• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

GameJackal and GJ & NoCD

It was clear much earlier on, but along the way it turned from a question into a feature request. Clearly Slysoft is aware if a patch made by devs does something to EXE such as fiddles around with protection etc. Recreating a profile means that you need the media and if you don't have the media then you're stuffed as far as GJ is concerned.

well yeah, without having the media, you can't make a profile...thats kind of obvious..

and im sure slysoft only become aware of such 'odd' patches as/when someone mentions that game x,y,z had no protection with patch 1.2.3..

i don't get what you mean by feature request either... nothing's changed regarding gamejackal or the no-cd plugin... they're described perfectly...

if you don't have the original media, you couldn't play the game without having to resort to a cracked exe anyway, so gamejackal would be useless in this scenario.. however, if you do have the original then making a profile should work fine for most of the titles out there ...

Initially, I needed clarification about the plugin and in what circumstances it would be applicable to use it.

Now that I have that knowledge, I have gone on to suggest that it would be extremely useful to have GJ check a game's EXE for changes and if one of such is a removal for the need of media then a profile would be updated to incorporate that.

Also, why would you need the media to re-create a profile of a game, whose EXE has been patched by devs so it wouldn't need the media? :doh:

Initially, I needed clarification about the plugin and in what circumstances it would be applicable to use it.

Now that I have that knowledge, I have gone on to suggest that it would be extremely useful to have GJ check a game's EXE for changes and if one of such is a removal for the need of media then a profile would be updated to incorporate that.

Also, why would you need the media to re-create a profile of a game, whose EXE has been patched by devs so it wouldn't need the media? :doh:

a doh.. heh im not the one who needed 3 pages of the same information for the concept to actually sink home...

gj could check the exe for changes sure, like an mds5/checksum, but how is it going to tell if media is needed or not from examining the exe, i doubt you've looked at many exe's (simply from your suggestion), but if you did, then you'd find they're typically encrypted, heavily obfuscated, and have anti debug 'traps'... for gamejackal to handle those i think would be way beyond its scope.... there's only a few protections you can tell if the cd/dvd check was removed, and of those, they're rare and not often used.

there are ways sure, but the development time required to impliment them i think could be better used for other things, such as bugfixing, tweaks and so on... and slysoft don't seem to be too interested in adding in a scanner

Well maybe not by checking the EXE but launching the game and if the drives aren't accessed then update the profile accordingly. I'm just wondering if GJ would be intelligent enough to notice a change in the way a game launches and adopt itself to the new circumstances 8)

at best, it can only detect a file difference, not what the difference actually is... the difference could be a multitude of things, update/patch, some virus modification...

look at it this way... can you look at a patch/update and say exactly what was changed (without looking at a changelog / notes etc)... by only looking at the binary?... because that's essentially what you're asking for... if it was automated it could lead to false positives.. if it was manual, false positives could still occour (different patches per country etc...), and would require some database to be used and maintained, bloating gamejackal quite a bit... i very much doubt even if it was automated that gj could tell from any analysis that cd/dvd check is removed and so on, because like i mentioned its not detectable that easily for most of the 'common' protections out there...

I'm just thinking that obviously GJ detects when creating a file whether the media is accessed or not. So I don't think it's too much of a stone's throw to think it would be possible to remove the media access if such is not needed.

Back