• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Forced subtitles missing [D+]

You are right. Since I usually remux the mp4 files with handbrake to mkv, the forced subtitles got lost (since they are not marked as "forced", Handbrake ignores them). However, I checked the original mp4 files, and indeed there are subtitles in it, I just have to activate them. My further procedure will be now to remux with Handbrake AND burn-in the forced subtitles. Just tried that, it works as it should.

Have you already tried the MKVToolNix GUI?I only use this one and it works great.

Why don’t YOU try Handbrake?
Hi there,
You sound like you feel attacked by me. That was not my intention, I just wanted to make a suggestion to solve your problem.

To your question:

I also use Handbrake for special cases, such as shrinking BR rips.
As I understand Handbrake, the image and sound material is re-encoded and is therefore lossy; MKVToolNix does not do that, but simply merges the downloaded files without affecting the quality again.
And it offers the possibility of editing various settings (chapters, tags, etc.).

As I said, it was only a suggestion to solve your problem, not an attack.

Hi there,
You sound like you feel attacked by me. That was not my intention, I just wanted to make a suggestion to solve your problem.

To your question:

I also use Handbrake for special cases, such as shrinking BR rips.
As I understand Handbrake, the image and sound material is re-encoded and is therefore lossy; MKVToolNix does not do that, but simply merges the downloaded files without affecting the quality again.
And it offers the possibility of editing various settings (chapters, tags, etc.).

As I said, it was only a suggestion to solve your problem, not an attack.

Not at all I feel attacked - everything is fine :). I just did not see a reason to switch from my good old handbrake to another piece of software. Handbrake works well for me. However, now that you explained WHY you think MKVToolNix offers some advantages I will give it a try! Thanks for claryfying.

MKVToolnix, you simply add all the subs you want and you can also flag them with forced or default etc
no need to burn them in just mux em in (and as far as i know handbrake cant do remuxing only recode?)

I just tried MKVToolNix and could not find an easy way to change the audio track from eac3 to aac or whatever. Since I am using not only Kodi (no problem with eac3), but also Synology Video (which does not play movies with eac3 audio), I used Handbrake so far to convert mp4 to mkv and I even reduced intentionally the file size to about 50% of the original mp4 without visible quality loss on my 75“ TV.
AVIDemux offers a one-step pass-through video conversion from mp4 to mkv, meaning that just the audio is changed from eac3 to aac while the video quality stays the same. This would be my current choice for mp4 to mkv conversion.

Sorry for giving the feeling of not reading this post. Yes, it doesnt do that direcly, however, there are quite complicated (several steps of demuxing/remuxing) procedures based on MKVToolNix and further programs such as PopCorn audioconverter MKVExtractGUI and others. I tried that but stopped half de way since it is way to cumbersome...
Seems that Avidemux is the one-step solution (for me).

I'd like to suggest StaxRip again...
It might look difficult at first, but with the correct template (you can create one yourself) you can feed it multiple files or whole folders and mux/convert it to almost anything with about 3 or 4 clicks.
I use it to postprocess AnyStream Downloads to AC3-(multi)Audio MKV files with correct subtitles
Meaning the Audio is recoded, everything else is just remuxed.

I also did use handbrake (or some fork project) until I found Staxrip
Isn't recoding the whole video very time- and cpu-consuming?

With mkvtoolnix you have to be aware that if the codec is one which is not allowed in mkv (which is the case for at least one codec sometimes used for subs) it will not even show that stream

I'd like to suggest StaxRip again...
It might look difficult at first, but with the correct template (you can create one yourself) you can feed it multiple files or whole folders and mux/convert it to almost anything with about 3 or 4 clicks.
I use it to postprocess AnyStream Downloads to AC3-(multi)Audio MKV files with correct subtitles
Meaning the Audio is recoded, everything else is just remuxed.

I also did use handbrake (or some fork project) until I found Staxrip
Isn't recoding the whole video very time- and cpu-consuming?

StaxRip sounds interesting. One issue I just found out when I use AVIDemux that it does not remove black borders in the video. Handbrake did that. This means, the videos made by AVIDemux (as well as the original mp4) are not shown in full screen on my 4K monitor. That’s not quite elegant. StaxRip seems to be able to remove the black borders. Can you confirm that?

StaxRip sounds interesting. One issue I just found out when I use AVIDemux that it does not remove black borders in the video. Handbrake did that. This means, the videos made by AVIDemux (as well as the original mp4) are not shown in full screen on my 4K monitor. That’s not quite elegant. StaxRip seems to be able to remove the black borders. Can you confirm that?
Yes, just enable cropping

Keep in mind with cropping, that if the resulting output file's aspect ratio doesn't EXACTLY match the one of your display device (TV, PC monitor, ....) the display WILL ADD THEM BACK IN on-the-fly to properly fill the screen (or they will appear to be there, even though the black bars arent physically there in the file). This cannot be avoided

Keep in mind with cropping, that if the resulting output file's aspect ratio doesn't EXACTLY match the one of your display device (TV, PC monitor, ....) the display WILL ADD THEM BACK IN on-the-fly to properly fill the screen (or they will appear to be there, even though the black bars arent physically there in the file). This cannot be avoided

I dont expect that each video fills the screen completely - thats not possible without distortion. But without cropping the mp4 file, when I play the 1280*720 movie on my computer with VLC there are huge black frames all aroud the movie: obove, below, left, right. For some reason, VLC does not upscale to "full screen". My monitor is a Dell U3818DW (3840*1600). In Kodi and Synology Video, everything looks fine anyway.

Did you try pressing 'C' while playing? VLC then tries to crop on the fly and you can cycle through the different aspect ratios.

Did you try pressing 'C' while playing? VLC then tries to crop on the fly and you can cycle through the different aspect ratios.

It is not an aspect ratio problem. Obviously, this issue is quite old:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VLC/comments/4t8iti/how_to_force_vlc_to_keep_the_videos_aspect_ratio/

Check the screenshot of BionicDance in this thread, than you know what I mean:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112253

Could not find a setting in VLC so far which resizes the video so that it reaches to border of my monitor at least on bottom/top OR left/right (I dont want both).

Found the reason
My monitor is 21:9, and the black bars below and above the video are part of the video. Although it does not look like it, the video touches the edge of the monitor on op and on the bottom. And since the monitor is very wide, there are also black bars on the left and on the right which are NOT part of the video. The cropping feature of VLC helps here indeed!

Back