• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

GameJackal and GJ & NoCD

ivanX

Translator (ru)
Hi,

Just noticed that Matt added a NoCD plugin to the list of downloads. The description of the plugin puzzled me somewhat. It states:
This plugin allow you to create a profile for a game that does not require a CD / DVD to start. This is handy if you wish to start all your games from the Game Jackal interface.
So what's the difference between having GJ and having GJ with this plugin? Isn't GJ's job is to allow you to create a profile so you don't have to use CDs/DVDs? If so, then this plugin seems redundant. I'm not ungrateful, I'm just confused...:confused:

I think the idea of this plugin is to let you create profiles of games that do not require a CD so that cd-less games would appear in GJ's list of profiles.

I think the idea of this plugin is to let you create profiles of games that do not require a CD so that cd-less games would appear in GJ's list of profiles.

Ah, do you mean after installation there is no need for a CD/DVD to run? I doubt something like this would be stated on the packaging or something so a person would still go ahead and make a profile.

And how about if such capability is enabled through a patch that's issued by game's devs later on? (I think UT2k4 had that situation...)

pdp is correct. On the surface this seems like a strange plugin... however it was quite surprising the number of users that asked for this :agree:

pdp is correct. On the surface this seems like a strange plugin... however it was quite surprising the number of users that asked for this :agree:

So I'm still confused. Does that mean that without that plugin people aren't able to create GJ profiles for games that don't need CDs/DVDs?

if the game doesn't need the disk (ie: disk is only used to install), then gamejackal can't/won't make a profile, so you can't put that game in the launcher, however, with this plugin you can as it tells gamejackal just to launch the game.... think that clarifies things hopefully...

if the game doesn't need the disk (ie: disk is only used to install), then gamejackal can't/won't make a profile, so you can't put that game in the launcher, however, with this plugin you can as it tells gamejackal just to launch the game.... think that clarifies things hopefully...

Ah, I see now. So that plugin makes GJ a drag-and-drop area for shortcuts of games that don't need CDs/DVDs, right?

However, the 2nd question still stands: what if a patch by devs disables the need for CD/DVD check? Does that mean that a profile will be rendered useless and instead adding a shortcut will do?

more or less yep...
if a patch from the devs come that makes the exe have no protection / disk check then you should maybe make a new shortcut for the game instead of updating / deleting an existing profile

most of your questions you could easily answer yourself just by playing with the plugin...

if a patch from the devs come that makes the exe have no protection / disk check then you should maybe make a new shortcut for the game instead of updating / deleting an existing profile

In that case, if this plugin is not present then wouldn't the profile break since it's not possible to create a profile in the first place if no CD/DVD is needed?

most of your questions you could easily answer yourself just by playing with the plugin...

I don't happen to have any games that don't require media after installing them.

well then you don't need the plugin do you?

In that case, if this plugin is not present then wouldn't the profile break since it's not possible to create a profile in the first place if no CD/DVD is needed?

if the plugin isn't present you probably couldn't make a profile for the game considering the cd/dvd is not accessed.. thats the WHOLE POINT of the plugin...

if the plugin isn't present you probably couldn't make a profile for the game considering the cd/dvd is not accessed.. thats the WHOLE POINT of the plugin...

Initially, I might not need the plugin because a game would need the media, but later on it wouldn't need the media (after devs issue a patch) then would the profile break and would the plugin be needed to make the profile work?

Initially, I might not need the plugin because a game would need the media, but later on it wouldn't need the media (after devs issue a patch) then would the profile break and would the plugin be needed to make the profile work?

no idea, but this is a moot point anyway considering you've already mentioned that you have no games that don't require the cd... and we're just going round in circles...

no idea, but this is a moot point anyway considering you've already mentioned that you have no games that don't require the cd... and we're just going round in circles...

Actually, I have. It's Unreal Tournament 2004 and Warcraft III: The Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne. All 3 had patches issued by devs so people can play games without having the media in the drives.

I don't happen to have any games that don't require media after installing them.

well make your mind up then... either way, now you have some games that don't require the cd/dvd so you can test the plugin on them yourself
warcraft 3 had at least a cd/dvd media check in it until a recent patch came and took that out.. which is why its still in the game list (before you ask about that).... unreal tournament 2004 i think was the same but can't remember...

well make your mind up then... either way, now you have some games that don't require the cd/dvd so you can test the plugin on them yourself

But what I'm trying to get at is: was the plugin designed to incorporate the possibility of a game being patched by devs and no longer needing the media? If yes, then installing the plugin and updating the profile should work just fine. If not, then such profile would need to be removed and re-created.

Originally Posted by ivanX
If not, then such profile would need to be removed and re-created.
I think you would have to create a new profile utilising the no-cd plugin, since prior to patching the game you would have used the cd to create the original profile.

Last edited:
I think you would have to create a new profile utilising the no-cd plugin, since prior to patching the game you would have used the cd to create the original profile.

So it would be great if it could be possible for a profile to be updated without having to recreate.

it isn't too easy for the profile to be updated, after all game jackal can't (at the moment anyway) determine if some update removed the cd/dvd check or not.. even to do so would require a database sort of thing to have to be set up...

so the easiest (and best / hassle free imho) method is to make a new profile (or delete the one you have and make a new one using the nocd plugin)... not that difficult...

so the easiest (and best / hassle free imho) method is to make a new profile (or delete the one you have and make a new one using the nocd plugin)... not that difficult...

But the whole point of having GJ is so you don't have to have media with you. It's about create profile, does it work?, if yes then put away the media and forget about it. I'd rather GJ checked if the media requirement has been removed via a patch :D

sheesh...

you have game, it has protection, it requires cd/dvd to be present...
you make profile.. test profile, it should work...

-------------

you have the SAME game, but it has been updated, the update has no protection and no cd/dvd check... you DELETE your old profile (or rename it), and make a new profile for the game using the no-cd plugin (because the game doesn't need a cd/dvd present, because of the update... which, among other things removed the protection...

---------------

you have a new game, its unprotected and does not require the cd/dvd present to play... you make a new profile using the no-cd plugin.. job done...

---------------

i'd rather GJ checked of the media requirement has been removed via a patch

im guessing you are not a programmer.. how is gamejackal going to be able to tell if the game has a disk check or not (especially when its patched)? , it doesn't have a protection scanner built in... (if they need one they know who to contact...), and using heuristics to detect this is going to raise a lot of false positives.. and (as i explained earlier) will probably require some form of a database, which will have to be maintained, and is probably more hassle than its worth....

maybe its all clear now?

Back