• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Firmware recommendation for 3-layer discs

I will say the NS60 is behaving well. While these aren't triple layer discs, I just picked up a very expensive, used, limited edition 3 disc set of Dawn of the Dead and am ripping it to my NAS now with zero issues. The used discs are in decent condition but still nice to know the NS60 isn't even batting an eye in ripping them.

I will say the NS60 is behaving well. While these aren't triple layer discs, I just picked up a very expensive, used, limited edition 3 disc set of Dawn of the Dead and am ripping it to my NAS now with zero issues. The used discs are in decent condition but still nice to know the NS60 isn't even batting an eye in ripping them.
Thanks for your feedback confirming my experience. I guess from here it will be the check: if WH16NS60 1.03 can't read it- please show me a firmware that can. Sam -your opinion?

My experience says that if 1.03 can't read it, it's either a lens issue (which these stupid drives have far too many of...quality is absolute garbage these days) or calibration data. That's when I pull the bu40n tank off the shelf. The Pio is going to have to go back in the case for a little bit though as I need to burn a disc for a friend. He got a region B blu-ray from overseas and can't play it on his region A blu-ray player. And Pio makes the best writers by far so I told him I'd take care of it for him. Expensive limited edition set sucks that he can't play it. It's why I like UHD so much better. I got the same set in UHD and had ZERO problems with region coding for some funny reason. LMAO (Yes that was a joke. UHD has no region coding...I'm well aware). In any case, the NS60 will stay in service until it fails me. So far so good.

F this drive. Even with 1.03 it sucks. I just ripped ST TMP Director's Edition to ISO. It was slower than dog s*** in winter. Then I switched to the non-Director's Edition to see if AnyDVD had the key and it wouldn't even recognize the disc. I power cycled the drive, restarted AnyDVD, etc. NOPE. Tried Wrath of Khan Director's Edition. Would not see the disc. So, enough of that. I put the Pio back and it's reading everything perfectly. The LG drives can burn in the depths of hell. No firmware is going to magically fix them.

Hey guys, I am new to the AnyDVD forums, but just started on my journey of backing up my 4k UHD discs for local playback on my shield. Before I even knew what a "UHD Friendly" drive was, I just went to Best Buy and bought an external blu-ray drive thinking it would just work, back when I use to backup regular blu-rays. ( My old ASUS regular blu-ray drive was mfg in 2010, and I ripped hundreds and hundreds of discs with that back in the day.)

Anyway back to the new 4k drive, I ended up getting the LG BP50NB40 w/svc code NB52. I ended up finding out I had to flash the firmware ( through the makemkv forums, and while this drive does read UHD disc's, its labeled on their forums as "Officalish". Some of my UHD discs burn/rip w/o issue or any errors. But then, I throw in a new 4k movie, like I just got today ( 4 pack of Star Trek UHD Movies ), and when just trying to rip it to mkv, I get all kinds of A/V sync issues, like over 60 show up will ripping. IDK if this is because these disc's are so new, or if its my "officalish" drive. I am thinking about returning it and getting a BU40n as it seems to be the premier choice for makemkv anyway.

My BP50NB40 ended up getting flashed to a BP60NB10 1.00-MK firmware, and that seemed to unlock its ability.

My question is tho, would I have a higher success rate / less of these av/sync issues going with a LG BU40N?

Or perhaps a pioneer drive that just works, like this one:
Code:
https://amzn.to/3TMUD7q
Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD - It kind of would be nice not to have to flash this drive, that way if you ever have to RMA it, the warranty isn't toast.

What's the community's thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bu40n works extremely well. If you want a desktop drive, get a Pioneer. That's it. Those are the recommendations IMO. Anything else ends up being a waste of time and an exercise in frustration no matter what firmware people think will magically fix it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Bu40n works extremely well. If you want a desktop drive, get a Pioneer. That's it. Those are the recommendations IMO. Anything else ends up being a waste of time and an exercise in frustration no matter what firmware people think will magically fix it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Understood. Unfortunately I have a micro desktop, so that leaves me with an external or a desktop drive with a usb to sata adapter. Would the external pioneer I listed above work just as good as the BU40N?

I don't understand what the interaction between MakeMKV and AnyDVD is supposed to be. I can rip the latest UHD ST TMP Director's Edition using MakeMKV just fine. But if I try to use AnyDVD on it, I get the "Cannot process request at this moment" error, which I assume is due to that disc not being supported yet. How does MakeMKV help AnyDVD in this situation?

I could use some help. I have an asus bw-16d1ht that I had never touched the firmware of til now. I came across this thread and thought every once in awhile I encounter read errors and maybe the firmware will help based on the context I’m reading. I am trying to rip zack Snyder’s justice league which had no issue with the second disc but read errors in both DeUhd and anydvd. I tried cleaning the disc. I followed the guide to upgrade to 3.10mk firmware which went through to the end and there was some error the flashed for a second (not sure what it said) but otherwise makemkv now recognizes it as the new firmware. I ran anydvd again and the disc gets further but still a read error. I’m also now a bit concerned about the end error at the firmware flashing and when I launch DeUhd in now says the drive isn’t supported. Any advice?

I could use some help. I have an asus bw-16d1ht that I had never touched the firmware of til now. I came across this thread and thought every once in awhile I encounter read errors and maybe the firmware will help based on the context I’m reading. I am trying to rip zack Snyder’s justice league which had no issue with the second disc but read errors in both DeUhd and anydvd. I tried cleaning the disc. I followed the guide to upgrade to 3.10mk firmware which went through to the end and there was some error the flashed for a second (not sure what it said) but otherwise makemkv now recognizes it as the new firmware. I ran anydvd again and the disc gets further but still a read error. I’m also now a bit concerned about the end error at the firmware flashing and when I launch DeUhd in now says the drive isn’t supported. Any advice?

Please post an AnyDVD log file.

Back