way Gamejackal worked on 3.x.x.x where I didn't have to open Gamejackal App to launch games.

Persistence pays off and GJ4.0.0.8 DOES work, even for the antique rubbish that I insist on playing...

GJ's succeeded in getting Civ3Conquests to work at last; the key would seem to be the repeated use of the 'Update Profile' option. It does take upwards of 30 minutes per run but after three such attempts the required info for the Civ3 profile has been stored. It took three attempts for DK2 as well, but the result is that it works.

I think I'll leave these profiles alone now.... 8)

Chris M

Are desktop shortcuts coming back soon? I liked the transparent way Gamejackal worked on 3.x.x.x where I didn't have to open Gamejackal App to launch games.

Yes in the next beta (v4.0.0.9)... should be here in a day or 2.

System tray icon not showing in syatem tray

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit (UAC disabled) and the GJ system tray icon isn't showing up in the system tray (no profiles have been created yet), this is with a fresh install of windows and no previous versions of GJ installed, is this a known issue with GJ 4.0.0.8 ?, also, does anyone else have this issue ?.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64, and I'm not too fond of v4 so far. v4.0.0.8 is the first v4 Beta I've tried, and while profiling seems to work okay (as good as v3.2.1.4) the usability really has tanked from v3.x.

1. I don't like the Windows 7 skin. I really liked the v3 "sliding" interface. The Windows 7 skin is too minimalistic, and has far less information/options than the v3 skin.

2. I have to start Game Jackal twice to get the interface to come up. The first start presents the slash screen but nothing happens afterward. I then start it again and the interface starts up.

3. I really miss the System Tray icon. I always used it to launch my profiles because it was quick and easy.

4. There a numerous settings in the Preferences panel that don't work/have no use do to the changes for v4. It looks like that hasn't been updated yet.

I know this is only a Beta, but when compared to v3 things really took a step backwards in terms of usability. I have to assume that v4 isn't quite finished yet, but it seems to be more of an Alpha than a Beta.

Last edited:
Back